Patient Comments: Hematoma - Experience

Please describe your experience with hematoma.

Comment from: Okra, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 28

I take no blood thinners but experience spontaneous hemorrhages of the hands, wrists and eyes. All are preceded by a stinging sensation, swelling and bruising, except for the eyes. These are somewhat painful to the touch but the blood that leaked out disappears within 1 to 2 days. I also have small red dots all over my upper arms and chest that look like injection sites. Some hematomas are small as in leaking capillaries and some are large looking like veins. I have very thin skin and it tears easily and most of the time I do not feel the injury at all. This is baffling and I will mention it to my primary care physician. I have seen a retina specialist about the eye hemorrhages and they seem to resolve themselves with no treatment (so far).

Comment from: LORAINE, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

On New Year's Eve I sat off my chair and landed on my paper shredder, the corner of it of course. On my left side at my rib cage is where the hematoma is. It hurts so badly. I also developed a cough, and had to sneeze twice when I had to cough. The doctor prescribed Acetamin and cough medicine with codeine to stop the cough and pain. It hurts, yes!

Comment from: Nascarleone, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I fell down concrete steps, with my left shin taking the brunt of the impact. I was impressed after I stopped crying that I didn't seem to break anything and was able to hobble home. Long story short, it ended up with a large hematoma that got infected and burst. Problem was the doctor never said anything about a hematoma and was only concerned with the topical infection that appeared. After my leg continued to get worse, my scrape turned into a large wound that wouldn't heal. Nobody realized that the hematoma got infected and I ended up in the hospital for 5 days. And after surgical debridement I ended up with a 20 cm wound. I've been on a wound Vac for last three weeks with amazing results. Please have yourself checked out if you ever get hit, or hit something hard enough to give yourself a bruise. Much easier to have a doctor look at you like an idiot and send you home with an ice pack instead of missing a huge section of your leg!

Comment from: Mama, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I was bitten by a pit bull on the front of my thigh. It was not stitched so it would allow the blood to flush the germs out. I bled for three days. The bruising went from my knee to the upper area of my thigh. The lump that formed under the skin was approximately 4x4 inches. Once the punctures were healed, I used a body massager, hand massage, and the water jets in the hot tub to stimulate and break up the clot. It took just over a year for it to feel normal again.

Comment from: Billy, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 01

After a fall from a ladder, both of my upper arms had hematomas on the inside. Left arm was worse with a 2 inch wide by apparently one inch or more deep hematoma that was very painful, with intermittent sharp bee-sting like shooting pains, heat and radiating discoloration up and down the arm. Being on anticoagulants, my doctor prescribed hydrocodone for pain. Hot Epsom salt baths for 1 hour soaks reduce swelling and discoloration around the hematoma, at least temporarily. Restful inactivity also proved beneficial. It had been one week since the fall, and there has been some improvement, but I go back to the doctor tomorrow to see if more aggressive treatment is required.

Comment from: AnnieB, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I had a bone graft taken from my left hip used to pack around a broken clavicle late January2014. A grapefruit sized hematoma developed. I have had it drained 3 times but it just keeps re-emerging within hours and is very painful. I may have a drain placed to go home with and see if that helps.

Comment from: Donna, 19-24 (Caregiver) Published: February 06

I am a nurse and I haven't experienced any hematoma but I have met and see many patients who have hematoma. Last week, there was one emergency case that we did at the operation theater for the problem of hematoma. She had perineal repair after lacerations from giving birth. What I saw was a very big abscess with bruises and lots of bleeding. The woman was in pain. So what the doctor did was, he removed all the stitches and removed all the blood clots and re stitched again. After one hour the hematoma is getting small and the bleeding is controlled.

Hematoma - Treatments Question: What type of hematoma did you experience and what was the treatment?
Hematoma - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your hematoma?
Hematoma - Diagnosis Question: How was your hematoma diagnosed?