Patient Comments: Helicobacter Pylori - Diagnosis

How was the diagnosis of your helicobacter pylori established?

Comment from: sick_graduate, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

My way of finding out I had H. Pylori is kind of strange. First of all, my boyfriend had stomach problems while we were in college, and I took him to the ER twice, but no tests were ever done on him. He just dealt with the excessive bloating and discomfort. About a year later, I had feelings of discomfort in my stomachs that were unusual, but I too ignored them. Then, I started having really bad back problems, which I have been fighting for a few years; I was going from doctor to doctor to fix my back. I decided to go to a new chiropractor this summer, and while he was popping my back, he noticed a tight spot on the middle left side of my back. He said something was going on with my digestive system, so he gave me a stool test to check for all kinds of parasites. Well, my test came back positive for H. Pylori (it's abundant too, so I have it really bad). I start the treatment in 2 days; if eradicating this infection gets rid of my stomach and back problems I will be the most excited person in the world. My boyfriend gets tested this weekend, and I'm pretty sure he has it too, so hopefully we will both be cured soon. Here's some advice though for any college student: beware of moldy kegs and tainted water (this is for the city of Macomb, Il where they had boil orders every week (not even exaggerating).

Comment from: hus, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 17

The first time I had a severe stomach pain was three years ago on holidays. It started with uncomfortable stomach, gradually increasing overnight to squeezing, gnawing and unbearable pain in the stomach as if I had solid rocks in there. It followed with severe and frequent vomiting. I was unable to take any thing as it would come out. I could not sleep the whole night and the next day a local doctor gave me some pain killers which relieved me at that time. Then there was a quiet period of little over a year when this whole situation repeated itself in the same fashion when we were away on holidays again. Third time it came back within six months and as usual lasted only for one night. Then it came back one night, six months ago, with more severity and pain. Had to go to emergency, but no one would know what was it. I was prescribed for gastroscopy which came out with positive results of Helicobacter Pylori. Eradication therapy started and the result was still positive. Given another eradication treatment and had my urea breath test. In the meantime that dreadful pain came back again not with that severity, but it is quite evident, H. Pylori is still there. Do not know as I failed eradication treatment twice, what will be my fate?

Comment from: Nede, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 02

I was hospitalized two consecutive Sundays. I've gone through some lab tests, but all the results are negative. Everyone says that is only hypertension, even my doctors. I decided to go to the hospital again to undergo an ultrasound, but the doctor said it is better to get a blood sample for H-Pylori. After an hour, I got the result and it was positive. So the doctor gave me three kinds of antibiotics: amoxicillin, clarithromycin and omeprazole. I'm still taking my medicine. I hope and pray that after a month my H-Pylori will be negative.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 04

One day I woke up earlier than normal with a gnawing pain in my stomach. I started to vomit that morning and then didn't stop until that night. The next day I was fine I ate and then I went to bed and when I woke up in the morning that gnawing pain was back. I was vomiting the whole day I couldn't hold down water or food, so I went to the emergency room and after many tests they admitted me into the hospital, but still did not know what was wrong. I was on I.V.s for seven days I vomited non stop almost through out those seven days and then got sent to a specialist and they finally found out that it was h-pylori. But my father also has it and he found out because he was having horrible chest pain's he said that it felt like a heart attack our doctor's told us it was hereditary but I have also been told that it's not. A cousin of mine has it too however. If you are having the chest pains there is a medicine that may help you it's called a G.I. cocktail, or gastrointestinal cocktail it's liquid and my father says it helps dramatically with the chest pains.

Published: July 30

I suffer for 3 long months with stomach pain. Went to my doctor several times, but my symptoms kept getting worse until finally I asked him to have an endoscopy done on me. I lost tons of weights because I couldn't keep any food in my stomach. With the biopsy they found out that I had the bacteria. I was on antibiotics for 14 days taking about 3 thousand milligrams a day. It was terrible. I guess my infection was way too big. I still suffer some stomach pain, but I'm not sure if it is related to the bacteria. I think the bacteria still there

Published: July 30

I just took a blood test for this. I never heard of it until yesterday. I was originally on medicine for indigestion. Last week this indigestion got bad to the point nothing helped anymore. So my doctor did a blood test yesterday. I've been excessively burping, feeling like I have indigestion, severe headaches, sometimes some pain or discomfort in my chest, and pain in my stomach usually after eating. After I eat I burp a few times then vomit a tiny bit. I don't know if I have it yet, but I just read that it's contagious. So my husband and kids probably have it as well. Does anyone know if it is contagious or how it's passed?

Helicobacter Pylori - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your Helicobacter Pylori?