Patient Comments: Heat Stroke - Experience and Preventive

Question:Describe your experience with heat stroke, and could it have been prevented?

Comment from: patricia.ethridge, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 02

I am a 34 year old core driller and I work in the heat all day. I live in Alabama so you know it is very hot here. I came home after working 12 hours in excessive heat, got very weak and passed out. I was taken to the hospital and they said they couldn't find anything wrong. I was glad. Everyone be careful working in this heat and stay hydrated.

Comment from: 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: July 24

My son was playing baseball and started feeling dizzy. His hands and feet felt like gravity was pulling him down unable to move. Could not keep his eyes open, started seeing colored squares in shapes. Then everything went gray. It was hard to breath. My son tried not to fall. He started to hear a siren-like sound. He struggled to get to shade and get water. He drank Gatorade and rested for one hour felt better, but very weak. Told he had heat stroke and dehydration. They forced him to play in the sun after the one hour of rest. The next day he is still very weak and his legs feel funny.

Comment from: michelle, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 11

Yesterday I was out with my family at a festival for only about an hour then we went to go get something to eat after. It wasn't that hot outside, but when we went to eat we ate at a picnic table outside and I suddenly wasn't hungry although I didn't have anything to eat that day (mistake number one). All of a sudden I got sweaty and dizzy and my husband had to catch me, I was falling off the bench. I was drenched in sweat with severe dizziness and felt like I was going to throw up. My husband carried me to the truck and put the air conditioner on immediately. I could barely breathe. My other symptom was numbness of my fingertips which was odd. All the way home I had my eyes closed from the dizziness and felt that I had to go to the bathroom. I went to bathroom and had severe diarrhea and felt clammy. I didn't want to drink or eat anything. Finally, after a couple of hours, I felt better and drank. The headache was still there, even the next day, and felt very weak. I should have eaten that day and drank fluid -- learned my lesson.

Comment from: litbitnelson, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 24

We live in Texas where it has been over 100 degrees for 69 days now. My husband pours concrete for a living and doesn't hydrate well enough. He came home and looked awful, saying he almost died today. He went to sleep for a few hours and woke up with a major headache. I believe he suffered from a heatstroke. I'm giving him gatorade to hydrate him. Protect yourself and your KIDS!

Comment from: Gretchen, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: July 18

Don't put off calling for help if you, or your loved ones are having symptoms of heat stroke, or heat exhaustion. A person can seem fine one minute, then be unintelligible the next. It can be fatal. Cool them off and rehydrate! Call for an ambulance. I've been through it with a loved one and it's not a good thing. Even if you think they are ok, wait a few minutes, it can change. My gut instinct told me to go back and check. Thank God I did. Please don't ignore symptoms.

Comment from: kayak11, 55-64 Female Published: June 23

I was stupid! I live in Southern Florida. It was 94 degrees, the water was like glass, and I wanted to go kayaking. I kayaked for three hours and felt great until I stood up! Everything went spinning. I got cold, felt as though I needed to vomit and couldn't think straight.

Comment from: Riposte, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 10

On Sunday last I worked in my yard for 3 hours on a day that I thought was cool and overcast. I felt a little light-headed, so I went in and had some really cold water. I was still felling funny , so I came back in, but before I could put the A/C on, I passed out. I came to, put the A/C on, and lay with my legs up in front of the A/C. Soon I started to vomit, then I felt a pain on my right chest. The Ambulance took me to the Emergency Room where I was treated for a Heart Attack for one day. Eventually I was diagnosed with "Heat/Humidity" Stroke. I have been home for two days, but now realize that I feel a bit weak still. When I checked, I had lost 6 pounds in 3 days!!

Comment from: mahs soccer 21, 13-18 Female Published: October 01

Today during a cross country meet at Pierce College, one of my friends suffered a heat stroke, and my other friend suffered some other heat-related illness. The temperature reached 97 degrees, I think. I suffered from heat exhaustion, but I'm OK.

Comment from: KKain, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 15

Today was not the hottest day of the summer as it has been 34 here all summer but, 25 degrees was hot enough to give me heatstroke. I was heading home around lunch time, got in my car and felt great. Within a few minutes I began to lose some of my vision where I found it difficult to focus on the cars in front of me and how close or far they were. I also had a very hard time seeing the stop lights and my orientation was very distorted. I drove home thinking it was nothing and never expecting heatstroke, I thought it was just fatigue. I got home and felt sick to my stomach therefore, thought it was a good idea to have a nice cool glass of water. Within ten minutes, I got this pounded headache almost a migraine. I finally realized I had just experienced my first heatstroke. Scariest thing of my life as I did not take the symptoms seriously and it could have been fatal.

Heat Stroke - Risk Question: If you or a relative had a heat stroke, were either of you at risk? If you are at risk, in what ways will you try to prevent an occurrence?
Heat Stroke - Treatment Question: Describe the medical treatment you received when you suffered a heat stroke.
Heat Stroke - Symptoms Question: If you, a relative, or friend had a heat stroke, what were the symptoms?
Heat Stroke - Experience Question: Please share your experience with heat stroke.