Patient Comments: Hemoglobin - Helped With Your Diagnosis

Question:Please describe how Hemoglobin has helped in your diagnosis.

Comment from: karene, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

My hemoglobin level is at 9.0, and my doctor prescribe a small amount of iron to increase the level.

Comment from: boopgirl, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 03

My hemoglobin was checked because I have been experiencing fatigue. I am a 31-year-old woman, so my normal result should have been between 12-16 and mine was 8. Hopefully now with this treatment of iron, I will start to feel better again.

Comment from: Lost, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 19

I am a 31 yr old female and I am struggling with low Hemoglobin levels. I have a blood transfusion under my belt and now a chance of being placed on the drug, Procrit. This is very scary! Not knowing why I am not producing red blood cells is really keeping me down.

Comment from: anemicval, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I have low hemoglobin because of adenomyosis and severe menstrual bleeding. I was admitted to the hospital last month because my level was at 6.7. I was able to get it back up to 9. In trying to control the hormones that are causing the condition, I think it's low again. I am having heart-pounding issues just walking across the room. I feel as if I could pass out at any given moment. I have a difficult time breathing. I am tired, and I can't function at work either.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

My hemoglobin is very low right now it is at only 6 percent. I have bruising, and painful joints. My liver and kidneys are swelling up, and at times by 3 pm. I'm hurting so bad I wish for death to just come to me. I take depression pills but I don't think they work I have a very burning pain, pain blockers are not helping anymore. Does this sound to you like I have cancer of any kind? If so which kind?

Comment from: Avi, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 22

I am also just diagnosed with lower level of hemoglobin. I had a history of bleeding ulcer. I was told by my Dr. to take Aspirin .81mg every day. I think my Ulcer start bleeding again because of Aspirin. I will not eat any spicy food. Now I will start doing Yoga. Breathing exercise will help to bring normal hemoglobin.

Comment from: Amico, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 18

My mom is a 74 year old women, who is gone to the doctor regarding a fever, no energy, have a hard time breathing and moving. The doctor has told her the test came back as low hemoglobin. When she asked him for something for the pain he gave her Tylenol 3.

Comment from: looselinks, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

During my preo-op for extensive spine surgery, my CBC indicated low hemoglobin (9.0). I was shocked because mine usually runs around 16. For years, I gave blood to keep the hemoglobin lower. Needless to say, the surgery was cancelled, and I was fitted with a PICC line. I am scheduled for four iron infusions. I'd had 3 and the last one is next week. So far my hemoglobin has moved from 9 to 10.7, and I am hopeful that it will return to normal when I finish the infusions. My biggest concern is that a cause has not yet been determined although the GI doctor thinks it is caused by Cameron Lesions. Nothing showed on the upper GI, but I am scheduled for a colonoscopy in 10 days. I don't know if there is any cure other than repeating the iron infusions whenever the hemo drops again. This does not bode well for my delayed spine surgery.

Comment from: Therese, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 20

My father has continually a low hemoglobin count he has had hemoglobin transfusions in the past recently due to being required to have his gall bladder removed. In the past 15 years he has had his colon removed due to ulcerative colitis and a triple heart bypass, but seems to be doing poorly quite a lot. The doctor suggests his spleen could be attacking his organs and may need this removed. Can you help we need to know why his hemoglobin is very low all the time and why this could be caused by his spleen.