Patient Comments: Heat Stroke - Experience and Preventive

Describe your experience with heat stroke, and could it have been prevented?

Comment from: EmmaJulieStar, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I'm only a 15 year old, and I do marching band. Every summer my fellow band members and I march out in the heat, and we always have Popsicle breaks and water breaks, we even get into the water/sprinkler. But today, started this afternoon at 1:55 pm on 8/4/2011, I had my first heat stroke. I was so cold, but I was very hot on the outside and I did charts and marched, but it was very difficult and intense also, so I got really light headed, so I was like, that's nothing at all. Then I almost white out and so the staff told me to be in the garage with a fan. I didn't felt so well, so I thought maybe if I ate lunch I'll be better. But it only made it worse. I started to heat up more and I was very shaky and I started to cry when I get a stomach pain and such. At 5:45 pm, things got very much worse; I got a giant migraine, started to hyperventilate pretty fast and got very light headed that I couldn't see straight. I never learned to relax, but it was very scary, but the good thing is I never had to go to the hospital for it. If I did, I know my band fellows and staff would be very sad about it. Thank God I'm ok.

Comment from: Cathy S, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 03

I had a heat stroke 30 years ago at the age of 16. It was a very hot day at the park, after a while I started feeling weak and felt very dizzy. Next thing I knew I was waking up with alot of people around me. Luckly 2 ladies knew what to do. They carried me to a bathroom and put me on the cold floor and poured water on me. Still till this day I still get sick but I never get that sick because once the heat rises I stay inside. It puts a damper on things but I never want to feel that way again.

Comment from: vcob, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

After falling asleep in the sun for six hours in heat over 90 degrees, I awoke with a terrible headache and vomiting. I continued to have the headache and was sick to my stomach for three days. I went to my family doctor, and he said I had a heat stroke. He said to hydrate myself with Gatorade and eat plenty of salt to retain my water.

Comment from: Charlotte, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 05

On Sept 4th I attended an outside birthday party on an extremely hot day. I felt I was getting too hot but did not want to be a party pooper so I continued to remain outside with everyone else. After 3 or 4 hours, I could not take anymore and felt I was not even going to make it to my car but I did. After I turned on the A/c unit, I begin to feel water running down the left side of my face and when I wiped it, there was nothing there. To this day, I have this feeling all day every day. I do have a doctor appointment tomorrow to see what he says. I feel sure it was a heat stroke. I will never sit out in the sun for that long for any birthday party, even though it was my grandson's.

Comment from: Father in need, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 15

I have a broken tooth that got infected 2 days ago and now the left side of my face is swollen, my left eye is swollen shut. I need help, I already went to the emergency room and got antibiotics and pain killers and it is getting worse.

Comment from: SuzyQ666, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

Well over a year ago, (May '12) I was taken to the local emergency room by the paramedics who were called in by my manicurist and another woman in the hair salon. It was an inordinately hot day, I had had little or nothing to eat, yet had been drinking a sufficient amount of water. So I thought. Anyway, I was kept at the hospital (after spending all afternoon in the emergency room getting MRIs on what seemed to be my entire body) overnight and had an IV pumping fluids into me. A young neurologist who saw me in the emergency room said I'd suffered a TIA (transient ischemic attack), while my personal physician felt the more likely situation was that I'd had heat exhaustion and dehydration. (There was no evidence of a clot or leaking blood vessel.) I left the hospital after about a 24 hour stay and drove home. I don't know if I'll ever know for sure whether I'd had heat exhaustion, heat stroke, or a TIA. All I know is that I was wide awake the entire night, unable to sleep. When I was discharged, I was given a packet about stroke, had a visit from a social worker and more information than answers.

Heat Stroke - Risk Question: If you or a relative had a heat stroke, were either of you at risk? If you are at risk, in what ways will you try to prevent an occurrence?
Heat Stroke - Treatment Question: Describe the medical treatment you received when you suffered a heat stroke.
Heat Stroke - Symptoms Question: If you, a relative, or friend had a heat stroke, what were the symptoms?
Heat Stroke - Experience Question: Please share your experience with heat stroke.