Patient Comments: Helicobacter Pylori - Diagnosis

How was the diagnosis of your helicobacter pylori established?

Comment from: GenieB, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I have two siblings that were diagnosed with stomach cancer in their 50s. One sibling died in August 2013. I had been having a few issues with bloating, stomach pain and real bad indigestion that was getting progressively worse over the last year. I talked to my primary physician assistant in my physician's office about my two siblings and she suggested to me as did my gynecologist, to be tested. My physician assistant referred me to a gastroenterologist who performed an endoscopy. The results were that I had an inflamed stomach lining and helicobacter pylori. I was on the triple therapy (amoxicillin, Flagyl and omeprazole) for 2 weeks. The H. pylori was eradicated after a subsequent urea breath test was administered.

Comment from: Charlene, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: December 06

I was rushed to hospital with extremely low blood count and little iron in my system. I was given 2 units of blood and one of iron. I had colonoscopy of upper gastro intestinal tract with camera capsule. They all showed some places that were probably slow bleeders. Then they found the Helicobacter pylori bacteria. I had gotten so week so slowly that it seemed to have crept up on me. I took the round of antibiotics.

Comment from: sbernardo, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I went through several weeks of horrible, deep chest pains and not being able to keep any food down. I did several blood tests, and upper GI (gastro-intestinal) x-ray scan, and an ultrasound. I tested positive for Helicobacter pylori. I am now on treatment. I have Prilosec, 2000mg daily of amoxcillin, and 500mg daily of clarithromycin. I am having awful side effects from the clarithromycin ranging from severe headaches, to nightmares, to diarrhea. I hope against hope that this will all be worth it and that the bacteria will be gone when I test for it after my treatment is over. This is very hard to live with on a day to day basis and has been affecting my daily life greatly.

Comment from: bdgiroir, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 16

My mom has been suffering for months. She was burping a lot, having burning in lower chest so much she felt like her body was on fire. We took her to the hospital twice, second time she was admitted. While in the hospital she was found with slug and stones in her gall bladder. The day before surgery she was told she also had helicobacter pylori. After being released from the hospital she was given 3 antibiotics and Protonix for 10 days. After a month later she still has the same symptoms and was given the breath test. She still has the bacteria and will start on 2 more antibiotics and Protonix for 14 days. This has been the worst 5 month of our lives. I hope this second round clears this bacteria up and all who are battling this will also be healed. I had this, my husband had this and I'm going to be retested to make sure it's not back.

Comment from: 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 03

My blood test indicated borderline anemia. My doctor ordered an upper gastrointestinal scan and helicobacter pylori was detected.

Comment from: Jones, 35-44 (Patient) Published: March 19

My son was diagnosed with helicobacter pylori, so his doctor suggested our entire family be tested. I also tested positive for H. pylori and also am taking the 3 antibiotics.

Comment from: Jellybean, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I have just been diagnosed today and the last year and a half whenever I drink alcohol the next day I am violently ill. I am vomiting uncontrollably with hot flushes and headaches.

Helicobacter Pylori - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your Helicobacter Pylori?