Patient Comments: Heat Stroke - Experience and Preventive

Question:Describe your experience with heat stroke, and could it have been prevented?

Comment from: Feeling crappy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

Well, l was told l have acute bronchitis and like the rest of you all over the board with what to take and what to do. I am losing sleep and getting frustrated. I have antibiotics and inhaler Robitussin (but not working fast enough for me). This really takes the punch out of your daily routine. I hope we all feel better soon.

Comment from: Jeritxam, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I was diagnosed with MS about 6 months ago. My husband and I went for a motorcycle ride. I had a beer and a glass of water. I was feeling ok. We headed back on the beltway when my stomach began cramping, I was sweating, could not speak an then all of a sudden the sweating ceased, I blacked out and could not move. Luckily, he got me to an air-conditioned area. It's been days and I am still vomiting, diarrhea and a slight headache and I still do not feel right. I am in bed taking good care of myself now. The MS flares when I get over heated. I must listen to my body!

Comment from: Annie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I was on holiday and had spent the whole day at the beach - swimming in the sea and tanning in the sun. I made quite a few serious mistakes that eventually led to my severe heat stroke. First I had two glasses of beer at the beach, then later that night at home even though I was feeling a bit flushed and hot; I felt ok and had a glass of wine with my friend. Within an hour I was delirious and felt very sick. I collapsed into a stupor like sleep and awoke in the middle of the night feeling nauseous. I ran to the bathroom and I had a terrible bout of diarrhea. I felt like I was just passing a fountain of water from my butt! Then my whole body went ice cold and I thought I was going to pass out on the loo, when suddenly I threw up violently for a few minutes. After that I felt fine. But I kept my stomach light the next day and kept myself hydrated with electrolytes and definitely stayed out of the sun.

Comment from: EmmaJulieStar, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I'm only a 15 year old, and I do marching band. Every summer my fellow band members and I march out in the heat, and we always have Popsicle breaks and water breaks, we even get into the water/sprinkler. But today, started this afternoon at 1:55 pm on 8/4/2011, I had my first heat stroke. I was so cold, but I was very hot on the outside and I did charts and marched, but it was very difficult and intense also, so I got really light headed, so I was like, that's nothing at all. Then I almost white out and so the staff told me to be in the garage with a fan. I didn't felt so well, so I thought maybe if I ate lunch I'll be better. But it only made it worse. I started to heat up more and I was very shaky and I started to cry when I get a stomach pain and such. At 5:45 pm, things got very much worse; I got a giant migraine, started to hyperventilate pretty fast and got very light headed that I couldn't see straight. I never learned to relax, but it was very scary, but the good thing is I never had to go to the hospital for it. If I did, I know my band fellows and staff would be very sad about it. Thank God I'm ok.

Comment from: Cathy S, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 03

I had a heat stroke 30 years ago at the age of 16. It was a very hot day at the park, after a while I started feeling weak and felt very dizzy. Next thing I knew I was waking up with alot of people around me. Luckly 2 ladies knew what to do. They carried me to a bathroom and put me on the cold floor and poured water on me. Still till this day I still get sick but I never get that sick because once the heat rises I stay inside. It puts a damper on things but I never want to feel that way again.

Comment from: vcob, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

After falling asleep in the sun for six hours in heat over 90 degrees, I awoke with a terrible headache and vomiting. I continued to have the headache and was sick to my stomach for three days. I went to my family doctor, and he said I had a heat stroke. He said to hydrate myself with Gatorade and eat plenty of salt to retain my water.

Comment from: Charlotte, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 05

On Sept 4th I attended an outside birthday party on an extremely hot day. I felt I was getting too hot but did not want to be a party pooper so I continued to remain outside with everyone else. After 3 or 4 hours, I could not take anymore and felt I was not even going to make it to my car but I did. After I turned on the A/c unit, I begin to feel water running down the left side of my face and when I wiped it, there was nothing there. To this day, I have this feeling all day every day. I do have a doctor appointment tomorrow to see what he says. I feel sure it was a heat stroke. I will never sit out in the sun for that long for any birthday party, even though it was my grandson's.

Comment from: Father in need, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 15

I have a broken tooth that got infected 2 days ago and now the left side of my face is swollen, my left eye is swollen shut. I need help, I already went to the emergency room and got antibiotics and pain killers and it is getting worse.

Heat Stroke - Risk Question: If you or a relative had a heat stroke, were either of you at risk? If you are at risk, in what ways will you try to prevent an occurrence?
Heat Stroke - Treatment Question: Describe the medical treatment you received when you suffered a heat stroke.
Heat Stroke - Symptoms Question: If you, a relative, or friend had a heat stroke, what were the symptoms?
Heat Stroke - Experience Question: Please share your experience with heat stroke.