Patient Comments: Heat Stroke - Experience and Preventive

Question:Describe your experience with heat stroke, and could it have been prevented?

Comment from: litbitnelson, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 24

We live in Texas where it has been over 100 degrees for 69 days now. My husband pours concrete for a living and doesn't hydrate well enough. He came home and looked awful, saying he almost died today. He went to sleep for a few hours and woke up with a major headache. I believe he suffered from a heatstroke. I'm giving him gatorade to hydrate him. Protect yourself and your KIDS!

Comment from: Gretchen, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: July 18

Don't put off calling for help if you, or your loved ones are having symptoms of heat stroke, or heat exhaustion. A person can seem fine one minute, then be unintelligible the next. It can be fatal. Cool them off and rehydrate! Call for an ambulance. I've been through it with a loved one and it's not a good thing. Even if you think they are ok, wait a few minutes, it can change. My gut instinct told me to go back and check. Thank God I did. Please don't ignore symptoms.

Comment from: kayak11, 55-64 Female Published: June 23

I was stupid! I live in Southern Florida. It was 94 degrees, the water was like glass, and I wanted to go kayaking. I kayaked for three hours and felt great until I stood up! Everything went spinning. I got cold, felt as though I needed to vomit and couldn't think straight.

Comment from: Riposte, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 10

On Sunday last I worked in my yard for 3 hours on a day that I thought was cool and overcast. I felt a little light-headed, so I went in and had some really cold water. I was still felling funny , so I came back in, but before I could put the A/C on, I passed out. I came to, put the A/C on, and lay with my legs up in front of the A/C. Soon I started to vomit, then I felt a pain on my right chest. The Ambulance took me to the Emergency Room where I was treated for a Heart Attack for one day. Eventually I was diagnosed with "Heat/Humidity" Stroke. I have been home for two days, but now realize that I feel a bit weak still. When I checked, I had lost 6 pounds in 3 days!!

Comment from: mahs soccer 21, 13-18 Female Published: October 01

Today during a cross country meet at Pierce College, one of my friends suffered a heat stroke, and my other friend suffered some other heat-related illness. The temperature reached 97 degrees, I think. I suffered from heat exhaustion, but I'm OK.

Comment from: Concerned, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 24

I have been trying to carefully watch what is going on with my body reactions. We are experiencing extreme heat that has not let up for over a month now. I live in the STL area, and we have been breaking records all summer. Days and days over 100, with nights that don't get below 80, an old brick building that keeps our bedroom in the 90's even with air conditioning running. No rain for over a month here either, and the ground has huge cracks in it. I am also hypothyroid, and I've been very near panic a couple times. My body never sweats much or cools off right, and I am currently taking only 1/2 dose of my thyroid meds, trying to stretch it out until I can get in to my doctor (who won't renew my prescription without a visit, despite my being a patient for 7 years!). I am also partially disabled, so can't get out and about. I drink water all day long, have a Frogg Togg to help stay cooler, and am currently using an ice bag packed with cubes, and keep moving it on different pulse points. This is the first time in a long, long time that I've felt dying was a real possibility, and I never would have thought it would be from the heat! Our building also has a black roof, and it is miserable in here. There's no place to go though, and I have no car, so ice cubes and cold drinks are all the weapons I have right now. It's pretty scary stuff, with no real end in sight.

Comment from: 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 11

My son works at a restaurant around equipment that reaches up to 500 degree temperatures. The air conditioner on the cooking line went out and all the other employees were sweating heavily, but my son was not sweating at all. He then began to have symptoms of hallucinations, confusion, rapid heart rate, serious confusion, slight nausea, odd feelings, and behavior.

Comment from: conniew10, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I was in Vegas on vacation last week and the temps were 105-114. Spent one afternoon walking the strip but thought nothing of it. Next day one the way home via the airport which wasn't very cool, I started having trouble breathing and felt very hot and nauseous, I think I was having a heat stroke then but refused to go to the hospital. 2 days later with a continuous headache and feeling very hot I woke with fever blisters over 3/4 of my lips. I should have hydrated better and seen the doctor when the symptoms came up. I just wanted to go home. I knew it wasn't a heart attack because it felt different.

Heat Stroke - Risk Question: If you or a relative had a heat stroke, were either of you at risk? If you are at risk, in what ways will you try to prevent an occurrence?
Heat Stroke - Treatment Question: Describe the medical treatment you received when you suffered a heat stroke.
Heat Stroke - Symptoms Question: If you, a relative, or friend had a heat stroke, what were the symptoms?