Patient Comments: Hematoma - Treatments

What type of hematoma did you experience and what was the treatment?

Comment from: firearcher02, Published: June 02

After 2 days delivering my first child back in 2007 and was ready to go home. The nurse checked my temperature and blood pressure; I was not allowed to go home. Had a high fever and high blood pressure that was above normal. The nurses and doctor noticed outside my vaginal area on the side was swollen and realized I have hematoma. So was taken to surgery to cut open the swollen area and let it bleed out. Stayed in the hospital for a week and had to most painful experience whenever the doctors come to get the gauze replaced every 4 hours (the gauze was inside the vaginal). It has been 3 years now and the wound has healed but it is sensitive to the touch.

Comment from: dana, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

Intramuscular hematoma - Leg, below knee left of shin. Two weeks ago, applied ice for first few hours. Leg and ankle/foot swelling although kept leg elevated and limited mobility. To doctor 10 days later - hematoma diagnosed with antibiotic prescribed plus light wrap with Ace bandage. Return visit 4 days without major improvement obvious. Told to continue to observe, another course of antibiotics prescribed when complete first round if no improvement. Continue wrap, no aspirin, no major exercise although light important to avoid blood clot and loosen stiffness. Expect up to 6 - 8 weeks of healing.

Comment from: Barb, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I have a large hematoma in my groin from a fall. It has become red and inflamed and the actual hematoma is very firm. At first I was told to apply ice, which I did. As it became worse, my doctor added antibiotics and said to apply heat, as cellulitis had developed. After three days of Keflex and heat, the redness has become smaller but the hematoma is more red, firm and sore. I am in a quandary. I'm a retired RN, and I don't like the looks of it.

Comment from: frsully, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

I was in a serious car accident on May 27. I have a huge hematoma on the top of my head. The trauma center was more interested in other injuries. They told me it would dissolve over time. I don't know if I should contact my family doctor or someone else.

Comment from: slep rock, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 17

My foot slipped off of the running board on my Tahoe, left front lower leg just to the left of the shin bone was scraped. Area is the size of a baseball-softball; warm and bruised.

Comment from: Melissa, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I had my lap band removed and a hematoma formed near the left side under my incision near my umbilicus.

Comment from: Adnan, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 21

I had lumps (hematomas) from the blood thinning injection (Flexin 100) in arms and tummy. The most painful one is the one in my tummy. I have G6PD deficiency.

Comment from: Tinker, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 02

I have had two rounds of cortisone injections in my knees. Over some months, both knees became noticeably white, as if bleached. Then some months later, I had "spontaneous" hematomas appear on both knees. They fade and then more appear. One is now on my shin as well. There is no pain.

Hematoma - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with hematoma.
Hematoma - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your hematoma?
Hematoma - Diagnosis Question: How was your hematoma diagnosed?