Patient Comments: Heat Stroke - Experience and Preventive

Question:Describe your experience with heat stroke, and could it have been prevented?

Comment from: heat dumb, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 30

I had heat stroke summer of 2005 here in Phoenix AZ we regularly see high temps and this day it was to be 112f. After along bike ride 45 miles or more I got dizzy on my bike and felt disoriented I of course had been drinking water all the way but I almost couldn't go on I kept having to stop. When I finally got home I got more water a shower to cool off and thought I'd be fine. Two hours later I wake up with a bad head ache and could not see straight. More water and straight up it came I could not hold down anything for the next 3 to 5 hours. The next day I still had a head ache and problem seeing and just felt terrible. I still wanted to eat but could barely hold down Gatorade. I stayed home for 5 days trying to get better but I could not think straight and was fatigued and still had the headache. It has been years and still ever summer I still feel the same things fatigued and can't stand to be in the heat for any time unless I want to go thru similar experiences. Fatigued and tired of this as I write. It is summer again 110f today.

Comment from: Hot Jen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 20

I had a heat stroke or suffered from some kind of heat exhaustion. I work at a fast-food restaurant. I live in Texas, and we are having unusually warm weather for June (90 to 100 degrees). I work on a hamburger building line with a hot grill, oven, and fryer behind me. My job is extremely physical and fast paced. Early in the day, I felt a little overheated but didn't think much about it, as that happens a lot. Later in the day, I began having tightness in my chest and difficulty catching my breath. I was worried I might be having a heart attack, so I took some aspirin but kept working because I need the hours. I am on a very tight budget. As the day progressed, I seemed to be getting worse and worse. I still couldn't breathe, felt highly fatigued, was short-tempered and my thinking pattern was fuzzy. I ended up leaving work a little early. After I got home I took my temperature, and I had a low-grade fever. Sometimes at work, we get so busy that I don't get to drink or even go to the bathroom. We are lucky to even get breaks. I think I need a new job. My health is definitely at risk. I cannot go on like this. Maybe if I slow down, drink Gatorade and lose the “Super Girl” routine this won't happen again. My chest still hurts even now. This was a really scary experience!

Comment from: vcob, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

After falling asleep in the sun for six hours in heat over 90 degrees, I awoke with a terrible headache and vomiting. I continued to have the headache and was sick to my stomach for three days. I went to my family doctor, and he said I had a heat stroke. He said to hydrate myself with Gatorade and eat plenty of salt to retain my water.

Comment from: Charlotte, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 05

On Sept 4th I attended an outside birthday party on an extremely hot day. I felt I was getting too hot but did not want to be a party pooper so I continued to remain outside with everyone else. After 3 or 4 hours, I could not take anymore and felt I was not even going to make it to my car but I did. After I turned on the A/c unit, I begin to feel water running down the left side of my face and when I wiped it, there was nothing there. To this day, I have this feeling all day every day. I do have a doctor appointment tomorrow to see what he says. I feel sure it was a heat stroke. I will never sit out in the sun for that long for any birthday party, even though it was my grandson's.

Comment from: patricia.ethridge, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 02

I am a 34 year old core driller and I work in the heat all day. I live in Alabama so you know it is very hot here. I came home after working 12 hours in excessive heat, got very weak and passed out. I was taken to the hospital and they said they couldn't find anything wrong. I was glad. Everyone be careful working in this heat and stay hydrated.

Comment from: 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: July 24

My son was playing baseball and started feeling dizzy. His hands and feet felt like gravity was pulling him down unable to move. Could not keep his eyes open, started seeing colored squares in shapes. Then everything went gray. It was hard to breath. My son tried not to fall. He started to hear a siren-like sound. He struggled to get to shade and get water. He drank Gatorade and rested for one hour felt better, but very weak. Told he had heat stroke and dehydration. They forced him to play in the sun after the one hour of rest. The next day he is still very weak and his legs feel funny.

Comment from: michelle, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 11

Yesterday I was out with my family at a festival for only about an hour then we went to go get something to eat after. It wasn't that hot outside, but when we went to eat we ate at a picnic table outside and I suddenly wasn't hungry although I didn't have anything to eat that day (mistake number one). All of a sudden I got sweaty and dizzy and my husband had to catch me, I was falling off the bench. I was drenched in sweat with severe dizziness and felt like I was going to throw up. My husband carried me to the truck and put the air conditioner on immediately. I could barely breathe. My other symptom was numbness of my fingertips which was odd. All the way home I had my eyes closed from the dizziness and felt that I had to go to the bathroom. I went to bathroom and had severe diarrhea and felt clammy. I didn't want to drink or eat anything. Finally, after a couple of hours, I felt better and drank. The headache was still there, even the next day, and felt very weak. I should have eaten that day and drank fluid -- learned my lesson.

Heat Stroke - Risk Question: If you or a relative had a heat stroke, were either of you at risk? If you are at risk, in what ways will you try to prevent an occurrence?
Heat Stroke - Treatment Question: Describe the medical treatment you received when you suffered a heat stroke.
Heat Stroke - Symptoms Question: If you, a relative, or friend had a heat stroke, what were the symptoms?