Patient Comments: Hemoglobin - Helped With Your Diagnosis

Question:Please describe how Hemoglobin has helped in your diagnosis.

Comment from: aya, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I am 15 weeks pregnant. I started to feel dizzy, not concentrated, palpitations and short breath. I feel like running in a marathon if just walked a short distance. I am taking my vitamins and iron daily since I knew that I am pregnant but still feel these symptoms and feel they are getting worse. My HB in week 7 was 10 and now it is 8. I need to know why the level is low with taking iron and prenatal vitamins every day.

Comment from: llhunter71, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

I have alpha thalasemia (2 alleles missing) trait and iron deficiency anemia. Having my hemoglobin along with my ferritin levels checked on a regular basis helps keep my disorder in check. I have had 2 blood transfusions and 4 iron infusions when my levels dropped dangerously low (I have been as low as 5.7). Without the tests being done, I could have died with even the slightest trauma. Right now my level is 12.7 thanks to a new infusion treatment done in my hematologist's office. I am monitored every 2 months now. While my thalasemia is always going to be a minor annoyance, iron deficiency can be deadly if left unmonitored and untreated!

Comment from: karene, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

My hemoglobin level is at 9.0, and my doctor prescribe a small amount of iron to increase the level.

Comment from: family manager, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

It should be mentioned that an elevated hemoglobin can be indicative of hemochromatosis, which is iron overload. This is a genetic disorder that causes your body to hold on to iron and store it in the major organs. It can be fatal if not treated early. If one has an elevated hgb, other blood work (TIBC, saturation and serum ferritn) should be checked. There is no cure for hemochromatosis but if detected early one can live a long,healthy live by giving blood and adhering to a low iron diet. I personally had a high hgb with no other signs - iron level high normal, sat within normal limits - only when I pressed further genetic testing (because of family history) did I find out that I have hemochromatosis. Now I give blood and watch my diet and keep my levels on the low side of normal

Comment from: sophia, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: April 22

My mother age 84 recently had a tumor removed from the cervical area of her spine. She recovered, but she did not recover yet from the wounds the rehab nursing home caused by not turning her over. Their response was she should have turned herself over. She could not due to stitches in her neck. They did not want to hear it. She also has Thalassemia minor and her hemoglobin keeps dropping. She had a transfusion and changed rehab places. Now the wound specialist tells us if her hemoglobin drops below 8.5 her wounds will not heal. The good thing is there is improvement with her wounds.

Comment from: JanetM757, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 08

I'm a 61 year old female who recently requested blood tests normally given to diagnose possible causes for sudden, profuse hair loss. In doing so, I saw my red blood cell count, hemoglobin and hematocrit were all low. With low total protein and globulin, but high carbon dioxide. If hemoglobin is low I guess that explains the low total protein, but high carbon dioxide since it is the carrier, one way or the other for both. I was surprised my doctor told me I don't need any further concern over my blood work and not to worry. I assume I'm anemic, I am cold all the time (in South Florida, love my ice in water, sleep 12 hours, wake up and want to sleep more (good thing I'm retired). I had surgery 6 months ago for a twisted colon, and from that I got a hernia. I wonder if somehow that caused anemia, and wish I knew what is causing this anemia if I knew, I could hopefully stop my hair falling out. Not only is it falling out, but it's terribly dry with breakage, and has turned frizzy like cotton candy. Anemia just has to be the reason for my "poisoned" hair and my doctor seems disinterested in my blood test results.

Comment from: boopgirl, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 03

My hemoglobin was checked because I have been experiencing fatigue. I am a 31-year-old woman, so my normal result should have been between 12-16 and mine was 8. Hopefully now with this treatment of iron, I will start to feel better again.