Patient Comments: Heat Rash - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with heat rash.

Comment from: Sunny in AZ, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

My boyfriend suggested using cornstarch on my heat rash (under breasts), and I was wonderfully surprised to find that it took away the pain instantly. The affected areas were noticeably less red by morning.

Comment from: Louise, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I almost always get heat rash when I go on holiday somewhere hot. I've found that a way of preventing it is to take anti-allergy pills before I go. Also, it gets a lot worse if I've been drinking alcohol, and if I don't take breaks from lying in the sun to sit somewhere cooler. The worst it's ever been is when I used tanning oil, so I won't be using that again.

Comment from: amh, 13-18 Female Published: April 03

I just recently got a heat rash from tanning. It was in between my boobs, and at first, it just looked like a sunburn. Then I realized there were bumps, and it was itchy. It's weird though, because I wasn't really sweating a lot when I was tanning.

Comment from: Dexter, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 15

I have a couple of spots where I've had a constant heat rash. For a long time, it was just under my stomach, so I assumed it was my allergy toward metal on my belt buckle. But I'm getting two spots on my shoulders where it meets the neck. I've used cortisone cream that seemed as if it helped, but I worry this might make it worse.

Comment from: sr, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 24

I have very sensitive skin especially in areas where heat rash can take hold. Prevention is the key. I find that A&D diaper rash ointment works the best. Sounds funny but it is a skin protectant. Apply a small amount to areas that are a concern before exposure.

Comment from: Sanje, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I had a radical hysterectomy performed at the end of May. Four weeks later I started developing a rash. I thought it may be an infection and went to see my doctor, but it is heat rash. Because of the summer heat and hormonal changes it is easier to develop this condition. Ladies beware. I tried hydrocortisone and Benadryl but I believe they made it worse by blocking the pores. Aveeno soap and water, air dry and cold compress worked the best!

Comment from: J, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: July 06

Something I discovered is to limit the amount of deodorant you use in extreme heat. Deodorants are usually antiperspirants, something you do not want when you're outside in 90+ heat, especially for long periods of time. The underarms are a major area of sweat to reduce your body temperature and if this area is blocked by an antiperspirant then you can get a wicked heat rash in this area and even across the rest of your body as the excess heat diffuses across your body. Tolerate the smell or use some other way to kill the odor.

Comment from: Wheely cool, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I am a wheelchair user with limited arm movement. The current UK heat wave has given me four separate areas of heat rash, the worst of which is on the top of my left thigh, where I rest my left arm. I have been applying an all-purpose rash cream (Sudocrem) and would not recommend it; it does nothing! One method which instantly reduces the itching is to put wet wipes in the fridge and wipe the rash whenever it gets too much, gently patting dry afterwards.

Comment from: SlouiseW, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

At the minute I have heat rash on my fingers, palm of my hands, stomach, legs, and wrists. I am extremely itchy and irritated and it isn't pleasant at all. I've taken cold showers and cold baths and it still hasn't gone I've had it for 4 days now and I just can't seem to get rid of it.

Heat Rash - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your heat rash?
Heat Rash - Treatment Question: What was your heat rash treatment?
Heat Rash - Home Remedies Question: What home remedies have you tried for a heat rash?
Heat Rash - Causes Question: What are the triggers or causes of heat rash for you, a relative, or friend?