Patient Comments: Heat Exhaustion - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your heat exhaustion?

Comment from: angeleyes46, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

Heat exhaustion can happen even when swimming! The heat index was 107 degrees, drank plenty of rehydrating fluids, but wasn't enough. I was sweating then it stopped, I was dizzy, muscle cramps, severe headache, and lethargic. It took three days to recover; I may have been close to a heat stroke. Be careful even when swimming!

Comment from: Delores, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

Panting, no sweat. Red faced, stopped talking mid sentence. Walked one direction then sidestepped to the right until I fell and blacked out for a few minutes. Don't remember a few minutes while I was on the ground. Just Hot! Came home to take a cold bath. Took three cold baths to cool down. Then headache and exhausted. (I am talking Clonsazapam for and anti-anxiety med.)

Comment from: cyclistat60, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I went cycling on Saturday (very hot and humid) but drank enough fluids so that I only felt tired that day. Had a margarita that night but apparently didn't drink enough water and juices with potassium etc. to rehydrate because the next day I was dizzy and felt exhausted. I had had an earlier bout a couple of weeks before with vertigo and vomiting, hot and cold chills, so was apparently more vulnerable.

Comment from: uriasfamilypc1, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

Along with all the symptoms you described, I was unable to think clearly or speak clearly. My temperature was 101 degrees. I think I was heading for heat stroke honestly. Thank GOD I was able to get out of the heat fast!

Comment from: Lori, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I'm guessing that I had heat exhaustion. It was very hot in my house, outside temps were approximately 90 degrees. We couldn't afford to turn the Air Conditioning on so early in the season, so we had the windows open and a bunch of fans on. We were having dinner and suddenly I got a headache, I was having trouble swallowing, I became achy all over, I thought I was going to pass out and my heart began to race. I suddenly had diarrhea. When I got up from the table, I was very weak and walked slowly to the bathroom, holding onto furniture as I went. After the bathroom, I took an ice pack from the freezer, a wet wash cloth for my forehead and face and I turned a fan on blowing directly on me as I laid down on the bed. After an hour, I began to feel better but my heart didn't stop racing until another hour passed. After those 2 hours, I was able to get up and walk around. I felt very tired. I remained achy all over and had foot cramps for the entire night, allowing me only to get about 2 hours sleep total.

Comment from: kkelly, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

I was at an outdoor fair and and was dehydrated when I had heat exhaustion. While I was standing in line to buy a drink--water or diet Coke, I began feeling dizzy, light-headed, had stomach cramps, became extremely irritable. The man selling the drinks asked if I was okay and I replied, "I don't think so". He, then, began giving me several glasses of water. My sister later said the the middle of my face was very red in a circle and the outside of my face was very pale. I recovered slowly and was still not well in the evening.

Comment from: admiralgreybeard, 55-64 Male Published: May 03

After working on my allotment in the sun for approx 8 hours. I experienced extreme tiredness, aching, muscle cramps, headache for 30 hours, and pains in my stomach similar to severe indigestion, lack of appetite and even not wanting to drink liquids(although I forced myself).This has lasted for nearly two days.

Heat Exhaustion - Treatments Question: What treatment did you receive for your heat exhaustion?
Heat Exhaustion - Causes Question: If you or someone you know has experienced heat exhaustion, what do you feel was the cause?
Heat Exhaustion - Medical Care Question: Please share your experience with heat exhaustion.
Heat Exhaustion - Complications Question: What were the complications of heat exhaustion experienced by you or someone you know?