Patient Comments: Heat Stroke - Experience and Preventive

Describe your experience with heat stroke, and could it have been prevented?

Comment from: InPainFromDTAP, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 06

I was given a DTaP over a week ago now. I had not stepped on a rusty nail or had any particular reason except it was offered and encouraged. I received the shot in my upper left arm. I had no side effects until yesterday (day 7). I thought I had slept on my arm wrong. But today the pain has gotten worse. It hurts to type or raise my arm.

Comment from: Mark H, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 20

I broke the end of the tibia and slightly up the fibula with my foot turned the wrong angle when I fell back on it from about 1 foot high. This was a task I've done thousands of time before with no problems.

Comment from: Manda, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 22

I experienced heat stroke this last summer while on a mission trip in Mexico where we built a house. On the specific day we got to the work site around 7AM and I spent the next 3 hours tacking black tar paper to the side of the house while the sun beat down, hitting the black paper and intensifying the heat. Around 10 we took a break to regroup and I noticed my eyes weren't focusing correctly and my mouth was super dry. I decided to sit down and take a 5 minute break. When the time came to get up and start working again I couldn't move and I could only barely mumble in response, and it took a lot of effort to get that mumble! I was carried to our van, water poured over me and the AC was turned on. Luckily we had medical staff on the trip with us so I was able to be taken care of. It took 4 hours, 1 full Nalgene bottle of saline water, one bottle of water and 4 bottles of Gatorade for me to get full movement back in me body. I felt sick, shaky and dizzy for days afterwards. When I returned home I consulted with my doctor and it was determined a medication I was taking, a beta blocker, contributed to the heat stroke. There were definitely signs of heat exhaustion first though and I wish I would have paid attention to them instead of pushing through.

Comment from: Feeling crappy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

Well, l was told l have acute bronchitis and like the rest of you all over the board with what to take and what to do. I am losing sleep and getting frustrated. I have antibiotics and inhaler Robitussin (but not working fast enough for me). This really takes the punch out of your daily routine. I hope we all feel better soon.

Comment from: Jeritxam, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I was diagnosed with MS about 6 months ago. My husband and I went for a motorcycle ride. I had a beer and a glass of water. I was feeling ok. We headed back on the beltway when my stomach began cramping, I was sweating, could not speak an then all of a sudden the sweating ceased, I blacked out and could not move. Luckily, he got me to an air-conditioned area. It's been days and I am still vomiting, diarrhea and a slight headache and I still do not feel right. I am in bed taking good care of myself now. The MS flares when I get over heated. I must listen to my body!

Comment from: Annie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I was on holiday and had spent the whole day at the beach - swimming in the sea and tanning in the sun. I made quite a few serious mistakes that eventually led to my severe heat stroke. First I had two glasses of beer at the beach, then later that night at home even though I was feeling a bit flushed and hot; I felt ok and had a glass of wine with my friend. Within an hour I was delirious and felt very sick. I collapsed into a stupor like sleep and awoke in the middle of the night feeling nauseous. I ran to the bathroom and I had a terrible bout of diarrhea. I felt like I was just passing a fountain of water from my butt! Then my whole body went ice cold and I thought I was going to pass out on the loo, when suddenly I threw up violently for a few minutes. After that I felt fine. But I kept my stomach light the next day and kept myself hydrated with electrolytes and definitely stayed out of the sun.

Heat Stroke - Risk Question: If you or a relative had a heat stroke, were either of you at risk? If you are at risk, in what ways will you try to prevent an occurrence?
Heat Stroke - Treatment Question: Describe the medical treatment you received when you suffered a heat stroke.
Heat Stroke - Symptoms Question: If you, a relative, or friend had a heat stroke, what were the symptoms?
Heat Stroke - Experience Question: Please share your experience with heat stroke.