Patient Comments: Helicobacter Pylori - Treatments

What was the treatment for your Helicobacter Pylori?

Comment from: Theresa, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 26

My sister who is 67 years old was diagnosed with Helicobacter pylori. Getting a diagnosis has not been easy. She suffered from symptoms for years and six months ago she decided to change her attending physicians. Her symptoms first were very deceiving. Symptoms which were taken for normal heartburn, upset stomach, and diarrhea. As time passed the symptoms became worse. She lost the ability to eat normally. I even suspected she might have had an eating disorder. I am relieved to finally have a diagnosis and hope she is on a road of recovery. She was prescribed 2 antibiotics along with omeprazole. A word of advice. If you suffer of above symptoms, please do yourself a favor and get tested for the pylori bacteria.

Comment from: mimisayhi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I got sick in late November 2013 and started losing weight (30 lbs so far without trying). I went to my family doctor who sent me home with "stomach virus, you'll be better in a few days." I was so sick over Christmas with the stomach problems and New Year's too. I went to an Urgency Center where they did blood test and said it was positive for helicobacter pylori. They put me on a regimen of antibiotics, started with amoxicillin and rabeprazole DR 20 mg for 5 days then started clarithromycin for 5 days with this other awful drug called tinidazole, which sent me to the emergency room. The symptoms and side effects I'm having are shakiness, stomach pain and nausea, weakness, terrible gas and belching, depression and anxiety to the maximum. Every trip to the emergency room and doctors they have taken numerous blood tests, done an EKG, CT scan, endoscopy all normal except the one blood test for H pylori which was positive. I don't think the medical profession understands this condition at all; they need to hospitalize patients going through the treatments of numerous drugs that get you so sick on top of being sick already. I'm so frustrated, angry, depressed and anxious, and beginning to feel like I'm losing my mind.

Comment from: SurprisedAtHPylori, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

I was having numerous symptoms that started back in 1998. I was diagnosed with depression, hypertension, Bell's palsy, allergies, IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) and anything that related to the individual symptom. I even had an embarrassing odor not from the vagina but the anus. I was treated for vaginitis. I had my gallbladder removed because it died. I had my ovaries removed because they were full of cysts. I was always bloated. My back hurt. My eyes itched. My face was splotchy. My primary physician decided to order an endoscopy as a part of my annual exam. Helicobacter pylori was found. I began a simple course of amoxcillin and omeprazole while she consulted the gastroenterologist. Now I am on metronidazole, doxycycline, omeprazole and bismuth for 14 days. Within 24 hours of beginning my treatment my symptoms began to reduce. My back does not hurt, my eyes have stopped itching, my face is clearing up and my bloating is subsiding, the curious odor has disappeared and life is wonderful. I look forward to hearing that the bad germs are gone from my body.

Comment from: Bonnie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I had H. pylori in 2005 probably for 10 years undiagnosed. Got a positive in 2005 and immediately went on mastic gum. I got an all clear blood test after 3 months on the mastic. I took it with probiotics and enzymes. I have continued to improve my health through these years but have had to put certain foods aside that I can no longer tolerate. The detox with mastic was hard the first week due to the die off from the parasite. But taking a 20 minute bath got me back to sleep in the middle of the night, took the pain away and really helped me through it. I used raw thyme powder to help. A quarter teaspoon with meals instantly relieved pain from the infected ulcer in my gut. Keeping my body alkaline has helped. I watched my father die of this disease and my older brother harbors it. Antibiotics is a dangerous game of hide and seek.

Comment from: Blank, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I had severe pain in my stomach that started in 2008 at the end of August. I saw a doctor, who performed a CT scan, which was normal. Then my OB/GYN said everything was normal. Then I finally realized I had to see a gastroenterologist. I had an endoscopy, which revealed inflammation of my stomach lining. Biopsies came back positive for H. pylori. This was the end of October. There is nothing more frustrating than having a pain in your stomach and not knowing what was causing it! Oh, and also, I lost 25 pounds in a month without dieting. I felt worse at night; the pain would really hit me hard at night. I felt nausea in the morning so I didn't eat till lunch. I never actually had nausea, just felt like it. Two weeks of Prevpac, two strong antibiotics, and something like Prilosec cured me. Then I had a major yeast infection -- first one I ever had -- but I had to get rid of the H. pylori. The yeast after the antibiotics was a side effect I had to tolerate and treat as well. My gastroenterologist says I will always have it in my blood work; it will show positive even though I don't have the infection anymore. If I suspect an infection at any future date, I should get a stool sample. The loss of 25 pounds was nice, but it was a very painful way to get there. I also had a low-grade fever of 99 degrees give or take and felt very week at times. Sometimes food helped, sometimes it didn't. The symptoms were hard to describe other than pain. The doctor said if it would have gone untreated I would have developed an ulcer. H. pylori is the bacterium that causes ulcers.

Helicobacter Pylori - Diagnosis Question: How was the diagnosis of your helicobacter pylori established?
Helicobacter Pylori - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms of H. pylori?
Helicobacter Pylori - Experience Question: Please share your experience with H. pylori infection.