Patient Comments: Heat Stroke - Treatment

Describe the medical treatment you received when you suffered a heat stroke.

Comment from: Sgt. Stacey, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

In February/March 1990, at age 23, I suffered heat stroke while in Honduras working in construction. I became so ill after my work shift and supper, with extreme headache, nausea, and muscle cramps that the only way to keep from vomiting was to lay still in my cot, hoping I'd feel better if I just 'rested'. After 3 plus hours, a coworker stopped by my tent, and I began to vomit violently as soon as I sat up! He had to help me to the medical tent, where I was immediately put on 2 IVs, one in each arm, until I looked and felt like a puffer fish! I was required to be on light duty for the remaining 2 weeks of the trip and have had significant heat intolerance in the 25 years ever since, despite being raised in the desert.

Heat Stroke - Experience and Preventive Question: Describe your experience with heat stroke, and could it have been prevented?
Heat Stroke - Risk Question: If you or a relative had a heat stroke, were either of you at risk? If you are at risk, in what ways will you try to prevent an occurrence?
Heat Stroke - Symptoms Question: If you, a relative, or friend had a heat stroke, what were the symptoms?
Heat Stroke - Experience Question: Please share your experience with heat stroke.