Patient Comments: Hematoma - Treatments

What type of hematoma did you experience and what was the treatment?

Comment from: curling gal, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

Fell on 3 curling stones 4 weeks ago, top leg hit one of the handles on a curling stone and a large hematoma developed. It has gone down in size but worried about a clot moving through the body. It is still quite large and sore.

Comment from: patrick goldston, 55-64 Male Published: May 07

I recently had a bone spur removed from my big toe approximately six months ago. Now I notice my toenail is turning purple and the pain is getting worse.

Comment from: hurts, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

I had a hematoma following a chemo port removal. It's still there a week later, with a large black and blue area.

Comment from: wynn els, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 24

I had prostatectomy, and a large hematoma developed in my pelvic area, pushing against my bladder and rectum. I had CT scans to monitor it and was told it will take months for my body to absorb this. I was on Lovenox before surgery. I'd like to know if any others have experienced this or a similar situation.

Comment from: Conrad, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 17

I got a hematoma on my thigh about a year ago. I was pitched between two trucks. I still have a lump on my leg and it hurts from time to time. The doctor said about six weeks after it happened that it's fatty tissue now and doesn't seem to be doing anything. I'm wondering if I should still have a lump on my leg, if it should still hurt, and if it is fatty tissue. Maybe I should get a second opinion.

Comment from: Jade, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 10

I have a hematoma on the inside of my left elbow following an operation to remove malignant cells from my upper arm. I had reconstructive surgery, in which they used a flap of tissue and skin from my thigh. It is right in the crease of my arm and is a hard red/purple color with yellow bruising around it. This has gone down in size, leaving just the red solid area. I can't straighten my arm at the moment, as it pulls tightly on the hard area that is the hematoma. I am having physical therapy. I have been told to massage the area and do exercises with my arm. They said will go away and I will have full mobility once again.

Comment from: bbrown, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 09

My hematoma is located on my front thigh. I recently had hip replacement surgery. The hematoma is deep, and close to the femur bone. My leg aches, but the hematoma does not hurt when I press on it.

Comment from: couldonlyhappentome, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 09

I fell over a box of magazines on in October of 2011 and instantly developed massive swelling of the right lateral calf. I went to doctor that day, who saw no fracture and was sent home. One week later, I ended up in the hospital with a severe case of cellulitis of the calf due to the massive swelling. I was in the hospital for five days. The swelling persisted. I had an MRI, which revealed a large hematoma. I had it surgically evacuated in November of 2011. Then, two weeks after surgery, the doctor had to open the incision to allow it to drain. Fluid had collected in the space left by the blood clot. It is still open, and healing very slowly – all due to tripping over a box of magazines.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 09

I had hernia surgery eight weeks ago. A hematoma formed and ruptured at the incision site. It has been draining for four weeks now. The site will not heal and I'm wondering if the mesh should be taken out because of the infection.

Hematoma - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with hematoma.
Hematoma - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your hematoma?
Hematoma - Diagnosis Question: How was your hematoma diagnosed?