Patient Comments: Heat Stroke - Experience and Preventive

Question:Describe your experience with heat stroke, and could it have been prevented?

Comment from: Concerned, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 24

I have been trying to carefully watch what is going on with my body reactions. We are experiencing extreme heat that has not let up for over a month now. I live in the STL area, and we have been breaking records all summer. Days and days over 100, with nights that don't get below 80, an old brick building that keeps our bedroom in the 90's even with air conditioning running. No rain for over a month here either, and the ground has huge cracks in it. I am also hypothyroid, and I've been very near panic a couple times. My body never sweats much or cools off right, and I am currently taking only 1/2 dose of my thyroid meds, trying to stretch it out until I can get in to my doctor (who won't renew my prescription without a visit, despite my being a patient for 7 years!). I am also partially disabled, so can't get out and about. I drink water all day long, have a Frogg Togg to help stay cooler, and am currently using an ice bag packed with cubes, and keep moving it on different pulse points. This is the first time in a long, long time that I've felt dying was a real possibility, and I never would have thought it would be from the heat! Our building also has a black roof, and it is miserable in here. There's no place to go though, and I have no car, so ice cubes and cold drinks are all the weapons I have right now. It's pretty scary stuff, with no real end in sight.

Comment from: 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 11

My son works at a restaurant around equipment that reaches up to 500 degree temperatures. The air conditioner on the cooking line went out and all the other employees were sweating heavily, but my son was not sweating at all. He then began to have symptoms of hallucinations, confusion, rapid heart rate, serious confusion, slight nausea, odd feelings, and behavior.

Comment from: conniew10, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I was in Vegas on vacation last week and the temps were 105-114. Spent one afternoon walking the strip but thought nothing of it. Next day one the way home via the airport which wasn't very cool, I started having trouble breathing and felt very hot and nauseous, I think I was having a heat stroke then but refused to go to the hospital. 2 days later with a continuous headache and feeling very hot I woke with fever blisters over 3/4 of my lips. I should have hydrated better and seen the doctor when the symptoms came up. I just wanted to go home. I knew it wasn't a heart attack because it felt different.

Comment from: BillyC., 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 15

The other day I had to walk eight miles in almost a hundred degree temp. With no water. Some time along the way I stopped sweating, became dizzy, and got chills. The next thing I know I was crawling out of a ditch. I had no idea how I ended up there. After six hours of walking, the last of it I don't remember, I finally made it home. My left arm and hand was swollen, my left shoulder and neck felt like someone was tearing my arm off, I was vomiting uncontrollably, my head and left arm was throbbing with pain, I was hallucinating, I was dizzy to the point I couldn't stand up. When my wife finally got me to the ER, I sat there for five hours before I was seen. They said it was just exposure and mild heat exhaustion. They hooked me to an I.V. and sent me home. That was two days ago, and I still feel horrible, and hallucinating.

Comment from: 55-64 Female Published: June 15

I was stranded on the side of the road for a period of 2 hours with temperatures around 98 degrees and I have history of heart disease, diseased liver and of acute renal failure. This was on Sunday and I am experiencing nausea and vomiting as well as stomach cramps after being out in the heat for a short period of time on Tuesday. I also had a terrible headache on Sunday that kept me awake that night and did not subside until Monday night- and I am still having trouble feeling cooled down.

Comment from: 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I am a 15 year old female, healthy, and I ride a bicycle 10 miles daily. While cutting grass today in the 100 degree heat I felt thirsty, sat down, was handed some water...Before I could get a drink I started having a seizure and fell to the ground. My Father grabbed me, the seizure lasted 30 seconds and then I passed out. I woke up one minute later as my father rubbed me down with a wet towel while waiting for an ambulance. I was sent to the hospital, was told I had a heat stroke. My parents saved me...I am glad they are both nurses.

Comment from: nmalien, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I was waiting at home, with the windows open, for the AC Repairman to appear and fix my unit (Texas in May 2011). I must have fallen asleep or dozed for approximately 4-5 hours in an ottoman with my legs up. When awakened, the room reflected a temperature over 100 degrees. I immediately took a cool shower, trying to cool down. Since that time, I have had a massive headache for the past five days, repetitive chills and fever with nausea and coughing, regularly and heavily hydrated myself with no problem urinating, had a stiff neck and sore scalp, been able to eat proteins briskly but had no appetite or tolerance for carbohydrates, have increasing ability in motor skills but was initially very clumsy and incapable of fine motor movement. I am extremely tired, physically exhausted but sleep makes the headache worse. I cannot seem to maintain a normal body temperature while outside and upon entering AC, I sweat profusely for 30-45 minutes. My evening temperature fluctuates between normal to 103 degrees. I could have prevented this from happening by letting my children wait for the blasted repairman!

Heat Stroke - Risk Question: If you or a relative had a heat stroke, were either of you at risk? If you are at risk, in what ways will you try to prevent an occurrence?
Heat Stroke - Treatment Question: Describe the medical treatment you received when you suffered a heat stroke.
Heat Stroke - Symptoms Question: If you, a relative, or friend had a heat stroke, what were the symptoms?
Heat Stroke - Experience Question: Please share your experience with heat stroke.