Patient Comments: Heat Stroke - Experience and Preventive

Question:Describe your experience with heat stroke, and could it have been prevented?

Comment from: redman, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 30

I worked vigorously for 2 to 3 hours in the sun in 95 to 100 degree weather. I experienced tightness in my chest and sweaty hands and feet. At the ER room my heart was checked and monitored throughout the night. Also I was given a stress test. Thank GOD my heart is o.k. still feel a little weak.

Comment from: BillyC., 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 15

The other day I had to walk eight miles in almost a hundred degree temp. With no water. Some time along the way I stopped sweating, became dizzy, and got chills. The next thing I know I was crawling out of a ditch. I had no idea how I ended up there. After six hours of walking, the last of it I don't remember, I finally made it home. My left arm and hand was swollen, my left shoulder and neck felt like someone was tearing my arm off, I was vomiting uncontrollably, my head and left arm was throbbing with pain, I was hallucinating, I was dizzy to the point I couldn't stand up. When my wife finally got me to the ER, I sat there for five hours before I was seen. They said it was just exposure and mild heat exhaustion. They hooked me to an I.V. and sent me home. That was two days ago, and I still feel horrible, and hallucinating.

Comment from: 55-64 Female Published: June 15

I was stranded on the side of the road for a period of 2 hours with temperatures around 98 degrees and I have history of heart disease, diseased liver and of acute renal failure. This was on Sunday and I am experiencing nausea and vomiting as well as stomach cramps after being out in the heat for a short period of time on Tuesday. I also had a terrible headache on Sunday that kept me awake that night and did not subside until Monday night- and I am still having trouble feeling cooled down.

Comment from: 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I am a 15 year old female, healthy, and I ride a bicycle 10 miles daily. While cutting grass today in the 100 degree heat I felt thirsty, sat down, was handed some water...Before I could get a drink I started having a seizure and fell to the ground. My Father grabbed me, the seizure lasted 30 seconds and then I passed out. I woke up one minute later as my father rubbed me down with a wet towel while waiting for an ambulance. I was sent to the hospital, was told I had a heat stroke. My parents saved me...I am glad they are both nurses.

Comment from: nmalien, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I was waiting at home, with the windows open, for the AC Repairman to appear and fix my unit (Texas in May 2011). I must have fallen asleep or dozed for approximately 4-5 hours in an ottoman with my legs up. When awakened, the room reflected a temperature over 100 degrees. I immediately took a cool shower, trying to cool down. Since that time, I have had a massive headache for the past five days, repetitive chills and fever with nausea and coughing, regularly and heavily hydrated myself with no problem urinating, had a stiff neck and sore scalp, been able to eat proteins briskly but had no appetite or tolerance for carbohydrates, have increasing ability in motor skills but was initially very clumsy and incapable of fine motor movement. I am extremely tired, physically exhausted but sleep makes the headache worse. I cannot seem to maintain a normal body temperature while outside and upon entering AC, I sweat profusely for 30-45 minutes. My evening temperature fluctuates between normal to 103 degrees. I could have prevented this from happening by letting my children wait for the blasted repairman!

Comment from: 25-34 Male Published: May 12

My wife and I were in a very hot room during a vigorious activity. I felt a tense pain from the back right side of my neck to the front right side. Lots of sweat but didn't cool off. Got cold water and poured it on the top of my head and the pain went down instantly. I think that I might have had a mild heat stroke.

Comment from: Clint, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 12

It was on Friday when I experienced Heat Stroke. I'm 37 and I was working on a ranch in South Texas setting up a hunting stand. The temperature was 95 in the middle of the day and all the sudden I started getting chills, shaking, headache, slurred speech and felt like getting sick. I also stopped sweating and I could not cool off. It's Sunday and I am finally starting to feel beter. I should have had ice cold water to drink and not warm! I should have had more breaks. I will be more prepared next time.

Comment from: tata, 19-24 Female Published: March 17

I am a 20 year old healthy female, Tuesday morning went to the beach from 10am - 7pm weather was cloudy and windy. Then I went to friends house afterwards, started feeling dizzy, my friend said my eyes looked dilated then I feel weird. My friends helped me up asked if I was ok, I replied yes but don't remember anything, then I passed out. I was carried inside, my leg and lip were twitching. I came too was given water and then had a really bad headache.

Heat Stroke - Risk Question: If you or a relative had a heat stroke, were either of you at risk? If you are at risk, in what ways will you try to prevent an occurrence?
Heat Stroke - Treatment Question: Describe the medical treatment you received when you suffered a heat stroke.
Heat Stroke - Symptoms Question: If you, a relative, or friend had a heat stroke, what were the symptoms?