Patient Comments: Heat Rash - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with heat rash.

Comment from: aerona, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 17

I work in Japan and in the summer months the humidity is high and it is very hot. I develop a heat rash on the insides of both forearms every summer and it is dreadfully uncomfortable and itchy and sometimes even painful, like hundreds of little open wounds. There seems to be no relief from this other than trying to keep my arms cool and sweat-free (impossible most of the time!). Strangely, it is far more severe on my right arm which has a rather large scar down the length of it. Only relief is taking a really hot stream of water in the shower and blasting the affected area to stop the itching, which I have to do most nights to prevent my sleep being disturbed. It is quite an annoying affliction and I look forward to the winter months when it disappears almost completely.

Comment from: pink102938, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I've had had this heat rash since I was about 8-9 years old, and it first started on my back then my face, lips, neck, hands, arms, chest and anywhere that my skin has been exposed out in the sun for a little too long (30 minutes and up). I also found out that whenever I put on any type of sunscreen or chapstick on, the rash appears even if I haven't been in the sun! I usually have to go outside and it is summer so it's hard for me to avoid this heat rash.

Comment from: irritant free, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

I have found that dove stick deodorant/antiperspirant in sensitive skin formula (although I am sure any would work not just dove) rolled over areas that are prone to heat rash will almost always eliminate the sweat causing skin irritation. A friend told me about this and I tried it, it is my new favorite quick fix for those terribly hot days especially if you have to be out.

Comment from: spaz, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 26

Well I'm in Iraq and I have been over here quite a few times and never had it like I have it now. I am one that is really self conscious about the way I look. I am always in the gym. Anyhow; i have it, well I think I do in the groin area a little and on the butt bad. I'm a mechanic and I'm always sitting on a tire or lying down. I wear coveralls and I sweat terribly. I am hydrated I drink many bottles of water a day. I have some on my feet and know its not athletes foot it doesn't burn, itch, or smell and now it's going down my legs. I hate it, anyone have any idea what I can do to help? I work 12 to 14 hours a day in the 120, 130 temps in coveralls.

Comment from: Sunny in AZ, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

My boyfriend suggested using cornstarch on my heat rash (under breasts), and I was wonderfully surprised to find that it took away the pain instantly. The affected areas were noticeably less red by morning.

Comment from: Louise, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I almost always get heat rash when I go on holiday somewhere hot. I've found that a way of preventing it is to take anti-allergy pills before I go. Also, it gets a lot worse if I've been drinking alcohol, and if I don't take breaks from lying in the sun to sit somewhere cooler. The worst it's ever been is when I used tanning oil, so I won't be using that again.

Comment from: amh, 13-18 Female Published: April 03

I just recently got a heat rash from tanning. It was in between my boobs, and at first, it just looked like a sunburn. Then I realized there were bumps, and it was itchy. It's weird though, because I wasn't really sweating a lot when I was tanning.

Comment from: Dexter, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 15

I have a couple of spots where I've had a constant heat rash. For a long time, it was just under my stomach, so I assumed it was my allergy toward metal on my belt buckle. But I'm getting two spots on my shoulders where it meets the neck. I've used cortisone cream that seemed as if it helped, but I worry this might make it worse.

Heat Rash - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your heat rash?
Heat Rash - Treatment Question: What was your heat rash treatment?
Heat Rash - Home Remedies Question: What home remedies have you tried for a heat rash?
Heat Rash - Causes Question: What are the triggers or causes of heat rash for you, a relative, or friend?