Patient Comments: Heat Rash - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your heat rash?

Comment from: FutebolMan, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 21

I think I brought on a case on chronic hives (hives or heat rash lasting more than several weeks or reoccurring). I'm pretty sure I brought them on over the course of a month or so by playing soccer at an indoor place for hours where it was very hot inside. They start small and are intensely itchy and then they turn into weals, as they are called. The weals are raised skin and the small areas spread out like little mountain ranges. Then they can connect together. I believe firmly that as the skin gets really hot like when you play soccer or sports for too long, it can bring them on gradually long after the skin cools down. I guess the key is to not let your skin see too much heat or friction from clothing, which is almost impossible for most of us. Here's how I manage them for now. Cold showers, colder the better. I only use steroid and fragrance free soaps such as Aveeno oatmeal bars, etc. Eczema skin creams such as Aveeno or Neosporin do help with the itchy sensations. Cetaphil lotion is wonderful, fragrance free! All free and clear laundry detergent. Now, the prescriptions: prednisone did not help. I wouldn't take unless you absolutely had to. Triamcinolone topical steroid can help but do not get into the sun with this on your skin or you will erupt and want to die; true story. This steroid stays on your skin for a long time so be careful with it. Clobetasol is the strongest topical steroid apparently and it does seem to help break down the hives, but it's not miracle and I am not sure if this is worth using. You definitely don't want to use this while exposed to heat or sun or you could have adverse reactions. Get blood work done and watch your diet for allergic reactions. That's what I am doing now to rule out more serious health threats.

Comment from: misty, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I get heat rash under my breasts and crevices of my upper legs near the groin. I clean the areas and then apply dry corn starch, 2 days and it"s gone.

Comment from: Coconut, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I was watching a movie on my iPad when I burned the beans. I didn't notice the smoke! I turned off the stove, turned on fans, opened doors, and crawled out to the porch. I am 89 and I live alone. Always put the timer on when cooking, and be sure your smoke alarm has a fresh battery. Mine didn't, but it does now.

Comment from: Marci, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

Living in Spain, I seem to get heat rash under my breasts every year. I am a 36GG and it is hard to keep cool under there, I only wear cotton non-underwired bras, and wash at least 2 or 3 times a day. I have been prescribed various creams over the years, Canasten, Sudocrem and the latest is Batmen a cortisone based one. I used it twice a day for 10 days and it cleared up, then I got hot and it came back worse than ever.

Comment from: jim, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 18

Red rash on upper inner section of thigh near groin area. Also discoloration of "over lapping" stomach that is constant contact with the leg portion. If sitting causes pressure on lower stomach and results are new red marks that later turn a form of black and blue appearance. Sometimes can be painful.

Heat Rash - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with heat rash.
Heat Rash - Treatment Question: What was your heat rash treatment?
Heat Rash - Home Remedies Question: What home remedies have you tried for a heat rash?
Heat Rash - Causes Question: What are the triggers or causes of heat rash for you, a relative, or friend?