Patient Comments: Heat Stroke - Experience and Preventive

Question:Describe your experience with heat stroke, and could it have been prevented?

Comment from: 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I am a 15 year old female, healthy, and I ride a bicycle 10 miles daily. While cutting grass today in the 100 degree heat I felt thirsty, sat down, was handed some water...Before I could get a drink I started having a seizure and fell to the ground. My Father grabbed me, the seizure lasted 30 seconds and then I passed out. I woke up one minute later as my father rubbed me down with a wet towel while waiting for an ambulance. I was sent to the hospital, was told I had a heat stroke. My parents saved me...I am glad they are both nurses.

Comment from: nmalien, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I was waiting at home, with the windows open, for the AC Repairman to appear and fix my unit (Texas in May 2011). I must have fallen asleep or dozed for approximately 4-5 hours in an ottoman with my legs up. When awakened, the room reflected a temperature over 100 degrees. I immediately took a cool shower, trying to cool down. Since that time, I have had a massive headache for the past five days, repetitive chills and fever with nausea and coughing, regularly and heavily hydrated myself with no problem urinating, had a stiff neck and sore scalp, been able to eat proteins briskly but had no appetite or tolerance for carbohydrates, have increasing ability in motor skills but was initially very clumsy and incapable of fine motor movement. I am extremely tired, physically exhausted but sleep makes the headache worse. I cannot seem to maintain a normal body temperature while outside and upon entering AC, I sweat profusely for 30-45 minutes. My evening temperature fluctuates between normal to 103 degrees. I could have prevented this from happening by letting my children wait for the blasted repairman!

Comment from: 25-34 Male Published: May 12

My wife and I were in a very hot room during a vigorious activity. I felt a tense pain from the back right side of my neck to the front right side. Lots of sweat but didn't cool off. Got cold water and poured it on the top of my head and the pain went down instantly. I think that I might have had a mild heat stroke.

Comment from: Clint, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 12

It was on Friday when I experienced Heat Stroke. I'm 37 and I was working on a ranch in South Texas setting up a hunting stand. The temperature was 95 in the middle of the day and all the sudden I started getting chills, shaking, headache, slurred speech and felt like getting sick. I also stopped sweating and I could not cool off. It's Sunday and I am finally starting to feel beter. I should have had ice cold water to drink and not warm! I should have had more breaks. I will be more prepared next time.

Comment from: tata, 19-24 Female Published: March 17

I am a 20 year old healthy female, Tuesday morning went to the beach from 10am - 7pm weather was cloudy and windy. Then I went to friends house afterwards, started feeling dizzy, my friend said my eyes looked dilated then I feel weird. My friends helped me up asked if I was ok, I replied yes but don't remember anything, then I passed out. I was carried inside, my leg and lip were twitching. I came too was given water and then had a really bad headache.

Comment from: kayc123, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 01

After reading the signs and symptoms of heat stroke, I now realize I get mild forms of that regularly. Had a serious episode of it the other day I think, where I spent many hours under direct sun on a very hot day whilst I mowed my lawn, later that day I got massive migraines, confusion, vomiting, light sensitivity and fevers that lasted 3 days. I didn't seek medical treatment at the time thought it was just a bug. No lasting damage done.

Comment from: socrates, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 21

My sister, who is very aware of correct hydration, has had signs of heat stroke while hiking. The last time she was hiking in high desert, temp about 80. She is missing a large part of her thyroid, but is otherwise very healthy and very active. I am the medical go to guy in our family, but I can't find out if the tipping point is lowered with repeated exposure.

Comment from: Sparky, 55-64 Male Published: September 14

I think I had heat stroke or exhaustion yesterday after a volleyball practice. I am a volleyball coach and was involved in some very active and challenging drills with my team during practice. I was tired and hot but felt fine all during practice but never drank any water or liquid at all. 15 minutes after practice I became dizzy, disoriented, confused and generally in a state of la la land. Could not think straight or talk talk to anyone without being confused. After water, food and rest for about 45 minutes I was ok. Guess I need to drink water just like I tell my players.

Comment from: skater1234567890, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: June 12

Yesterday at the park I began feeling very lightheaded and queasy. I'm only 14 and was with my friends. There was no water in our area so we decided to walk to the water fountains. I started to get really hot and sweaty. I began sweating so much that I stopped all together. I was halfway there when I vomited, but I didn't tell my friends because I thought I might just be sick. I was still walking with my friends, but it became too much for me and I collapsed. I didn't think I could make it and my friends thought I was just joking because of how I passed out. I could have prevented this by not wearing black clothing in the Texas summer. I'm feeling better now, but I was in the worst situation of my life.

Heat Stroke - Risk Question: If you or a relative had a heat stroke, were either of you at risk? If you are at risk, in what ways will you try to prevent an occurrence?
Heat Stroke - Treatment Question: Describe the medical treatment you received when you suffered a heat stroke.
Heat Stroke - Symptoms Question: If you, a relative, or friend had a heat stroke, what were the symptoms?
Heat Stroke - Experience Question: Please share your experience with heat stroke.