Patient Comments: Helicobacter Pylori - Diagnosis

How was the diagnosis of your helicobacter pylori established?

Comment from: newbeginnings2017, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 09

I was diagnosed with Helicobacter pylori after having endoscopy for weight loss surgery, I never had any symptoms. I went into different forums and must admit I was nervous about this 10 day medication. I took the medication in 5/2017. My first day I felt a little funny, the only side effects that I had were slight headaches, and that nasty taste of metal in my mouth. A lot of the reviews said not to eat yogurt, I ate lots of yogurt for the probiotics, and I also purchased for myself some probiotics in pill form and took 2 times a day. I was also very conscious about always washing my hands. I just took the breath test last week and I am negative. One other important thing I did was, after the treatment I threw away my toothbrush and got a new one. Just think if we are eradicating all the bad bacteria we need to replace it with good bacteria. Good luck everyone, I hear lots of horror stories and a few people have had to treat at least 3 times.

Comment from: nomorehp, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 07

I was having problems with nausea, vomiting, and stomach pain for months. I was losing a great deal of weight. I went to the doctor, and because of a family history of colon cancer, he ordered a colonoscopy. Right before that procedure, I ended up in the emergency room. I felt I should cancel the colonoscopy, so I called the office. The office suggested I see the physician's assistant to get advice on how to best prepare for my colonoscopy since I was so sick. During that visit, she decided I also needed an endoscopy. I'm so glad she ordered that test! What turned out to be wrong was 2 peptic ulcers caused by Helicobacter pylori. I just had a follow-up endoscopy. The ulcers are gone, but the H. pylori is still there. I hope a new round of antibiotics will get rid of this. It's been making me really sick for a long time. I would love to be well again.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 01

I was just diagnosed with Helicobacter pylori bacteria. I had been going to different doctors for two and a half years when 4 weeks ago on Sunday I got really sick. I've had bad indigestion for two years and gained some weight but I started having back pain on right side under my rib. First the doctor sent me for ultrasound for gallbladder and then I found myself one Saturday in hospital. All day it hurt in the right side under rib so bad I barely could stand it. They sent me home and wanted to give me pain killers. I refused them as them as it is just masking the root of the problem. I thought my total symptoms were first indigestion. It was so bad even at night being awakened from it, then back pain under the rib; if you move wrong it was so bad. Then my energy level would just drop so sudden like I had worked nonstop for a week. Horrible feelings came in my stomach just this last two weeks. I am waiting to hear from my gastroenterologist to get back results from endoscopy and colonoscopy. I was called yesterday and told this is Helicobacter pylori. The medicines I'll be taking for H. pylori are amoxicillin Flagyl, and omeprazole.

Comment from: RG, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 18

The diagnosis of my helicobacter pylori was established when I had endoscopy to address reflux symptoms.

Comment from: Bri M., 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 07

In 2011 I had a severe stomach flu that I felt like I could never shake. I consulted my doctor who told me to take antacids before meals to help with the stomach pains. My symptoms were everything from extremely suppressed appetite to vomiting if I ate simple things like ice cream. I went back to the doctor about 7 months later and 50 pounds lighter, I am not exaggerating with the weight loss. They finally took a blood test and found that I tested positive for Helicobacter pylori. My doctor told me that it cannot be contracted through food but after I had that stomach flu I was just never the same. I went through the 10 days of antibiotics, which made my mouth taste like metal. My mom would also say that in the morning my room smelled like metal during that period. The last 2 days of the medicine was the hardest, I was very nauseous. Once I was done with the antibiotics I took the breath test which came back that I had fought it off even though I hear it will always be in my system. Four years later I am better but still not the same.

Helicobacter Pylori - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your Helicobacter Pylori?
Helicobacter Pylori - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms of H. pylori?
Helicobacter Pylori - Experience Question: What�s your biggest challenge with living with H. pylori infection?
H. pylori - Life Change Question: What changes have you had to make to your routine since being diagnosed with H. pylori?