Patient Comments: Hematoma - Experience

Please describe your experience with hematoma.

Comment from: Mama, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I was bitten by a pit bull on the front of my thigh. It was not stitched so it would allow the blood to flush the germs out. I bled for three days. The bruising went from my knee to the upper area of my thigh. The lump that formed under the skin was approximately 4x4 inches. Once the punctures were healed, I used a body massager, hand massage, and the water jets in the hot tub to stimulate and break up the clot. It took just over a year for it to feel normal again.

Comment from: Billy, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 01

After a fall from a ladder, both of my upper arms had hematomas on the inside. Left arm was worse with a 2 inch wide by apparently one inch or more deep hematoma that was very painful, with intermittent sharp bee-sting like shooting pains, heat and radiating discoloration up and down the arm. Being on anticoagulants, my doctor prescribed hydrocodone for pain. Hot Epsom salt baths for 1 hour soaks reduce swelling and discoloration around the hematoma, at least temporarily. Restful inactivity also proved beneficial. It had been one week since the fall, and there has been some improvement, but I go back to the doctor tomorrow to see if more aggressive treatment is required.

Comment from: AnnieB, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I had a bone graft taken from my left hip used to pack around a broken clavicle late January2014. A grapefruit sized hematoma developed. I have had it drained 3 times but it just keeps re-emerging within hours and is very painful. I may have a drain placed to go home with and see if that helps.

Comment from: Donna, 19-24 (Caregiver) Published: February 06

I am a nurse and I haven't experienced any hematoma but I have met and see many patients who have hematoma. Last week, there was one emergency case that we did at the operation theater for the problem of hematoma. She had perineal repair after lacerations from giving birth. What I saw was a very big abscess with bruises and lots of bleeding. The woman was in pain. So what the doctor did was, he removed all the stitches and removed all the blood clots and re stitched again. After one hour the hematoma is getting small and the bleeding is controlled.

Comment from: patimb7, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: February 03

My mother was bumped as the nurse was removing the wheelchair while helping my mother onto a treatment table in her pain management doctor's office. She was fine while she was horizontal. When they put her back into the wheelchair, her shin literally blew up. The doctor decided to aspirate it by injecting her with a syringe and drawing out the fluid. All that happened was that she began bleeding profusely (the hospital was next door). My mother suffered for seven months until she passed away. The general consensus was that she contracted osteomyelitis, most likely from trying to be aspirated for the hematoma.

Comment from: PamelaDeDah, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

At the age of four I put my arm in the old wringer washer. The area near my elbow has a huge scar. My mother said it happened after the bruise burst and bled. It"s an interesting scar, it"s raised and looks like a topical photo of a mountain range. The surrounding skin of this mountain range looks stretched and feathered on the edges. Ice was used during the healing.

Comment from: Smitty, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: February 07

While swimming, my head struck the side of the pool. A month later, I started to act funny, finally was rushed to the emergency room and was diagnosed with a hematoma; a blood vessel ruptured and the blood was putting pressure against the brain. They drilled two holes in the right side of my head to relieve the blood pressure, everything has turned out okay.

Hematoma - Treatments Question: What type of hematoma did you experience and what was the treatment?
Hematoma - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your hematoma?
Hematoma - Diagnosis Question: How was your hematoma diagnosed?