Patient Comments: Hematoma - Treatments

What type of hematoma did you experience and what was the treatment?

Comment from: couldonlyhappentome, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 09

I fell over a box of magazines on in October of 2011 and instantly developed massive swelling of the right lateral calf. I went to doctor that day, who saw no fracture and was sent home. One week later, I ended up in the hospital with a severe case of cellulitis of the calf due to the massive swelling. I was in the hospital for five days. The swelling persisted. I had an MRI, which revealed a large hematoma. I had it surgically evacuated in November of 2011. Then, two weeks after surgery, the doctor had to open the incision to allow it to drain. Fluid had collected in the space left by the blood clot. It is still open, and healing very slowly – all due to tripping over a box of magazines.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 09

I had hernia surgery eight weeks ago. A hematoma formed and ruptured at the incision site. It has been draining for four weeks now. The site will not heal and I'm wondering if the mesh should be taken out because of the infection.

Comment from: 65-74 Female Published: April 09

I fell hard face-down on a gravel road. My brow bone and cheek bone were involved and turned black and blue very fast. It was classified as deep-tissue bruising. It has been going on for three months now and I still have swelling on my cheek bone and have shooting pain. Sometimes it feels like pins and needles. I'm not sure what kind of doctor could treat this.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I fell down the stairs and developed a very large hematoma just below my knee in addition to a lot of bruising of the leg. The treatment for my hematoma consisted of going to physical therapy two times a week for six weeks. They massaged the leg, applied cold/hot compresses and did ultrasound treatments.

Comment from: Scared, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

I had a cyst removed/drained from my breast. About half an hour later, I felt a terrible pain and discovered a large hematoma had leaked into the lower half of the breast. I am now in more pain than when I had the cyst. The blood is very dark and skin is sensitive and sore. I used ice packs the first day, per the doctor's instructions, but it is still hurting and looks horrible. I'm afraid it will cause more problems if it doesn't go away soon.

Comment from: lucylee, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 16

My friend had a hernia operation, it turned out that the doctor nipped a blood vessel and it caused a hematoma. She has been in a lot of pain and still is in a lot of pain, and the blood is leaking out of the site. She has been taking warfarin for a long time now, and the doctor has put her on strong antibiotics. The doctor said it could take up to a year before the hematoma any better. My friend is in her seventies and can hardly walk with the pain. She is always crying, can nothing be done to help her.

Comment from: pilgrim30, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 08

I am a 79-year-old female. I was on Warfarin and was scheduled for shoulder surgery. I was put on self-injected Lovenox. That started a "bleed" on my belly, resulting in a hematoma. Five injections later, I had a "spontaneous bleed" that resulted in a hematoma on the front of my shoulder. It is two weeks later and both hematomas are with me as is most of the bruising. The bleed "bruised" my torso almost completely on the right side and some of the left. The right arm is almost totally covered with a "bruise." My doctor wants to evacuate the shoulder hematoma and still do surgery.

Comment from: Nzingha, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I developed hematoma to the left of my ankle on my right foot. The doc punctured it with a needle and squeezed out most of the blood but since it has dried up I notice that there's still a hardened and raised area which suggests that some is still left there. This is no longer hurting but I don't feel comfortable walking around with this raised area on my foot. I am diabetic and hypertensive and have been taking an aspirin daily. He gave me anti-biotic and painkiller.

Hematoma - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with hematoma.
Hematoma - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your hematoma?
Hematoma - Diagnosis Question: How was your hematoma diagnosed?