Patient Comments: Hemoglobin - Helped With Your Diagnosis

Question:Please describe how Hemoglobin has helped in your diagnosis.

Comment from: irfan, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 30

My wife is pregnant (9th month), and she also has hepatitis B. Since last month she is not feeling well and her hemoglobin level is 9.2. She is too weak.

Comment from: colpete, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 05

I received two infant kidneys on 10/12/07 that lasted 2 1/2 years and failed due to focal glomerulosclerosis. I have been on the wait list for another transplant for 4 1/2 years (I am AB+). I have been on dialysis over 4 years and I do not take EPO (erythropoietin) because my hemoglobin count has been high (15-18). My transplant doctor had me take a CT scan and found nothing except inactive cyst in my transplanted kidneys, he now wants me to see a hematologist which I can't for 3 weeks. I will be put on hold from the transplant list. He said he does not know what the problem is but wants me to see the hematologist.

Comment from: Mark, 45-54 Male Published: March 20

Dad passed out a couple weeks ago and was taken to the hospital. Since he has an existing heart condition, the doctors initially thought it was his heart. They tested his blood and informed us his hemoglobin count was down. They scoped his stomach and noticed erosion. He's on blood thinners daily and they gave him heparin when they thought it was his heart, so the erosion was considered a likely cause for blood loss. Why didn't they say his blood volume was low if he was bleeding and his hemoglobin count was down? I keep thinking it's because his white blood cell count is high due to infection or cancer.

Comment from: aya, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I am 15 weeks pregnant. I started to feel dizzy, not concentrated, palpitations and short breath. I feel like running in a marathon if just walked a short distance. I am taking my vitamins and iron daily since I knew that I am pregnant but still feel these symptoms and feel they are getting worse. My HB in week 7 was 10 and now it is 8. I need to know why the level is low with taking iron and prenatal vitamins every day.

Comment from: PrYnceZzMommA, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I am a 24 year old female, and I just delivered twins via c-section. At my 1 week postpartum appointment to have my staples taken out, they checked my hemoglobin because the nurse said that it had been low during my pregnancy. When they check it, it was a 7. The nurse said I looked very fatigued, said my skin was pretty pale. I was curious as to why I keep falling asleep all the time. It is so difficult to stay awake. I've always had a lower number, around a 10, but now it's lower. I am starting on iron pills to see if that will help, along with iron-rich foods. Hopefully, that helps. I need my energy back to take care of my 4 kids, all 4 and under.

Comment from: family manager, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

It should be mentioned that an elevated hemoglobin can be indicative of hemochromatosis, which is iron overload. This is a genetic disorder that causes your body to hold on to iron and store it in the major organs. It can be fatal if not treated early. If one has an elevated hgb, other blood work (TIBC, saturation and serum ferritn) should be checked. There is no cure for hemochromatosis but if detected early one can live a long,healthy live by giving blood and adhering to a low iron diet. I personally had a high hgb with no other signs - iron level high normal, sat within normal limits - only when I pressed further genetic testing (because of family history) did I find out that I have hemochromatosis. Now I give blood and watch my diet and keep my levels on the low side of normal

Comment from: sophia, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: April 22

My mother age 84 recently had a tumor removed from the cervical area of her spine. She recovered, but she did not recover yet from the wounds the rehab nursing home caused by not turning her over. Their response was she should have turned herself over. She could not due to stitches in her neck. They did not want to hear it. She also has Thalassemia minor and her hemoglobin keeps dropping. She had a transfusion and changed rehab places. Now the wound specialist tells us if her hemoglobin drops below 8.5 her wounds will not heal. The good thing is there is improvement with her wounds.