Patient Comments: Heat Exhaustion - Treatments

What treatment did you receive for your heat exhaustion?

Comment from: heat exhaustion, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 02

My heat exhaustion was 3 days ago doing poop patrol. I started profuse sweating, dripping off my face, dizzy and feeling like the instant flu. I started vomiting in the kitchen sink, came into the living room, and then the gush of vomit came into a towel! After that my muscles hurt, I had head ache, and I went to bed after drinking some Coke! Heat gets to 120 degrees at the Salton Sea in southern California, we are 100 feet above sea level! Hottest place on American soil!

Comment from: Helping Hand, 45-54 Female Published: July 18

I was on a bike trip through Vermont. The temperature was in the 100's that week. As I was approaching the campground one afternoon, I suddenly became, shaky, nauseated and I could barely pedal my bike. As soon as we got to the campground, a co-rider sat me down under a shade tree next to the river, wet his bandana and applied it to my neck and forehead and got me some cool water to drink. I started to feel better after about 15 minutes in the shade.

Comment from: aannyoakley, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

Remember cool water, not ice water helps to cool you down and hydrate you better.

Comment from: niko, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 21

I have had heat exhaustion episodes ever since I was a kid, if the sun is shining on me too long. It begins with a headache, then I start sweating really bad, and the headache gets worse. Sometimes I get dizzy and can't even open my eyes or walk. Many times I am on the verge of passing out. Water never ever works for me. I usually have to lay down sprawled out because at this point I stop sweating. I have to sleep it off for many hours. Sometimes I wake and the headache is still lightly there. The only drink that I have in my trunk or in my freezer during summer months is Gatorade. I can't even bike ride when the sun is up. I am now 35 and my first occurrence was when I was 8.

Comment from: ddferrari, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 21

While outside quite a bit on an extremely hot and humid day, I started to feel light headed and out of breath. I went inside a well air conditioned house and sat down. I was sweating profusely and was dizzy and nauseated. I had trouble talking, like it required too much energy. I ended up squatting on the floor- that seemed to help with the dizziness and nausea. I was able to drink a few glasses of cold water, and was able to stand up without feeling faint after the third try.

Heat Exhaustion - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your heat exhaustion?
Heat Exhaustion - Causes Question: If you or someone you know has experienced heat exhaustion, what do you feel was the cause?
Heat Exhaustion - Medical Care Question: Please share your experience with heat exhaustion.
Heat Exhaustion - Complications Question: What were the complications of heat exhaustion experienced by you or someone you know?