Patient Comments: Heat Stroke - Experience and Preventive

Question:Describe your experience with heat stroke, and could it have been prevented?

Comment from: Serenity, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I was 27 and I experienced heat stroke in August 2013, when Iowa was experiencing its record-breaking heat wave. I was going in and out of work for 6 hours with only one break 1/2 way between. It was store policy that liquids were to be kept in a room 3 yards from the registers and you could not drink if you had a customer or there were customers in line. I was feeling faint, light headed, clammy palms, 99.5 temperature when I got home, I felt pretty weak and just lied in bed after work. I also had light sensitivity and headaches that continued into September along with clammy palms quiet often.

Comment from: KKain, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 15

Today was not the hottest day of the summer as it has been 34 here all summer but, 25 degrees was hot enough to give me heatstroke. I was heading home around lunch time, got in my car and felt great. Within a few minutes I began to lose some of my vision where I found it difficult to focus on the cars in front of me and how close or far they were. I also had a very hard time seeing the stop lights and my orientation was very distorted. I drove home thinking it was nothing and never expecting heatstroke, I thought it was just fatigue. I got home and felt sick to my stomach therefore, thought it was a good idea to have a nice cool glass of water. Within ten minutes, I got this pounded headache almost a migraine. I finally realized I had just experienced my first heatstroke. Scariest thing of my life as I did not take the symptoms seriously and it could have been fatal.

Comment from: Annie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I was on holiday and had spent the whole day at the beach - swimming in the sea and tanning in the sun. I made quite a few serious mistakes that eventually led to my severe heat stroke. First I had two glasses of beer at the beach, then later that night at home even though I was feeling a bit flushed and hot; I felt ok and had a glass of wine with my friend. Within an hour I was delirious and felt very sick. I collapsed into a stupor like sleep and awoke in the middle of the night feeling nauseous. I ran to the bathroom and I had a terrible bout of diarrhea. I felt like I was just passing a fountain of water from my butt! Then my whole body went ice cold and I thought I was going to pass out on the loo, when suddenly I threw up violently for a few minutes. After that I felt fine. But I kept my stomach light the next day and kept myself hydrated with electrolytes and definitely stayed out of the sun.

Comment from: EmmaJulieStar, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I'm only a 15 year old, and I do marching band. Every summer my fellow band members and I march out in the heat, and we always have Popsicle breaks and water breaks, we even get into the water/sprinkler. But today, started this afternoon at 1:55 pm on 8/4/2011, I had my first heat stroke. I was so cold, but I was very hot on the outside and I did charts and marched, but it was very difficult and intense also, so I got really light headed, so I was like, that's nothing at all. Then I almost white out and so the staff told me to be in the garage with a fan. I didn't felt so well, so I thought maybe if I ate lunch I'll be better. But it only made it worse. I started to heat up more and I was very shaky and I started to cry when I get a stomach pain and such. At 5:45 pm, things got very much worse; I got a giant migraine, started to hyperventilate pretty fast and got very light headed that I couldn't see straight. I never learned to relax, but it was very scary, but the good thing is I never had to go to the hospital for it. If I did, I know my band fellows and staff would be very sad about it. Thank God I'm ok.

Comment from: Cathy S, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 03

I had a heat stroke 30 years ago at the age of 16. It was a very hot day at the park, after a while I started feeling weak and felt very dizzy. Next thing I knew I was waking up with alot of people around me. Luckly 2 ladies knew what to do. They carried me to a bathroom and put me on the cold floor and poured water on me. Still till this day I still get sick but I never get that sick because once the heat rises I stay inside. It puts a damper on things but I never want to feel that way again.

Comment from: heat dumb, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 30

I had heat stroke summer of 2005 here in Phoenix AZ we regularly see high temps and this day it was to be 112f. After along bike ride 45 miles or more I got dizzy on my bike and felt disoriented I of course had been drinking water all the way but I almost couldn't go on I kept having to stop. When I finally got home I got more water a shower to cool off and thought I'd be fine. Two hours later I wake up with a bad head ache and could not see straight. More water and straight up it came I could not hold down anything for the next 3 to 5 hours. The next day I still had a head ache and problem seeing and just felt terrible. I still wanted to eat but could barely hold down Gatorade. I stayed home for 5 days trying to get better but I could not think straight and was fatigued and still had the headache. It has been years and still ever summer I still feel the same things fatigued and can't stand to be in the heat for any time unless I want to go thru similar experiences. Fatigued and tired of this as I write. It is summer again 110f today.

Heat Stroke - Risk Question: If you or a relative had a heat stroke, were either of you at risk? If you are at risk, in what ways will you try to prevent an occurrence?
Heat Stroke - Treatment Question: Describe the medical treatment you received when you suffered a heat stroke.
Heat Stroke - Symptoms Question: If you, a relative, or friend had a heat stroke, what were the symptoms?
Heat Stroke - Experience Question: Please share your experience with heat stroke.