Patient Comments: Hematoma - Treatments

What type of hematoma did you experience and what was the treatment?

Comment from: BikeRider11, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: October 01

I had a motorcycle crash about a month ago now and at the time it left me with what's known as road rash. But 2 weeks into the healing process I found that my leg started to burn and itch really badly so I went to the doctors and they said I had a hematoma within my thigh muscle. To this day it is about the size of a small dinner plate and sticks out 3 and a half inches from where my normal skin level would be. Docs gave me antibiotics which are still in the process of healing it. They also said that I would have to have it for about 6 months! So 1 month 1 week down the line it still hurts badly and will still hurt for the next 5 months!

Comment from: beth, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I had an incision down the middle of my tummy in 2003. The doctors found non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, and they had to resection some of my intestines. A year later I had hernia surgery at the incision site. Now, it is 2015 and the doctor found a hematoma (fluctuating hard lump) in the old incision. He removed it and put in a drain. My hemoglobin dropped and I was given 2 units of blood. I am now at home and the drain is in place and such a worry. I fear that I will never reach the minimum output in a 24 hour period. I am a 72 year old female.

Comment from: beaver, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I had 2 walnut sized encapsulated hematomas removed from between the pectoral muscles in the chest wall. They were attached to the subclavian vein. No known injury to site, but came up overnight with pain. Surgeon actually thought they were lymph nodes.

Comment from: Dinah 1939, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 03

I am in agony, I just got out of the hospital after 8 days with atrial fibrillation. The day I left I had this pain like a hot poker in the appendix area, but the appendix is gone anyway. The next three days have been awful. They did a CT scan of the belly and said it is a hematoma and I will just have to live with it and pain pills, supposedly it will get better over weeks. I am on Coumadin and also am a type 1 diabetic so a total depressed hurting mess. It is so painful I rate it a 9.

Comment from: Abeyratne, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 08

I had a right inguinal hernia surgery on 1st July. The next day doctors noticed a hematoma around the wound. Gradually, swelling, especially in the penis and scrotum, developed. I am taking antibiotics, I have no pain but am uneasy.

Comment from: jackson r., 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 21

I am the grandma of a one year old grandson son who was born with a hematoma. They sent him when he was a baby saying not to worry, it would go away as he got older. He get no medicine and it seems like going away to me.

Comment from: j72, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: June 08

I have a hematoma in the arm from a fall; it covers the arm.

Comment from: katmccan, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

I have a hematoma in the lower right abdomen.

Hematoma - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with hematoma.
Hematoma - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your hematoma?
Hematoma - Diagnosis Question: How was your hematoma diagnosed?