Patient Comments: Heat Stroke - Risk

If you or a relative had a heat stroke, were either of you at risk? If you are at risk, in what ways will you try to prevent an occurrence?

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

When I was fifteen I suffered a heat stroke in marching band camp. Just yesterday I believe I suffered from heat exhaustion. I work in a restaurant and I had to do my work and another co-worker's duties that she wasn"t able to do. I had been moving nonstop for 6 hours, lifting and carrying heavy items and making food for our dinner rush. I was sweaty, felt very hot and my heart rate was very high. I had very little to eat or drink and only took a five minute break. After I got home and showered I had a migraine and could not sleep. This morning I woke up with the migraine behind my eyes and have had vomiting and diarrhea all day.

Comment from: kathy zeigker, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: May 06

When I was 16, I spent some time in the sun but didn't get a sun burn. We went to dinner and were talking to another couple when I said I didn't feel good. Then suddenly everything went black, I went limp, and I couldn't move. I was paralyzed – I couldn't talk, see, or hear. We went to the hospital and they put me in a cold room for what seems like a long time. I never went to sleep and was awake the whole time. I finally began to move around again. They sent me home with salt tablets and told me I should not get out of bed for three days. It was terrible. This has never happened to me again, but I'd really like an answer to this. I had no warning – it hit me fast, and was such a bad feeling. I can't believe that was a heat stroke.

Heat Stroke - Experience and Preventive Question: Describe your experience with heat stroke, and could it have been prevented?
Heat Stroke - Treatment Question: Describe the medical treatment you received when you suffered a heat stroke.
Heat Stroke - Symptoms Question: If you, a relative, or friend had a heat stroke, what were the symptoms?