Patient Comments: Heat Stroke - Experience and Preventive

Question:Describe your experience with heat stroke, and could it have been prevented?

Comment from: vcob, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

After falling asleep in the sun for six hours in heat over 90 degrees, I awoke with a terrible headache and vomiting. I continued to have the headache and was sick to my stomach for three days. I went to my family doctor, and he said I had a heat stroke. He said to hydrate myself with Gatorade and eat plenty of salt to retain my water.

Comment from: Charlotte, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 05

On Sept 4th I attended an outside birthday party on an extremely hot day. I felt I was getting too hot but did not want to be a party pooper so I continued to remain outside with everyone else. After 3 or 4 hours, I could not take anymore and felt I was not even going to make it to my car but I did. After I turned on the A/c unit, I begin to feel water running down the left side of my face and when I wiped it, there was nothing there. To this day, I have this feeling all day every day. I do have a doctor appointment tomorrow to see what he says. I feel sure it was a heat stroke. I will never sit out in the sun for that long for any birthday party, even though it was my grandson's.

Comment from: DianeH, 45-54 Female Published: August 06

I went out bike riding later than I normally do, (10:00 a.m. rather than 7 or 8) on an extremely hot day. I went to a path I ride normally 2-3x a week. I rode a little farther than normal and rode faster on my way back. It came over me in no more than 2 minutes. I started to see spots and felt light-headed, so I decided to get off my bike in the shade. I started to feel disoriented and leaned up against a fence before passing out. My head hit a metal post on the way down; fortunately I was still wearing my bike helmet. I was so lucky that a number of strangers, stopped and stayed with me. They gave me their water and gatorade and I sat for a while. I felt nauseous and vomited up all the water I had ingested. They were wise enough not to let me ride back by myself and called some friends of theirs to bring their van and pick me up and they drove me back to my car. It was unbelievable. Much of this I don't remember but the guys who helped me walked me through what had happened. I still can't believe it happened to me. In hindsight, it makes perfect sense. I had no fluids prior to my ride and didn't start to drink until I had been riding for about a half an hour in extreme heat and humidity. I was very fortunate.

Comment from: patricia.ethridge, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 02

I am a 34 year old core driller and I work in the heat all day. I live in Alabama so you know it is very hot here. I came home after working 12 hours in excessive heat, got very weak and passed out. I was taken to the hospital and they said they couldn't find anything wrong. I was glad. Everyone be careful working in this heat and stay hydrated.

Comment from: 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: July 24

My son was playing baseball and started feeling dizzy. His hands and feet felt like gravity was pulling him down unable to move. Could not keep his eyes open, started seeing colored squares in shapes. Then everything went gray. It was hard to breath. My son tried not to fall. He started to hear a siren-like sound. He struggled to get to shade and get water. He drank Gatorade and rested for one hour felt better, but very weak. Told he had heat stroke and dehydration. They forced him to play in the sun after the one hour of rest. The next day he is still very weak and his legs feel funny.

Comment from: michelle, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 11

Yesterday I was out with my family at a festival for only about an hour then we went to go get something to eat after. It wasn't that hot outside, but when we went to eat we ate at a picnic table outside and I suddenly wasn't hungry although I didn't have anything to eat that day (mistake number one). All of a sudden I got sweaty and dizzy and my husband had to catch me, I was falling off the bench. I was drenched in sweat with severe dizziness and felt like I was going to throw up. My husband carried me to the truck and put the air conditioner on immediately. I could barely breathe. My other symptom was numbness of my fingertips which was odd. All the way home I had my eyes closed from the dizziness and felt that I had to go to the bathroom. I went to bathroom and had severe diarrhea and felt clammy. I didn't want to drink or eat anything. Finally, after a couple of hours, I felt better and drank. The headache was still there, even the next day, and felt very weak. I should have eaten that day and drank fluid -- learned my lesson.

Comment from: litbitnelson, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 24

We live in Texas where it has been over 100 degrees for 69 days now. My husband pours concrete for a living and doesn't hydrate well enough. He came home and looked awful, saying he almost died today. He went to sleep for a few hours and woke up with a major headache. I believe he suffered from a heatstroke. I'm giving him gatorade to hydrate him. Protect yourself and your KIDS!

Comment from: Gretchen, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: July 18

Don't put off calling for help if you, or your loved ones are having symptoms of heat stroke, or heat exhaustion. A person can seem fine one minute, then be unintelligible the next. It can be fatal. Cool them off and rehydrate! Call for an ambulance. I've been through it with a loved one and it's not a good thing. Even if you think they are ok, wait a few minutes, it can change. My gut instinct told me to go back and check. Thank God I did. Please don't ignore symptoms.

Heat Stroke - Risk Question: If you or a relative had a heat stroke, were either of you at risk? If you are at risk, in what ways will you try to prevent an occurrence?
Heat Stroke - Treatment Question: Describe the medical treatment you received when you suffered a heat stroke.
Heat Stroke - Symptoms Question: If you, a relative, or friend had a heat stroke, what were the symptoms?
Heat Stroke - Experience Question: Please share your experience with heat stroke.