Patient Comments: Heat Stroke - Experience and Preventive

Question:Describe your experience with heat stroke, and could it have been prevented?

Comment from: kayc123, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 01

After reading the signs and symptoms of heat stroke, I now realize I get mild forms of that regularly. Had a serious episode of it the other day I think, where I spent many hours under direct sun on a very hot day whilst I mowed my lawn, later that day I got massive migraines, confusion, vomiting, light sensitivity and fevers that lasted 3 days. I didn't seek medical treatment at the time thought it was just a bug. No lasting damage done.

Comment from: socrates, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 21

My sister, who is very aware of correct hydration, has had signs of heat stroke while hiking. The last time she was hiking in high desert, temp about 80. She is missing a large part of her thyroid, but is otherwise very healthy and very active. I am the medical go to guy in our family, but I can't find out if the tipping point is lowered with repeated exposure.

Comment from: Sparky, 55-64 Male Published: September 14

I think I had heat stroke or exhaustion yesterday after a volleyball practice. I am a volleyball coach and was involved in some very active and challenging drills with my team during practice. I was tired and hot but felt fine all during practice but never drank any water or liquid at all. 15 minutes after practice I became dizzy, disoriented, confused and generally in a state of la la land. Could not think straight or talk talk to anyone without being confused. After water, food and rest for about 45 minutes I was ok. Guess I need to drink water just like I tell my players.

Comment from: skater1234567890, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: June 12

Yesterday at the park I began feeling very lightheaded and queasy. I'm only 14 and was with my friends. There was no water in our area so we decided to walk to the water fountains. I started to get really hot and sweaty. I began sweating so much that I stopped all together. I was halfway there when I vomited, but I didn't tell my friends because I thought I might just be sick. I was still walking with my friends, but it became too much for me and I collapsed. I didn't think I could make it and my friends thought I was just joking because of how I passed out. I could have prevented this by not wearing black clothing in the Texas summer. I'm feeling better now, but I was in the worst situation of my life.

Comment from: last call, 45-54 (Patient) Published: April 05

I had a heat stroke last year. I was working on the floor for about 5 hours and my legs gave out a few times, and quickly had me dragging one. I went to the doctor and was told to take it easy. I later passed out due to the cramps and pain, and laid in the sun for the next 5 hours. I have sever nerve damage and damage to l4 and l5. It's almost a year into this and I am still on pain pills, it hurts to sit, walk, and lay down.

Comment from: 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: November 19

My senior year of high school in 2006 on the first day of football practice I had a heat stroke. I was unconscious and my heart stopped beating for two minutes and 27 seconds.

Heat Stroke - Risk Question: If you or a relative had a heat stroke, were either of you at risk? If you are at risk, in what ways will you try to prevent an occurrence?
Heat Stroke - Treatment Question: Describe the medical treatment you received when you suffered a heat stroke.
Heat Stroke - Symptoms Question: If you, a relative, or friend had a heat stroke, what were the symptoms?