Patient Comments: Hemoglobin - Helped With Your Diagnosis

Question:Please describe how Hemoglobin has helped in your diagnosis.

Comment from: Amico, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 18

My mom is a 74 year old women, who is gone to the doctor regarding a fever, no energy, have a hard time breathing and moving. The doctor has told her the test came back as low hemoglobin. When she asked him for something for the pain he gave her Tylenol 3.

Comment from: looselinks, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

During my preo-op for extensive spine surgery, my CBC indicated low hemoglobin (9.0). I was shocked because mine usually runs around 16. For years, I gave blood to keep the hemoglobin lower. Needless to say, the surgery was cancelled, and I was fitted with a PICC line. I am scheduled for four iron infusions. I'd had 3 and the last one is next week. So far my hemoglobin has moved from 9 to 10.7, and I am hopeful that it will return to normal when I finish the infusions. My biggest concern is that a cause has not yet been determined although the GI doctor thinks it is caused by Cameron Lesions. Nothing showed on the upper GI, but I am scheduled for a colonoscopy in 10 days. I don't know if there is any cure other than repeating the iron infusions whenever the hemo drops again. This does not bode well for my delayed spine surgery.

Comment from: Therese, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 20

My father has continually a low hemoglobin count he has had hemoglobin transfusions in the past recently due to being required to have his gall bladder removed. In the past 15 years he has had his colon removed due to ulcerative colitis and a triple heart bypass, but seems to be doing poorly quite a lot. The doctor suggests his spleen could be attacking his organs and may need this removed. Can you help we need to know why his hemoglobin is very low all the time and why this could be caused by his spleen.

Published: April 09

I am a 48 year old woman recently diagnosed with AFib. When having breathing problems recently, the ER Doctor talked about an unusually high hemoglobin count. In fact, my level was 16 or 18 according to the doctor (not sure which, I was struggling to breath). He said that it was probably due to untreated asthma is this the likely cause, how it is treated, and how serious is it?

Comment from: Yvette, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

My doctor says, my hemoglobin is 8.2 and I really don't understand that. He says to stay off bread, potatoes, rice, and pasta. What do I eat?

Comment from: Jojo, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 15

My sister is very anemia right now, having need to go for blood transfusion every other month. She went through various tests such as gastroscopy, colonoscopy and capsule endoscopy but all suggested her entire digestive tract is normal. She discovered her anemia through faecal occult blood test, what could be her problem? What further test would you suggest?

Comment from: Kay, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

Thank you for the information. I donate blood regularly and the last 2 times my hemoglobin was low but they were able to take the donation. This last time it was down to 10.5 so I needed to know how to fix it. I eat a fairly healthy diet of meat, usually chicken, vegetables, fruits, and dairy. I also take a Shaklee Vitamin for those over 50+ so needed some more info. I have ordered the Iron + Vitamin C from Shaklee and hope it improves. My hemoglobin has always been high and I have no known bleeding problem.

Published: August 28

I am 59 years old. I have problems with low hemoglobin. I get blood tested every three to four weeks. Usually, I have to have a shot of Procrit. I had an autologus stem cell transplant in 2003 for amyloidosis. I'm doing OK so far. My kidneys were compromised. I notice when my hemoglobin is low, I have trouble with breathing and some fatigue.