Patient Comments: Helicobacter Pylori - Diagnosis

How was the diagnosis of your helicobacter pylori established?

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 01

I was just diagnosed with Helicobacter pylori bacteria. I had been going to different doctors for two and a half years when 4 weeks ago on Sunday I got really sick. I've had bad indigestion for two years and gained some weight but I started having back pain on right side under my rib. First the doctor sent me for ultrasound for gallbladder and then I found myself one Saturday in hospital. All day it hurt in the right side under rib so bad I barely could stand it. They sent me home and wanted to give me pain killers. I refused them as them as it is just masking the root of the problem. I thought my total symptoms were first indigestion. It was so bad even at night being awakened from it, then back pain under the rib; if you move wrong it was so bad. Then my energy level would just drop so sudden like I had worked nonstop for a week. Horrible feelings came in my stomach just this last two weeks. I am waiting to hear from my gastroenterologist to get back results from endoscopy and colonoscopy. I was called yesterday and told this is Helicobacter pylori. The medicines I'll be taking for H. pylori are amoxicillin Flagyl, and omeprazole.

Comment from: RG, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 18

The diagnosis of my helicobacter pylori was established when I had endoscopy to address reflux symptoms.

Comment from: Bri M., 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 07

In 2011 I had a severe stomach flu that I felt like I could never shake. I consulted my doctor who told me to take antacids before meals to help with the stomach pains. My symptoms were everything from extremely suppressed appetite to vomiting if I ate simple things like ice cream. I went back to the doctor about 7 months later and 50 pounds lighter, I am not exaggerating with the weight loss. They finally took a blood test and found that I tested positive for Helicobacter pylori. My doctor told me that it cannot be contracted through food but after I had that stomach flu I was just never the same. I went through the 10 days of antibiotics, which made my mouth taste like metal. My mom would also say that in the morning my room smelled like metal during that period. The last 2 days of the medicine was the hardest, I was very nauseous. Once I was done with the antibiotics I took the breath test which came back that I had fought it off even though I hear it will always be in my system. Four years later I am better but still not the same.

Comment from: FAWAD, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 04

I did my blood CP test recently, and found out that I was positive for Helicobacter pylori. My doctor said H. pylori is positive because there's some problem in my stomach and there was bloating and swelling, which can be healed if medication is taken regularly. For the past 11 months my whole body keeps swelling and bloating and if I rub that part of my skin where it bloats/swells, it starts to increase more and more and after 1 or 2 days that part is healed and some other part of skin starts to swell and that's happening to me for the last 11 months. I went to a lot of doctors and some doctors said to avoid eating fish, chicken, meat, and egg, and avoid dust and wear mask on my face.

Comment from: Beverly, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 25

I was diagnosed last week with helicobacter pylori; I've been having issues since March 2014. I had a colonoscopy which was good. I had an ultra sound of my stomach and a HIDA scan of gall bladder in which the number was 21. I'm not sure what the number meant but they want it between 40 and 60. I had gall bladder taken out in May 2014 and was still having bloating, so I had an EGD done. I have a hiatal hernia and they took a biopsy to find the cause of inflammation and I was diagnosed with H. pylori. So I'm taking metronidazole 500 mg, clarithromycin 500 mg and Protonix 40 mg, and am scheduled for another EGD in August 1st. I get this pain under the left breast like gas that lasts for about 4 seconds and goes away; not sure what that is from, but we will see if it's gone by August.

Comment from: MD, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

I was diagnosed with Helicobacter pylori in March this year after an acute infection. I took the antibiotics and did another breath test a couple of months later which said the H. pylori was gone. Six months later I am still burping after everything I eat and drink, but the burning pain I was experiencing has gone. My doctor said that I should be better by now. I am booked in for an endoscopy in a few weeks. Feeling frustrated!

Helicobacter Pylori - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your Helicobacter Pylori?
Helicobacter Pylori - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms of H. pylori?
Helicobacter Pylori - Experience Question: Please share your experience with H. pylori infection.