Patient Comments: Hematocrit - Cause

Question:What was the cause of your low hematocrit reading?

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I had an unexplained gastro intestinal bleed resulting in an H and H of 6 and 17! I was transfused with 2 units of blood to bring the hematocrit up to 10. I was discharged with no reason after EGD negative and subsequent colonoscopy negative. I am searching for answers now because I am so frightened that I may have another bleed!

Comment from: infolap, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 25

If you have bruising or small red spots, you should do a blood test particularly for platelet count as it could be a sign that you might have a rare condition called ITP (ideopatic thrombocytopeni purpura), an unknown autoimmune disease. This disease, as much as it is known, is typically triggered by an infection. A regular blood test would have the platelet count and Hct/Hb, also important, and much more. A normal platelet number is 150K-400K. If the platelet number is low (particularly less than 30K) but nothing else is abnormal, or maybe justly slightly low Hct/Hb then it is ITP. If you platelet count is really low, less than 30K, it is serious as you could have internal bleedings. This needs to be treated right a way in the hospital. In the hospital you will be screened for different other immune disease for a confirmation if it is ITP or some other type of immune disease such as Lupus, Leukemia, etc. the good part is that ITP is not a life threatening disease such as Leukemia or Lupus.

Comment from: wenwen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I had been donating blood for several years until I had gallbladder problems. I started taking Nexium before my surgery. After the surgery I attempted to donate three times and my count was low each time. I read the Nexium handout and it mentioned that people taking iron should consult their physician. I discovered that iron is not absorbed when there is not enough acid in ones stomach. I was able to stop the Nexium and donated a few weeks later. There is not enough publicity for people taking proton pump inhibitors to watch their blood count.

Comment from: Mom*in*Spokane, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 16

My otherwise healthy 16 year old son has a consistently low hematocrit reading (around 33%) and hemoglobin (around 10-11). We found out that he is a carrier of beta thalassemia. He inherited 1 normal and 1 abnormal copy of the gene for hemoglobin. He will always be slightly anemic and there is no treatment for it. Someday the potential mother of his children should be screened to make sure they are not both carriers.

Comment from: grandmom, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 05

My grandson who is 9 has low platelet levels of 7 and a hematocrit level of 34.5. The doctor told the parents that it was probably due to an infection that confused his body into not making enough of something it needs. I'm concerned because none of it makes much sense to me.

Comment from: Kimmycane71, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 16

I had my Hematocrit done in the office I work in, my results were 60%. I had the doctor look at it, he told me to redue it in three days, he had never seen it, and it was double the %. I have been sick since January and I have abnormal bruising on the back of my legs. I was on medication that almost shut my liver down and I am just starting to feel better. The jaundice yellow is finally out of my face, and the black eyes are gone and I freeze easily. I really want to know symptoms, if anyone knows please let me know.

Published: November 21

Being anemic is due to the chemo I had once a month for 6 months. Now I am on 'maintenance' and have blood work done each week. After a treatment, I get 'banded'. I'm told to watch out for cramps in the abdomen area and this is a sign I will need a transfusion.

Comment from: dancesintherain, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

I am a 51 year old female who still has my monthly cycle and most times it is heavy, my iron has been low for a year now and continues to remain low and even lower sometimes. This has in turn brought down my hematocrit and hemoglobin. My physician is suggesting ablation or hysterectomy.