Patient Comments: Heat Stroke - Symptoms

If you, a relative, or friend had a heat stroke, what were the symptoms?

Comment from: horse, Published: June 12

My symptoms developed over a period of time. We went hiking in the dessert, got lost, and were out for three hours with no water. I only weigh 100 pounds. It started with muscle cramps. I had been sweating like crazy. Next I started to feel nauseous. Then my fingers stopped working. I couldn't hold on to anything. The world started to spin and then I started seeing black and blue spots. I was hiking between adults and I had no one to tell. I got dizzy and started to lose my balance. I fell a lot. When one of my peers caught up to me, I called them the wrong name. I stopped sweating and turned really red. When we got back to camp, I started to hear and see things that weren't really there. I started to shake and got really cold. I was nauseous for the rest of the day and in the mornings for a few days after. I was exhausted and slept every time I sat down and am still easily worn out a month later.

Comment from: deb, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 30

My symptoms included uncontrollable shaking and chills that lasted for over 30 minutes.

Heat Stroke - Experience and Preventive Question: Describe your experience with heat stroke, and could it have been prevented?
Heat Stroke - Risk Question: If you or a relative had a heat stroke, were either of you at risk? If you are at risk, in what ways will you try to prevent an occurrence?
Heat Stroke - Treatment Question: Describe the medical treatment you received when you suffered a heat stroke.