Patient Comments: Helicobacter Pylori - Diagnosis

How was the diagnosis of your helicobacter pylori established?

Comment from: luciano, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I was at the doctors to today to get results of a biopsy. Well, I have Helicobacter pylori. I was misdiagnosed for almost 5 years now. I am wondering if anyone was told to stay away from anything containing gluten. My doctor says I should stay away from all gluten, fast food, and restaurants. I have never eaten gluten free though it is better for you. Most days I get about 3 hours sleep and can barely get up because of the burning and pain. Doctor gave me pain medicines but I hate taking them because of side effects. I hope we all get better soon.

Comment from: GenieB, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I have two siblings that were diagnosed with stomach cancer in their 50s. One sibling died in August 2013. I had been having a few issues with bloating, stomach pain and real bad indigestion that was getting progressively worse over the last year. I talked to my primary physician assistant in my physician's office about my two siblings and she suggested to me as did my gynecologist, to be tested. My physician assistant referred me to a gastroenterologist who performed an endoscopy. The results were that I had an inflamed stomach lining and helicobacter pylori. I was on the triple therapy (amoxicillin, Flagyl and omeprazole) for 2 weeks. The H. pylori was eradicated after a subsequent urea breath test was administered.

Comment from: Charlene, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: December 06

I was rushed to hospital with extremely low blood count and little iron in my system. I was given 2 units of blood and one of iron. I had colonoscopy of upper gastro intestinal tract with camera capsule. They all showed some places that were probably slow bleeders. Then they found the Helicobacter pylori bacteria. I had gotten so week so slowly that it seemed to have crept up on me. I took the round of antibiotics.

Comment from: sbernardo, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I went through several weeks of horrible, deep chest pains and not being able to keep any food down. I did several blood tests, and upper GI (gastro-intestinal) x-ray scan, and an ultrasound. I tested positive for Helicobacter pylori. I am now on treatment. I have Prilosec, 2000mg daily of amoxcillin, and 500mg daily of clarithromycin. I am having awful side effects from the clarithromycin ranging from severe headaches, to nightmares, to diarrhea. I hope against hope that this will all be worth it and that the bacteria will be gone when I test for it after my treatment is over. This is very hard to live with on a day to day basis and has been affecting my daily life greatly.

Comment from: bdgiroir, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 16

My mom has been suffering for months. She was burping a lot, having burning in lower chest so much she felt like her body was on fire. We took her to the hospital twice, second time she was admitted. While in the hospital she was found with slug and stones in her gall bladder. The day before surgery she was told she also had helicobacter pylori. After being released from the hospital she was given 3 antibiotics and Protonix for 10 days. After a month later she still has the same symptoms and was given the breath test. She still has the bacteria and will start on 2 more antibiotics and Protonix for 14 days. This has been the worst 5 month of our lives. I hope this second round clears this bacteria up and all who are battling this will also be healed. I had this, my husband had this and I'm going to be retested to make sure it's not back.

Comment from: 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 03

My blood test indicated borderline anemia. My doctor ordered an upper gastrointestinal scan and helicobacter pylori was detected.

Comment from: sick_graduate, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

My way of finding out I had H. Pylori is kind of strange. First of all, my boyfriend had stomach problems while we were in college, and I took him to the ER twice, but no tests were ever done on him. He just dealt with the excessive bloating and discomfort. About a year later, I had feelings of discomfort in my stomachs that were unusual, but I too ignored them. Then, I started having really bad back problems, which I have been fighting for a few years; I was going from doctor to doctor to fix my back. I decided to go to a new chiropractor this summer, and while he was popping my back, he noticed a tight spot on the middle left side of my back. He said something was going on with my digestive system, so he gave me a stool test to check for all kinds of parasites. Well, my test came back positive for H. Pylori (it's abundant too, so I have it really bad). I start the treatment in 2 days; if eradicating this infection gets rid of my stomach and back problems I will be the most excited person in the world. My boyfriend gets tested this weekend, and I'm pretty sure he has it too, so hopefully we will both be cured soon. Here's some advice though for any college student: beware of moldy kegs and tainted water (this is for the city of Macomb, Il where they had boil orders every week (not even exaggerating).

Helicobacter Pylori - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your Helicobacter Pylori?
Helicobacter Pylori - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms of H. pylori?
Helicobacter Pylori - Experience Question: Please share your experience with H. pylori infection.