Patient Comments: Hematoma - Treatments

What type of hematoma did you experience and what was the treatment?

Comment from: Bonnie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 01

Right after gallbladder surgery in the recovery room the nurse noticed a hematoma and they took me back for more surgery. Coming from first surgery I had caught and broke a stich and that's how it happened. I ended up in the hospital 5 days because of it.

Comment from: ParrotSue, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

I fell through a deck board and bruised my right leg all the way around. After 4 weeks bruise is gone but I developed a hematoma. Now after 7 weeks the hematoma is the size of a softball above and to the right of my knee. I had it drained by the orthopedist and he got 80 cc from it. I went back today because it is bigger again and the orthopedist doesn't want to open it up and drain for fear of infection. I can't wear pants and am constantly banging it. He did do a MRI to see extent of the injury and why it is filled up again. He told me it could be a year before it dissolves on its own. It is going to be a long summer with no shorts.

Comment from: BikeRider11, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: October 01

I had a motorcycle crash about a month ago now and at the time it left me with what's known as road rash. But 2 weeks into the healing process I found that my leg started to burn and itch really badly so I went to the doctors and they said I had a hematoma within my thigh muscle. To this day it is about the size of a small dinner plate and sticks out 3 and a half inches from where my normal skin level would be. Docs gave me antibiotics which are still in the process of healing it. They also said that I would have to have it for about 6 months! So 1 month 1 week down the line it still hurts badly and will still hurt for the next 5 months!

Comment from: beth, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I had an incision down the middle of my tummy in 2003. The doctors found non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, and they had to resection some of my intestines. A year later I had hernia surgery at the incision site. Now, it is 2015 and the doctor found a hematoma (fluctuating hard lump) in the old incision. He removed it and put in a drain. My hemoglobin dropped and I was given 2 units of blood. I am now at home and the drain is in place and such a worry. I fear that I will never reach the minimum output in a 24 hour period. I am a 72 year old female.

Comment from: beaver, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I had 2 walnut sized encapsulated hematomas removed from between the pectoral muscles in the chest wall. They were attached to the subclavian vein. No known injury to site, but came up overnight with pain. Surgeon actually thought they were lymph nodes.

Comment from: Chris, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 26

I take an elderly (73) lady from church to her doctor's appointments. She fell one time and developed a large bump on the outside of her elbow. It is not discolored and one doctor said she had a hematoma and to ice it and wrap it. She did for a couple of days but she isn't quite all there and forgets stuff. She went to a different doctor and he said it wasn't a hematoma but sent her to a specialist and he said it is a hematoma and it needs to be removed as soon as possible. We don't know who or what to believe!

Comment from: tink, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: July 03

I fell and injured my abdomen, and now have hematoma that is impacting my bladder and giving me blood flowing with urine. I am hooked up to a catheter now.

Comment from: jhun, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 28

I had an intramuscular and subungual hematoma.

Hematoma - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with hematoma.
Hematoma - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your hematoma?
Hematoma - Diagnosis Question: How was your hematoma diagnosed?