Patient Comments: Hematoma - Experience

Please describe your experience with hematoma.

Comment from: patimb7, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: February 03

My mother was bumped as the nurse was removing the wheelchair while helping my mother onto a treatment table in her pain management doctor's office. She was fine while she was horizontal. When they put her back into the wheelchair, her shin literally blew up. The doctor decided to aspirate it by injecting her with a syringe and drawing out the fluid. All that happened was that she began bleeding profusely (the hospital was next door). My mother suffered for seven months until she passed away. The general consensus was that she contracted osteomyelitis, most likely from trying to be aspirated for the hematoma.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I had 3 hip surgeries on the same hip within 2 months. Within a week following the second surgery, blood was profusely emitting from the incision site. The third surgery discovered that there had been a hematoma that had ruptured. Femoral head was removed to replace cup liner, checked for infection then flushed with copious amounts of saline. I had seen an acupuncturist the day the incision started bleeding. I wonder if that could that have caused the hematoma to rupture.

Comment from: cjl, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 18

I was bitten by a dog a week ago (9/9/13) in the right rear thigh and also in the left rear buttock. I have seven puncture wounds to the thigh and four to the left buttock. I was seen in the emergency room at my local hospital and was told I have a very large hematoma on the right rear thigh. It is very painful, and I have a large lump in the center of my thigh. I have bruising from the top of my rear thigh down to my knee and also on my inner right leg. I also have bruising on the left buttock, including the anal area and the genital area on the left side. This has been a very painful experience. I was told by the emergency room physicians and my primary-care physician that it will be four weeks before the bruising is gone. In the meantime, the hematoma is very painful and quite large in size. It is very difficult to sit as I need a pillow to alleviate the pain of sitting down. This was an unprovoked attack by a dog that is primarily used for hunting game, and according to info on the web, it is inappropriate to have as a pet. Hopefully, I will heal and feel better soon.

Comment from: PamelaDeDah, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

At the age of four I put my arm in the old wringer washer. The area near my elbow has a huge scar. My mother said it happened after the bruise burst and bled. It"s an interesting scar, it"s raised and looks like a topical photo of a mountain range. The surrounding skin of this mountain range looks stretched and feathered on the edges. Ice was used during the healing.

Comment from: Smitty, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: February 07

While swimming, my head struck the side of the pool. A month later, I started to act funny, finally was rushed to the emergency room and was diagnosed with a hematoma; a blood vessel ruptured and the blood was putting pressure against the brain. They drilled two holes in the right side of my head to relieve the blood pressure, everything has turned out okay.

Comment from: kathy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

I fell down a flight of stairs last night. I injured my elbows and shoulder but the biggest injury is my right thigh with a hematoma the size of a watermelon. I go to my neurologist tomorrow so I figure I will just let her look at it. It does hurt!

Comment from: Hemtoma, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

I had a jaw surgery and have a hematoma on both the sides under my chin, one side being worse as they did a sagittal split osteotomy on me and a condylectomy on the right. I was told to massage it.

Comment from: cennydd, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: September 18

I showered and noticed a large subcutaneous hematoma on my left arm after using a shower pad. I know for certain that I didn't bump it the night before. I've also noticed small hematomas on my wrists after putting my hands in my pockets to retrieve my cars keys. I use a wheelchair and reach into those pockets for my keys. My doctor prescribed baby aspirin along with my medication for hypertension several years ago, and I have never had this happen until recently.

Hematoma - Treatments Question: What type of hematoma did you experience and what was the treatment?
Hematoma - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your hematoma?
Hematoma - Diagnosis Question: How was your hematoma diagnosed?