Patient Comments: Heat Rash - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with heat rash.

Comment from: TeriInOhio, Female (Patient) Published: May 04

I am very fair skinned and recently came back from a 7 day trip to Disney World in Florida. On my 4th day of being in the sun, I noticed numerous raised bumps on my arms and upper legs they itched terribly and I thought I got into some poison ivy or something. It got so bad on my 5th day to Disney, I stopped at the First Aid booth and asked for something to put on it. She said she wasn't sure what it was, but maybe heat rash. I have never had that before. I did get a lot of sun and was sunburned. It won't go away. I read, I should not put lotion on the infected area I have been doing that for the past two days. Does anyone know if the bumps break open, will it spread? I worry about spreading it to other places.

Comment from: aerona, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 17

I work in Japan and in the summer months the humidity is high and it is very hot. I develop a heat rash on the insides of both forearms every summer and it is dreadfully uncomfortable and itchy and sometimes even painful, like hundreds of little open wounds. There seems to be no relief from this other than trying to keep my arms cool and sweat-free (impossible most of the time!). Strangely, it is far more severe on my right arm which has a rather large scar down the length of it. Only relief is taking a really hot stream of water in the shower and blasting the affected area to stop the itching, which I have to do most nights to prevent my sleep being disturbed. It is quite an annoying affliction and I look forward to the winter months when it disappears almost completely.

Comment from: sherodee, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 08

I just noticed yesterday morning that I have a couple of bumps on my right arm. Then in the middle of the night, it started spreading all down my arm. It is just on my right arm – they kind of look like tiny little blisters. I don't have itching, or prickly heat. I'm wondering if it's because I have a sunburn on my arm.

Comment from: Hot spot, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 16

I got a terrible rash last July. I live in Texas and go fishing in humid areas on the coast, along with running in the heat. My rash would not go away until my dermatologist had me do a steroid pack and steroid ointment. It was brutally painful and spread everywhere on my arms and torso. I get it now on my abdomen whenever I run. Removing my shirt and showering as soon as possible help. Also, I'm going to try some exfoliation or loofa scrubbing as I heard that it can be caused by clogged sweat glands. I think if I drink more water that may help too.

Comment from: pink102938, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I've had had this heat rash since I was about 8-9 years old, and it first started on my back then my face, lips, neck, hands, arms, chest and anywhere that my skin has been exposed out in the sun for a little too long (30 minutes and up). I also found out that whenever I put on any type of sunscreen or chapstick on, the rash appears even if I haven't been in the sun! I usually have to go outside and it is summer so it's hard for me to avoid this heat rash.

Comment from: irritant free, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

I have found that dove stick deodorant/antiperspirant in sensitive skin formula (although I am sure any would work not just dove) rolled over areas that are prone to heat rash will almost always eliminate the sweat causing skin irritation. A friend told me about this and I tried it, it is my new favorite quick fix for those terribly hot days especially if you have to be out.

Comment from: spaz, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 26

Well I'm in Iraq and I have been over here quite a few times and never had it like I have it now. I am one that is really self conscious about the way I look. I am always in the gym. Anyhow; i have it, well I think I do in the groin area a little and on the butt bad. I'm a mechanic and I'm always sitting on a tire or lying down. I wear coveralls and I sweat terribly. I am hydrated I drink many bottles of water a day. I have some on my feet and know its not athletes foot it doesn't burn, itch, or smell and now it's going down my legs. I hate it, anyone have any idea what I can do to help? I work 12 to 14 hours a day in the 120, 130 temps in coveralls.

Heat Rash - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your heat rash?
Heat Rash - Treatment Question: What was your heat rash treatment?
Heat Rash - Home Remedies Question: What home remedies have you tried for a heat rash?
Heat Rash - Causes Question: What are the triggers or causes of heat rash for you, a relative, or friend?