Patient Comments: Plantar Fasciitis - Treatment

Question:What treatment was effective for your plantar fasciitis?

Comment from: 3katie3, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I've had Achilles tendonitis and then plantar fasciitis starting about 15 years ago. I tried all the usual home remedies and many kinds of inserts and shoes. I did find good inserts, but still had some pain, and my walking was limited to less than half hour, or I would suffer greatly that evening. My only good lasting results for dealing with plantar fasciitis and Achilles tendonitis, have been with the ancient practice of castor oil hot packs daily for several days. I use a clean thick white cotton sock, and soak only the heel area with castor oil, heat it a bit in microwave when I take it out of freezer storage, put it on, and wrap in 2 plastic bags, and another larger sock. Then wrap and secure a heat pad around the heel, with low heat for 45 minutes or more. I don't wash any oil off but rather, rub it in. Use castor oil hot pack for 3 days or more, then only as needed. It's been a life-changing tool for me. I have seen many videos on You Tube about castor oil packs, but I've never seen one for tendonitis, fasciitis pain.

Comment from: AMM, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

After 2 steroid injections with no effect I had a platelet rich plasma injection for plantar fasciitis. It took 6 to 8 weeks but now I am pain free.

Comment from: WhatNext?, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 02

About 15 years ago I had heel spurs in both feet. I tried cortisone injections, massage, alternating hot and cold water applications and wearing an orthotic. Nothing helped. Then a friend with the same problem told me she could wear sandals as long as they were Birkenstocks. So I tried a pair and instantly got relief and I am pain free to this day. I now have a closet full of Birkenstocks.

Comment from: jdukedog, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

I have had two cortisone in the last 2 months, but the pain is still really bad.

Comment from: Tpguy, 55-64 Male Published: August 20

As a runner I sometimes get plantar fasciitis, but the symptoms are relieved with appropriate trigger point massage and stretching.

Comment from: Magnua, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

Nothing has relieved my plantar fascitis. Have had 3 cortisone injections in one year and shoe inserts. Ice and Advil is only temporary. Stretching is OK, but temporary also. Any other ideas?

Comment from: Footsore, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

My diagnosis of plantar fasciitis was confirmed with an x-ray and sonar scans. There are spurs on both heels. There is also pain in the tendon from my ankle to my tibia and my ankle ligament on the outside of my foot. Physio, a cortisone injection, immobilization, wearing a boot and a night splint all helped to treat the problem to the point where there is no pain. The pain returns within minutes of exercising (walking, cycling or swimming).

Comment from: Delraye, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 29

Eight years ago I had a heel spur in my left foot. I had s cortisone shot and it made it worse. A different doctor told me wear a cam walker 24/7 unless in the shower. It took 6 months, but it worked. I have it now in my right foot.