Patient Comments: Heat Exhaustion - Treatments

What treatment did you receive for your heat exhaustion?

Comment from: Helping Hand, 45-54 Female Published: July 18

I was on a bike trip through Vermont. The temperature was in the 100's that week. As I was approaching the campground one afternoon, I suddenly became, shaky, nauseated and I could barely pedal my bike. As soon as we got to the campground, a co-rider sat me down under a shade tree next to the river, wet his bandana and applied it to my neck and forehead and got me some cool water to drink. I started to feel better after about 15 minutes in the shade.

Comment from: aannyoakley, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

Remember cool water, not ice water helps to cool you down and hydrate you better.

Comment from: niko, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 21

I have had heat exhaustion episodes ever since I was a kid, if the sun is shining on me too long. It begins with a headache, then I start sweating really bad, and the headache gets worse. Sometimes I get dizzy and can't even open my eyes or walk. Many times I am on the verge of passing out. Water never ever works for me. I usually have to lay down sprawled out because at this point I stop sweating. I have to sleep it off for many hours. Sometimes I wake and the headache is still lightly there. The only drink that I have in my trunk or in my freezer during summer months is Gatorade. I can't even bike ride when the sun is up. I am now 35 and my first occurrence was when I was 8.

Comment from: ddferrari, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 21

While outside quite a bit on an extremely hot and humid day, I started to feel light headed and out of breath. I went inside a well air conditioned house and sat down. I was sweating profusely and was dizzy and nauseated. I had trouble talking, like it required too much energy. I ended up squatting on the floor- that seemed to help with the dizziness and nausea. I was able to drink a few glasses of cold water, and was able to stand up without feeling faint after the third try.

Comment from: Vvirginia Bear, 55-64 (Patient) Published: June 22

One Fourth of July, I was sitting in a park early afternoon, and did not realize that I was dehydrated. I came home about an hour later and that is when the symptoms began to occur. A severe headache which was followed by wrenching diarhhea and vomitting for the next three hours. I thought I was going to die. I forced myself to drink even though I was constantly vommitting it up or eliminating it. I believe I would have had a seizure had I not forced myself to drink. The funny thing is, I don't even remember feeling thirsty! The scariest think was that my body's thermostat had seemed to go awry. One moment I was warm and hot and the next moment my body was shaking in chills. Not being to control my body temperature was unbelievably scary. I had really never experienced anything like it in my life. I believe a person could die from something like this. As a result, I am very careful, now, to always consider where I will be, beforehand, and to take along something to drink if I am going to be in a place that's hot and there will be no access to water.

Heat Exhaustion - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your heat exhaustion?
Heat Exhaustion - Causes Question: If you or someone you know has experienced heat exhaustion, what do you feel was the cause?
Heat Exhaustion - Medical Care Question: If you experienced heat exhaustion, what type of medical care did you receive? What were your main symptoms?
Heat Exhaustion - Complications Question: What were the complications of heat exhaustion experienced by you or someone you know?