Patient Comments: Heat Stroke - Experience and Preventive

Question:Describe your experience with heat stroke, and could it have been prevented?

Comment from: bcinkc, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

After swimming underwater in an outdoor hotel pool is when I first noticed the problems. I believe bacteria gave me an inner ear problem. I could not hear out of my right ear and had a severe earache. Doctors don't know what the cause of my Meniere's disease is. I feel the dizziness when I am under stress or due to sudden directional head movement. I have controlled my attacks by changing my diet. I don't have caffeine, chocolate, and salt. I have always suffered from allergies and asthma. I have permanent hearing loss and constant ringing in my right ear. I have not had a full blown attack for three years. I hope soon doctors learn more about the treatment and cause for Meniere's disease.

Comment from: Nelly, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 22

About a month ago, I was at karate practice which was at the stadium of my school, outside. I really pushed myself and started to feel light headed, pounding headache, and muscle fatigue. Since it is karate, my sensei is all about pushing us to our limits. I took water breaks but I guess it wasn't enough. I went back home feeling extremely exhausted and went to sleep. While I was in bed I started to feel short of breath, heart palpitations, diarrhea, and sweats. I went to the emergency room but wasn't seen due to lack of beds, it was around 12 am and beds would not be open until 8 am. So, I just went home and recovered on my own. I felt better after a week but had another episode which wasn't as bad but now it's taking me a bit longer to recover. Now, I feel extremely exhausted and sometimes a bit breathless. I've decided to stop karate and regret not stopping myself because I was way over my limit. Glad to be alive though.

Comment from: carenotr, Published: June 22

I was anxious about an error I made and was putting my glasses on too quickly to see the error and jammed the end of the frame into my eye. The pain was horrific. The first day and a half I felt nothing but hard pressure around the entire eye. After that I felt pain across the front of my eye. Since it happened on a Saturday, I didn't see the doctor until Monday and she diagnosed a corneal abrasion from the top of my pupil into my iris. I have been using the prescribed antibiotic ointment in my eye three times a day but the pain is still aggravated when I blink of move the eyelid.

Comment from: senora, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 07

I fell a few weeks ago and started to have pain in my right flank a few days later. I thought I had cracked or broken a rib, so I went to my doctor. After 2 more weeks of guesswork, 2 CT scans covering my entire torso, blood and urine tests, and 2 trips to the emergency room, the doctors said that, by process of elimination, they were going to treat me for pleurisy. I have just started treatment, so I guess I will know in a few days if the diagnosis is correct or not. Very painful and very frustrating for the past month.

Comment from: Mark H, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 20

I broke the end of the tibia and slightly up the fibula with my foot turned the wrong angle when I fell back on it from about 1 foot high. This was a task I've done thousands of time before with no problems.

Comment from: Feeling crappy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

Well, l was told l have acute bronchitis and like the rest of you all over the board with what to take and what to do. I am losing sleep and getting frustrated. I have antibiotics and inhaler Robitussin (but not working fast enough for me). This really takes the punch out of your daily routine. I hope we all feel better soon.

Comment from: Manda, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 22

I experienced heat stroke this last summer while on a mission trip in Mexico where we built a house. On the specific day we got to the work site around 7AM and I spent the next 3 hours tacking black tar paper to the side of the house while the sun beat down, hitting the black paper and intensifying the heat. Around 10 we took a break to regroup and I noticed my eyes weren't focusing correctly and my mouth was super dry. I decided to sit down and take a 5 minute break. When the time came to get up and start working again I couldn't move and I could only barely mumble in response, and it took a lot of effort to get that mumble! I was carried to our van, water poured over me and the AC was turned on. Luckily we had medical staff on the trip with us so I was able to be taken care of. It took 4 hours, 1 full Nalgene bottle of saline water, one bottle of water and 4 bottles of Gatorade for me to get full movement back in me body. I felt sick, shaky and dizzy for days afterwards. When I returned home I consulted with my doctor and it was determined a medication I was taking, a beta blocker, contributed to the heat stroke. There were definitely signs of heat exhaustion first though and I wish I would have paid attention to them instead of pushing through.

Heat Stroke - Risk Question: If you or a relative had a heat stroke, were either of you at risk? If you are at risk, in what ways will you try to prevent an occurrence?
Heat Stroke - Treatment Question: Describe the medical treatment you received when you suffered a heat stroke.
Heat Stroke - Symptoms Question: If you, a relative, or friend had a heat stroke, what were the symptoms?
Heat Stroke - Experience Question: Please share your experience with heat stroke.