Patient Comments: Hematoma - Treatments

What type of hematoma did you experience and what was the treatment?

Comment from: charie brown, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 25

I ripped my left calf and it bled badly. It happened on July 12, 2013 and I've been to two doctors. One of the doctors says I'm too old for an operation and I also have diabetic type two. I also have been graced with being told I have bamboo spine. It hurts 24/7 standing, lying down, walking over 2 blocks, and sitting for a prolonged period. I hope that it won't get any worse, hope I don't have a bad health risk with this hematoma.

Comment from: slep rock, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 17

My foot slipped off of the running board on my Tahoe, left front lower leg just to the left of the shin bone was scraped. Area is the size of a baseball-softball; warm and bruised.

Comment from: Live & Love, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I recently found 2 lumps in one of my breasts. It has been 2 weeks since my biopsy and I have a lump a bit bigger than the size of a peach pit in my breast. The doctor told me today that it was significant hematoma and the sharp pains and burning I feel may all be in my head. After reading everyone's stories, I do feel better now, knowing that I am not crazy. However, she also told me it could take months to go away or there is a chance it may never go away. I cringe at the thought of having to deal with this for the rest of my life.

Comment from: minimoo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I fell over a large box of books and my tummy ended up black and blue. A couple of weeks later I felt a large hard mass under my tummy skin. At times it was a bit tender but nothing else. My doctor said it was probably as a result of the fall and would just shrink and disappear. Yesterday I started with rectal bleeding (not loads) and there was no pain. I noticed that my lump had shrunk and so I guess that's where the blood came from. I will go back to the doctors if it worsens.

Comment from: Inquiring Mind, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

About four weeks ago, I fell and the fall resulted in a recently diagnosed hematoma of the right inside shin. I continued my work and play activities until recently when the injury hurt too much. There's heat surrounding the area, swelling, and an infection. My physician has me on antibiotics for 10 days and extended them for another 10. Ice packs, elevation, and a slight reduction in activities have been suggested. This is proving to be more of an inconvenience to this active senior. I pray for patience.

Comment from: firearcher02, Published: June 02

After 2 days delivering my first child back in 2007 and was ready to go home. The nurse checked my temperature and blood pressure; I was not allowed to go home. Had a high fever and high blood pressure that was above normal. The nurses and doctor noticed outside my vaginal area on the side was swollen and realized I have hematoma. So was taken to surgery to cut open the swollen area and let it bleed out. Stayed in the hospital for a week and had to most painful experience whenever the doctors come to get the gauze replaced every 4 hours (the gauze was inside the vaginal). It has been 3 years now and the wound has healed but it is sensitive to the touch.

Comment from: dana, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

Intramuscular hematoma - Leg, below knee left of shin. Two weeks ago, applied ice for first few hours. Leg and ankle/foot swelling although kept leg elevated and limited mobility. To doctor 10 days later - hematoma diagnosed with antibiotic prescribed plus light wrap with Ace bandage. Return visit 4 days without major improvement obvious. Told to continue to observe, another course of antibiotics prescribed when complete first round if no improvement. Continue wrap, no aspirin, no major exercise although light important to avoid blood clot and loosen stiffness. Expect up to 6 - 8 weeks of healing.

Comment from: Barb, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I have a large hematoma in my groin from a fall. It has become red and inflamed and the actual hematoma is very firm. At first I was told to apply ice, which I did. As it became worse, my doctor added antibiotics and said to apply heat, as cellulitis had developed. After three days of Keflex and heat, the redness has become smaller but the hematoma is more red, firm and sore. I am in a quandary. I'm a retired RN, and I don't like the looks of it.

Hematoma - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with hematoma.
Hematoma - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your hematoma?
Hematoma - Diagnosis Question: How was your hematoma diagnosed?