Patient Comments: Helicobacter Pylori - Treatments

What was the treatment for your Helicobacter Pylori?

Comment from: Pegontheroad, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 20

This is driving me crazy, I have been diagnosed and treated for Helicobacter pylori for 4 times in the last 10 months. The first three times I took the Prevpac treatment for 14 days. The fourth time, a physician's assistant (PA) in my primary care doctor's office prescribed 2 ciprofloxacin for 10 days. That didn't seem to work, and since I had an appointment with my gastroenterologist's PA, I talked to her about it. She gave me a 10 day supply of Pylera, which I finished 3 days ago. I don't think it did the job, as my stomach feels bloated again, which is always the signal for me that I still have H. pylori. I'm going to wait for another week to see my primary care doctor and ask for a referral to a different gastroenterologist.

Comment from: Natural health, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I have Helicobacter pylori. I was very sick off and on for years. Because I am very healthy and haven"t used antibiotics in years I am taking them. But I am a natural health practitioner and will be also using probiotics, mastic gum and allied natural health tablets made from concentrated allicin found in garlic. DGL (natural licorice) and enzymes.

Comment from: Jodi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I started having colonoscopies about 7 years ago, due to a family history of bowel cancer. I've never graduated past the 2 year event! Then it was decided I should have routine endoscopies as well. In August of 2013 I was diagnosed with the rarest form of helicobacter pylori. No one knew what to do with me, so they treated me for helicobacter pylori. So I started with the HP-Pac. I went back for another endoscopy. Before my results, I started bleeding when trying to have a bowel movement and ended up in emergency. Two days later I had an emergency surgery. One, I have a prolapsed bowel, and now diagnosed positive with helicobacter pylori. So now I'm taking tetracycline, metronidazole, Teva-Rabeprazole and Pepto-Bismol! I never had any symptoms sure do now! I'm so much more bloated since I've started my second treatment. My back hurts, I'm so very tired, and just plumb feeling so not attractive! I have an appointment in June for the breath test. Wow, it was great to read all of your stories. I'm not alone! Take care all!

Comment from: socatlady, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

I had terrible pain in August 2008 and they did not know what was causing the pain in my stomach. Then from September to October I lost 25 pounds without trying to do so. Finally, went to see a gastroenterologist and had an endoscopy, biopsies showed helicobacter pylori infection. Two weeks treatment of two strong antibiotics plus the Prilosec, they call it dose pack, cured it then. I stopped losing weight and stopped having pain. There is help out there, go to a gastroenterologist, they know about this particular bacteria and how to treat it. I recently was diagnosed again in November, same treatment, but now they have a breath test to make sure that it has been cleared up. If you don't get it treated you may suffer in pain, and eventually it could lead to the development of ulcers in your stomach. This bacteria causes ulcers, which was discovered by some doctor in Australia in the 1990's I think, not stress.

Comment from: mimisayhi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I got sick in late November 2013 and started losing weight (30 lbs so far without trying). I went to my family doctor who sent me home with "stomach virus, you'll be better in a few days." I was so sick over Christmas with the stomach problems and New Year's too. I went to an Urgency Center where they did blood test and said it was positive for helicobacter pylori. They put me on a regimen of antibiotics, started with amoxicillin and rabeprazole DR 20 mg for 5 days then started clarithromycin for 5 days with this other awful drug called tinidazole, which sent me to the emergency room. The symptoms and side effects I'm having are shakiness, stomach pain and nausea, weakness, terrible gas and belching, depression and anxiety to the maximum. Every trip to the emergency room and doctors they have taken numerous blood tests, done an EKG, CT scan, endoscopy all normal except the one blood test for H pylori which was positive. I don't think the medical profession understands this condition at all; they need to hospitalize patients going through the treatments of numerous drugs that get you so sick on top of being sick already. I'm so frustrated, angry, depressed and anxious, and beginning to feel like I'm losing my mind.

Helicobacter Pylori - Diagnosis Question: How was the diagnosis of your helicobacter pylori established?
Helicobacter Pylori - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms of H. pylori?
Helicobacter Pylori - Experience Question: Please share your experience with H. pylori infection.