Patient Comments: Plantar Fasciitis - Treatment

Question:What treatment was effective for your plantar fasciitis?

Comment from: Gayle S, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I finally had to have the spur surgically removed. Thank goodness. I can walk again. The injections, boots, oils, special inserts; nothing made the plantar fasciitis better. I had the surgery at 45 years of age and now I have aches occasionally from working on my feet but nothing like the spur pain. I am having the new spur on my other foot removed in September. To me, the only way is to have it removed or it will continue to grow and cut into the tissues. Good luck.

Comment from: Dale, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 09

I had a spur on heel of right foot in 2007; I was learning to walk again. The therapist did ultra sound and ice for ten minutes a day, for three days. Within three days, the plantar fasciitis pain was gone and I've never had another flare up since.

Comment from: 3katie3, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I've had Achilles tendonitis and then plantar fasciitis starting about 15 years ago. I tried all the usual home remedies and many kinds of inserts and shoes. I did find good inserts, but still had some pain, and my walking was limited to less than half hour, or I would suffer greatly that evening. My only good lasting results for dealing with plantar fasciitis and Achilles tendonitis, have been with the ancient practice of castor oil hot packs daily for several days. I use a clean thick white cotton sock, and soak only the heel area with castor oil, heat it a bit in microwave when I take it out of freezer storage, put it on, and wrap in 2 plastic bags, and another larger sock. Then wrap and secure a heat pad around the heel, with low heat for 45 minutes or more. I don't wash any oil off but rather, rub it in. Use castor oil hot pack for 3 days or more, then only as needed. It's been a life-changing tool for me. I have seen many videos on You Tube about castor oil packs, but I've never seen one for tendonitis, fasciitis pain.

Comment from: AMM, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

After 2 steroid injections with no effect I had a platelet rich plasma injection for plantar fasciitis. It took 6 to 8 weeks but now I am pain free.

Comment from: WhatNext?, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 02

About 15 years ago I had heel spurs in both feet. I tried cortisone injections, massage, alternating hot and cold water applications and wearing an orthotic. Nothing helped. Then a friend with the same problem told me she could wear sandals as long as they were Birkenstocks. So I tried a pair and instantly got relief and I am pain free to this day. I now have a closet full of Birkenstocks.

Comment from: kmw, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 26

I have a bad case of insertional Achilles tendonitis with a bursa at the bone spur site. I've had physical therapy, cortisone injection, orthotics, systemic anti-inflammatories, ice, and even tried acupuncture for plantar fasciitis. Nothing seems to relieve the pain. Now I'm faced with surgery so I can get back to normal physical exercise.

Comment from: jdukedog, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

I have had two cortisone in the last 2 months, but the pain is still really bad.

Comment from: Tpguy, 55-64 Male Published: August 20

As a runner I sometimes get plantar fasciitis, but the symptoms are relieved with appropriate trigger point massage and stretching.

Comment from: Magnua, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

Nothing has relieved my plantar fascitis. Have had 3 cortisone injections in one year and shoe inserts. Ice and Advil is only temporary. Stretching is OK, but temporary also. Any other ideas?

Comment from: Footsore, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

My diagnosis of plantar fasciitis was confirmed with an x-ray and sonar scans. There are spurs on both heels. There is also pain in the tendon from my ankle to my tibia and my ankle ligament on the outside of my foot. Physio, a cortisone injection, immobilization, wearing a boot and a night splint all helped to treat the problem to the point where there is no pain. The pain returns within minutes of exercising (walking, cycling or swimming).

Comment from: Delraye, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 29

Eight years ago I had a heel spur in my left foot. I had s cortisone shot and it made it worse. A different doctor told me wear a cam walker 24/7 unless in the shower. It took 6 months, but it worked. I have it now in my right foot.