Patient Comments: Heat Exhaustion - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your heat exhaustion?

Comment from: Amanda, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

Two years ago I was at an air show. It was a hot day in August and both the main attraction and the sun were out in full force. I was standing looking through my camera with it focused toward the sky. I realized that I was starting to feel dizzy and had to take a seat. My fiancé asked me if I was sweating, and I realized for the first time that I wasn't - even though it was hot and humid out, with the sun beating down on us. I was also trying to avoid drinking water so that I wouldn't have to use the bathroom on the ride home; turns out that was a bad idea! I'd rather stop at a bathroom at the way home than risk making myself sick from not enough water on a hot day.

Comment from: red, 65-74 Male Published: January 06

I am 65. My wife and I walked the Sweetwater to Wasson Peak route yesterday, 1/1/12. It was an 80 degree cloudless winter day in Tucson. It is a 9.2 mile hike over extremely rugged rocky terrain. Every step has to be measured or else one could fall on rocks or cactus. It was about a 2000 foot rise. I brought along a camelback filled with water but unfortunately I didn't drink enough for the 5 hour and 20 minute hike. Today I am quite sick, my head is swimming and I am weak. I think it is heat exhaustion. The rule is that one must drink. I probably only consumed about 16 ounces of water while I should have consumed about 4x that much.

Comment from: Shari, 45-54 Female Published: June 07

I experienced heat exhaustion while at an air show. I drank three or four bottles of water but didn't need to use the bathroom. Although we were just sitting and watching the action, I had a headache and felt fatigued and lightheaded. When we got back to our hotel room, I cranked the air conditioning up as high as it could go, applied a cold washcloth to my head and slept for about half an hour. I felt much better but was still tired for the rest of the evening.

Comment from: Painter, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 19

I was painting a friend's home during a hot day. I was drinking water, but apparently not enough. My symptoms started as: dizziness and being overheated, fatigue, chills. Then muscular pain and headaches. Take this as a lesson learned...never do activities for a long time in the heat without taking breaks and hydrating. Not worth it. I never want to have heat exhaustion again.

Comment from: Sumilex, 35-44 Female Published: July 17

I work in a pizza shop, which by nature is a warm environment with ovens going constantly. Recently our area has experienced a heat wave. With the additional heat outside, and the sun shining in the front of the store, the temperature inside ranged from 91F to 98F. I worked a 14 hour shift in these conditions. It was busy so I was moving the whole time. I did consume a full gallon of water, which is a little more than usual. Unfortunately it was not enough. I was so very exhausted by the end of the night that I could barely stand. I had sweated quite a lot over the dinner rush. I usually work a long shift like that once a week so I was used to that. When I got home, I tried to cool off with a shower. It was not enough. I vomited several times over the next several hours. I couldn't tell if I was hot or cold, as now I was sitting in air conditioning. I have no other explanation for my symptoms other than the extended time in the heat. The following day I was still very weak and sensitive to being in the heat.

Comment from: mark, 55-64 Male Published: May 29

I was playing golf yesterday, and after nine holes felt really tired. It was hot all day and I could barely stand up. I could barely hold my head up on my shoulders. My hands were cramping and drawing up as well as my toes. I also had back cramps and felt like I was going to pass out. Even though it was a pretty sunny day, the clouds looked dark like it was overcast. It took a long time to cool down. I still feel ill and and am cramping after the next day. I'm not sure what happened to me. I have had this happen to me two or three times before – and all I'm really doing is riding in a cart and hardly exerting myself.

Heat Exhaustion - Treatments Question: What treatment did you receive for your heat exhaustion?
Heat Exhaustion - Causes Question: If you or someone you know has experienced heat exhaustion, what do you feel was the cause?
Heat Exhaustion - Medical Care Question: If you experienced heat exhaustion, what type of medical care did you receive? What were your main symptoms?
Heat Exhaustion - Complications Question: What were the complications of heat exhaustion experienced by you or someone you know?