Patient Comments: Heat Exhaustion - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your heat exhaustion?

Comment from: Pat in Michigan, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: November 20

The shingles started out with a sunburn-like feeling on the right side of my neck, and by that evening I had two blisters on the back of my neck. By the next morning I had a 2 inch patch, and by that evening two more patches. By the next morning another patch with a few blisters here and there. I'm now in the 4th day and getting some stabbing pains up the back of my skull.

Comment from: summertwin, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

My pain is primarily in my mid to lower back, right side mostly. It feels like a pulled muscle when I twist or move wrong. I am super fatigued, nauseous but no vomiting, slight fever, chills, and random sharp pains in my back, but I caught this kidney infection early. I had one that hospitalized me, I waited too long before getting treated. That was about 23 years ago. I was so sick, never again will I wait! You only get one set of kidneys, so got to save them!

Comment from: Ans, 55-64 Male Published: July 21

I am 18 years old. A month and a half before I was getting ready to graduate my mama was diagnosed with cirrhosis of the liver. She's an alcoholic and her daily drinking was the cause of it. Her skin was yellow, the whites of her eyes were olive green, and she looked 9 months pregnant. She was given the expectation to live a month. She has 3 kids, me, a 12 year old, and a 6 year old. In a fight to live she stayed 5 days in the hospital in detox. She then went to rehabilitation for a month and a half. She got out 3 days before me graduation. She's now out and has been sober for a little over 3 months. When she reaches 6 months of sobriety she'll then be on a liver transplant list. Her skin, eye color, and belly has returned to normal. I'm lucky to have her. She's a living miracle at this point. The doctors are amazed at her health. We continue to hope for not only her health but her strength and sobriety because one more sip will kill her. This disease is curable. The patient must be willing to fight for their life!

Comment from: Nick, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 31

On the first day of a 100 mile backpacking trip in Maine on the Appalachian Trail I had a severe case of heat exhaustion resulting in muscle cramping from head to toe. Had it not been for my friend's electrolyte tablets I may have been in real bad shape. Since that day in late August I haven't been right; chronic nausea, pinched nerve resulting in leg numbness and back pain, and high blood pressure. Several missed days of work also. I'm wondering if anyone else has had similar chronic effects after heat exhaustion.

Comment from: Amanda, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

Two years ago I was at an air show. It was a hot day in August and both the main attraction and the sun were out in full force. I was standing looking through my camera with it focused toward the sky. I realized that I was starting to feel dizzy and had to take a seat. My fiancé asked me if I was sweating, and I realized for the first time that I wasn't - even though it was hot and humid out, with the sun beating down on us. I was also trying to avoid drinking water so that I wouldn't have to use the bathroom on the ride home; turns out that was a bad idea! I'd rather stop at a bathroom at the way home than risk making myself sick from not enough water on a hot day.

Comment from: red, 65-74 Male Published: January 06

I am 65. My wife and I walked the Sweetwater to Wasson Peak route yesterday, 1/1/12. It was an 80 degree cloudless winter day in Tucson. It is a 9.2 mile hike over extremely rugged rocky terrain. Every step has to be measured or else one could fall on rocks or cactus. It was about a 2000 foot rise. I brought along a camelback filled with water but unfortunately I didn't drink enough for the 5 hour and 20 minute hike. Today I am quite sick, my head is swimming and I am weak. I think it is heat exhaustion. The rule is that one must drink. I probably only consumed about 16 ounces of water while I should have consumed about 4x that much.

Heat Exhaustion - Treatments Question: What treatment did you receive for your heat exhaustion?
Heat Exhaustion - Causes Question: If you or someone you know has experienced heat exhaustion, what do you feel was the cause?
Heat Exhaustion - Medical Care Question: Please share your experience with heat exhaustion.
Heat Exhaustion - Complications Question: What were the complications of heat exhaustion experienced by you or someone you know?