Patient Comments: Plantar Fasciitis - Treatment

What treatment was effective for your plantar fasciitis?

Comment from: Sandy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 21

I am 69 now but in my early 40s I slid down carpeted steps and my heel took the brunt of it. That is when the pain hit. Even though I went to the emergency room at the time plantar fasciitis wasn't diagnosed. Weeks turned into months to several years with no relief, shots, wraps, ice therapy, being on crutches; whatever they wanted to try I was willing. Nothing helped and surgery was finally done. I had a 100 percent improvement. It is still tender, I have to wear good walking shoes when I know I am going to be on my feet for any length of time. To me the 8 weeks of being on crutches after surgery was time well spent as the constant pain is gone.

Comment from: Gayle S, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I finally had to have the spur surgically removed. Thank goodness. I can walk again. The injections, boots, oils, special inserts; nothing made the plantar fasciitis better. I had the surgery at 45 years of age and now I have aches occasionally from working on my feet but nothing like the spur pain. I am having the new spur on my other foot removed in September. To me, the only way is to have it removed or it will continue to grow and cut into the tissues. Good luck.

Comment from: Dale, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 09

I had a spur on heel of right foot in 2007; I was learning to walk again. The therapist did ultra sound and ice for ten minutes a day, for three days. Within three days, the plantar fasciitis pain was gone and I've never had another flare up since.

Comment from: 3katie3, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I've had Achilles tendonitis and then plantar fasciitis starting about 15 years ago. I tried all the usual home remedies and many kinds of inserts and shoes. I did find good inserts, but still had some pain, and my walking was limited to less than half hour, or I would suffer greatly that evening. My only good lasting results for dealing with plantar fasciitis and Achilles tendonitis, have been with the ancient practice of castor oil hot packs daily for several days. I use a clean thick white cotton sock, and soak only the heel area with castor oil, heat it a bit in microwave when I take it out of freezer storage, put it on, and wrap in 2 plastic bags, and another larger sock. Then wrap and secure a heat pad around the heel, with low heat for 45 minutes or more. I don't wash any oil off but rather, rub it in. Use castor oil hot pack for 3 days or more, then only as needed. It's been a life-changing tool for me. I have seen many videos on You Tube about castor oil packs, but I've never seen one for tendonitis, fasciitis pain.

Comment from: AMM, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

After 2 steroid injections with no effect I had a platelet rich plasma injection for plantar fasciitis. It took 6 to 8 weeks but now I am pain free.

Comment from: buster, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 29

This is a generic approach to plantar fasciitis. Calf muscle is the problem. Put high heat pad to it to relieve it for 30 minutes, stretch it for 20 minutes and repeat 3 times. Walk 1 mile, and take 1 Aleve. Repeat 2 days for cure. Start procedure on first onset.

Comment from: kmw, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 26

I have a bad case of insertional Achilles tendonitis with a bursa at the bone spur site. I've had physical therapy, cortisone injection, orthotics, systemic anti-inflammatories, ice, and even tried acupuncture for plantar fasciitis. Nothing seems to relieve the pain. Now I'm faced with surgery so I can get back to normal physical exercise.

Heel Spurs - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with heel spurs?
Heel Spurs - Causes Question: What was the cause of your heel spurs?