Patient Comments: Hematoma - Treatments

What type of hematoma did you experience and what was the treatment?

Comment from: Joe, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: May 13

I experienced a sharp pain in my left thigh. It felt like a football injury I had in my school days and it was then called a charley horse. I went to the doctor and after conferring with another it was describe as an intramuscular hematoma. The pain was very bad and no treatment was offered then but since I was told to put ice on it. The doctor told me it would be about 4 weeks before recovery. It's been a week now and it is slowly getting better.

Comment from: happy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I had blood taken from my arm which spurted out as the needle left. Immediately I felt a throbbing pain and within half hour a large bruise began to develop. For the next 2 weeks I was in agony - couldn"t bend my arm, I couldn"t sleep at night with the pain and felt sick with it. I went to doctors who confirmed it as a hematoma and said if I didn"t start to move my arm I would end up with restricted movement! There was no treatment for this. I sympathize with anyone who has one.

Comment from: Angel, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I tripped over and got my leg hung up in an electric fence, very low to the ground while trying to step over it. It cut my leg very deep and wide from the back of my right calf to the front of my shin bone, about a 5 and a half inch cut and 4 inches apart. It took 18 stitches on the outside and a running stitch on the inside and it was very swollen and deep. It's been 10 days and I'm on antibiotics and elevation, and some ice, able to walk well. I've not had much pain these last few days, but when I went to get the stitches taken out, the cut wanted to separate, and the hematoma was so painful to the touch, I could barely stand it. I have new prescription of antibiotics for 5 more days and then will have to go from there to see if stitches will be ready then. Till then it is just more of the same, stay off of it more, elevate it more and ice it more often, other than that it's been doing really well. It is bruised and some skin looks black, but it's starting to look better now, just hope these five days goes by quickly.

Comment from: MustangJudy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

A little over 3 weeks ago, an adult cow (approximately 1100 lbs) shoved me with her head against a wooden fence. She hit my upper left thigh hard and I scrambled on top of the fence. For the next 30 minutes or so I was involved in herding the rest of the cattle, before I finally got inside and checked my leg. A dark purple area with a bright red center was on my upper thigh, measuring about 6" x 5". There was some moderate swelling of the upper half of my thigh, with a lot of pain. I lay on the couch and applied ice for about 45 minutes and took a nap. Over the next few days, I took it easy - no exercise routine, limited my walking, and generally minimized my activity. The hematoma remained warm to the touch, and the area swollen, with increased swelling later in the day and less in the morning. I didn't take anything for the pain or swelling, and over the next couple of weeks, the swelling has slowly decreased. About a week ago, I noticed a hardened area under the skin of about 1/3 of the hematoma. At the same time, I've noticed an increase in tenderness down the outer side of my left thigh and also from the front down to the knee - there was a lot of pain in these areas when I was first injured, but so far no obvious sign of injury. The hematoma has turned from all purple with central bright redness, to an expanding lighter area, from the center on out, with a purple peripheral boundary. The size has remained the same. I still feel and can see swelling, even though it has gone down quite a bit. I'm still not exercising, believing it's too early yet and will probably increase the swelling. This is taking much longer to heal than I ever would have predicted, and lets me know that ol' "Bessie" gave me one hell of a good bump! I tell my farmer boyfriend that I am now an official "farm girl"!

Comment from: Noni, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I had a hematoma removal in February. I was involved in an accident in 2008 and bumped my head against the windscreen. I went into the hospital, the wound was cleaned and I left and went home. Months later I realized that there was a bump growing on my head. It wasn't painful at all until last year when it started swelling up and it was getting bigger and bigger. I went to my doctor and was transferred to the hospital. I had a CT brain done and I was then admitted and sent to the theater the next day to have the hematoma removal. In my case it seems like a misdiagnosis because when they operated it wasn't blood that came out but a fatty white muscle like substance which they suspected was a cyst.

Hematoma - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with hematoma.
Hematoma - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your hematoma?
Hematoma - Diagnosis Question: How was your hematoma diagnosed?