Patient Comments: Heat Rash - Treatment

What was your heat rash treatment?

Comment from: JB, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

I've suffered from prickly heat for 30 years, but only if going out in the sun/heat for long periods, e.g. on holiday. I tried many over the counter remedies for the heat rash but nothing worked and holidays were miserable. Finally just prior to a 3 week holiday in a hot country about 15 years ago I sought advice from my new general physician. He too was a prickly heat sufferer and the only thing he had found to help him was prednisolone (prescription steroid pills). I took them as directed and stayed off alcohol. I didn't get prickly heat! It is a drastic remedy and steroids can only be taken for a very short term as they have side effects, but if you only get prickly heat on holiday to a hot country every few years like me, it is worth it.

Comment from: Shaz, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I get heat rash when it gets hot especially if I am outdoor. I usually apply cortisone and it helps, but last night I ran out so I cut a potato in half and applied over my rash. After a couple of minutes, the tingling sensation reduced and I felt better. Give it a try, it really worked.

Comment from: Kleez, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 05

I have horrible heat rash. It used to appear only when I got too hot during football practice, but now I get it just trying to work out, not having to break a sweat. It appears everywhere from my face on down. If it gets too serious my rash fades away but my torso has a weird appearance afterwards. I really need help because pills don't work. I'm 16 and trying to stay in shape.

Comment from: Robin35, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 23

Table salt dissolved in bath water. About a cup. Soak n then air dry. Works wonderfully

Comment from: Anne B, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 09

I tried many creams, powders, tea tree oil, aloe vera from the living plant, others and nothing seemed to work. I have read many helpful hints for this problem. Here is what seemed to help me. I am putting ice packs on the rash area for 20 minutes twice daily. I have been showering in cool water twice daily. I have been using an antibacterial drying soap on the area to wash. I have been using cotton towels in the area to soak up any sweat, especially while sleeping. I have been trying to eat healthier, fresh fruits and vegetables, cutting down the intake of sugar. Over the counter Cortizone cream might help alleviate pain and itch. I wanted to offer any help I could in helping anyone else with a heat rash.

Comment from: Twin mom+one, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 25

I treated my daughter's heat rash with hydrocortisone cream and Lanacane spray. It helped a little bit, but she was still itchy.

Comment from: Cands, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 08

I am 24 and a real sun baby; I love tanning! Unfortunately though, I started breaking out with heat rash in my late teens every time I would lie in the sun. It would almost ruin holidays as I would have to rush from the beach to the nearest chemist to get relief, and as we know after it broke out, I wasn't allowed in the sun a week after that. The outbreaks have gotten worse; it seems I can't be in the sun in my bathing suit for more than 20 minutes without me experiencing heat rash. I will get breakouts on my chest, stomach and upper thighs. I have tried over-the-counter remedies, but nothing helped as I desperately needed it to. The only relief at the moment is that I first take a cold bath and lay there to cool down. I then take hand towels and wet them with cold water and lay them over my body. I lay with them on me under a fan. This helps to cool the rash down and it helps me sleep at night. I do however hope for a really good over-the-counter remedy to be invented for people like us that suffer from this horrible condition!

Heat Rash - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with heat rash.
Heat Rash - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your heat rash?
Heat Rash - Home Remedies Question: What home remedies have you tried for a heat rash?
Heat Rash - Causes Question: What are the triggers or causes of heat rash for you, a relative, or friend?