Patient Comments: Hematoma - Treatments

What type of hematoma did you experience and what was the treatment?

Comment from: Noni, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I had a hematoma removal in February. I was involved in an accident in 2008 and bumped my head against the windscreen. I went into the hospital, the wound was cleaned and I left and went home. Months later I realized that there was a bump growing on my head. It wasn't painful at all until last year when it started swelling up and it was getting bigger and bigger. I went to my doctor and was transferred to the hospital. I had a CT brain done and I was then admitted and sent to the theater the next day to have the hematoma removal. In my case it seems like a misdiagnosis because when they operated it wasn't blood that came out but a fatty white muscle like substance which they suspected was a cyst.

Comment from: lilrev, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I developed a bad cold and was coughing profusely and thought I had hurt the abdominal muscle, but in the meantime had fallen and felt unusual pain in abdomen slightly for almost two weeks. It became excruciating pain which landed me in hospital where white cell count was up, so I was placed on pain medications and antibiotics. I left hospital the next day. I am still in pain but not nearly as bad as two days ago. I was told to wait, take it easy and hematoma would likely resolve itself.

Comment from: Chip, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 05

I have a hematoma resting on my left chest area. It is not painful and unless I probe. RICE (rest, ice, compression, and elevation) treatment has been suggested.

Comment from: marilyn, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I fell from a chair when I was attempting to clean the valance on top of my vertical blinds. The valance came off and hit me and I was knocked off of the chair. I got a huge bruise (hematoma) in the center of lower left leg and bruising all the way down my leg. Next day it was worse so I went in to see a doctor to see what was wrong. I went back in to see my primary care physician yesterday, and he just said it takes a long time for a hematoma to heal. It is going on 16 days now and after using heat for 10 minutes 3 times a day, the swelling of the hematoma hasn't gone down much at all, but the bruising has gone down my leg, past the ankle and my left leg is very painful. I have done everything the doctor has told me to do and it looks and feels painful still.

Comment from: charie brown, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 25

I ripped my left calf and it bled badly. It happened on July 12, 2013 and I've been to two doctors. One of the doctors says I'm too old for an operation and I also have diabetic type two. I also have been graced with being told I have bamboo spine. It hurts 24/7 standing, lying down, walking over 2 blocks, and sitting for a prolonged period. I hope that it won't get any worse, hope I don't have a bad health risk with this hematoma.

Comment from: Live & Love, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I recently found 2 lumps in one of my breasts. It has been 2 weeks since my biopsy and I have a lump a bit bigger than the size of a peach pit in my breast. The doctor told me today that it was significant hematoma and the sharp pains and burning I feel may all be in my head. After reading everyone's stories, I do feel better now, knowing that I am not crazy. However, she also told me it could take months to go away or there is a chance it may never go away. I cringe at the thought of having to deal with this for the rest of my life.

Comment from: minimoo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I fell over a large box of books and my tummy ended up black and blue. A couple of weeks later I felt a large hard mass under my tummy skin. At times it was a bit tender but nothing else. My doctor said it was probably as a result of the fall and would just shrink and disappear. Yesterday I started with rectal bleeding (not loads) and there was no pain. I noticed that my lump had shrunk and so I guess that's where the blood came from. I will go back to the doctors if it worsens.

Comment from: Inquiring Mind, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

About four weeks ago, I fell and the fall resulted in a recently diagnosed hematoma of the right inside shin. I continued my work and play activities until recently when the injury hurt too much. There's heat surrounding the area, swelling, and an infection. My physician has me on antibiotics for 10 days and extended them for another 10. Ice packs, elevation, and a slight reduction in activities have been suggested. This is proving to be more of an inconvenience to this active senior. I pray for patience.

Hematoma - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with hematoma.
Hematoma - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your hematoma?
Hematoma - Diagnosis Question: How was your hematoma diagnosed?