Patient Comments: Heat Exhaustion - Symptoms

What were your the symptoms of heat exhaustion?

Comment from: Yoyo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

I first had a swollen ankle. The feeling was like I sprained it. I thought on my activities and the only thing I could think of was, I cleaned the house and I sometimes use my foot to clean the floor. It was painful for about 3 weeks and I was not able to walk normal, but with a limp. I noticed that when I was massaging the foot, the ankle is not where the pain is but on the shin. Now, I'm recently getting a shooting pain on the right side of my leg. It happens quickly and goes away quickly also but it occurs maybe 5 times a day.

Comment from: Al, Male (Patient) Published: June 14

I was working on my sailboat in the hot sun and it was in the 90s. All of a sudden my voluntary muscles got very weak and I realized it was heat exhaustion and I was going to collapse on deck all alone. I immediately jumped right over the side to cool off and got my strength back but it was a close call.

Comment from: Patti, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

I was diagnosed with stage 1 emphysema in 2010. Not sure how long I had it before being diagnosed. I am now in stage 2, and losing my breath quite easily even when doing housework, and I have to walk my dogs slowly. I sometimes have chest pains and tightening like I'm wearing my bra too tight, when I don't even have one on. I was doing fine while exercising and riding my bike, but have stopped doing both. I keep saying I'm going to start again, but sometimes wonder what the use is. I don't understand why they haven't done more studies on emphysema, plenty of people die from it. I guess I'm afraid of the death, as I've heard it isn't pretty. But I try not to think about it. I did this to myself by smoking for nearly 40 years, but I did quit the very day I was diagnosed, with the help of e-cigarettes. Don't start smoking, young people and if you have, stop!

Comment from: Courtney, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

With infectious mononucleosis I had swollen lymph nodes, swollen tonsils, a swollen liver, muscle aches, fatigue, muscle weakness, joint pain, a fever, and headaches. Lots of fun.

Comment from: Breathless, 25-34 Female Published: January 05

For years I was treated for asthma. Every time the pulmonologist tested and said no asthma. Two years ago my general physician decided to do a blood test and found an abnormally high red cell count. I have been having phlebotomy every 6 months and it helps with the polycythemia. Tiredness, shortness of breath, joint pain, and blurry vision all but disappeared. Now I am experiencing sharp pains in legs and symptoms are returning. Count from recent test at 17.9. I wonder if there is no cure for this.

Comment from: carrollmac345, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 30

I get palpitations after drinking water and eating a cracker, plus I have low blood sugar. I have never smoked in my life, I do not drink and don't take drugs. My neighbors smoke and I have COPD with exacerbation and hypoxemia.

Heat Exhaustion - First Aid Treatment Question: What treatment did you receive for heat exhaustion?
Heat Exhaustion - Causes Question: If you or someone you know has experienced heat exhaustion, what do you feel was the cause?
Heat Exhaustion - Medical Care Question: Please share your experience with heat exhaustion.
Heat Exhaustion - Complications Question: What were the complications of heat exhaustion experienced by you or someone you know?