Patient Comments: Heat Exhaustion - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your heat exhaustion?

Comment from: kkelly, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

I was at an outdoor fair and and was dehydrated when I had heat exhaustion. While I was standing in line to buy a drink--water or diet Coke, I began feeling dizzy, light-headed, had stomach cramps, became extremely irritable. The man selling the drinks asked if I was okay and I replied, "I don't think so". He, then, began giving me several glasses of water. My sister later said the the middle of my face was very red in a circle and the outside of my face was very pale. I recovered slowly and was still not well in the evening.

Comment from: admiralgreybeard, 55-64 Male Published: May 03

After working on my allotment in the sun for approx 8 hours. I experienced extreme tiredness, aching, muscle cramps, headache for 30 hours, and pains in my stomach similar to severe indigestion, lack of appetite and even not wanting to drink liquids(although I forced myself).This has lasted for nearly two days.

Comment from: David, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: May 21

When I had heat exhaustion I got cottonmouth and was very thirsty. I started to get a bad headache in the back of my head and felt tired. When I got home I drank three bottles of water and rested. I wasn't back to normal until the next morning.

Comment from: marathonnoob, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 07

After running a mid-day 8-miler on a warm (but not hot) day, I did my usual recovery routine. Rehydrating (sports drink and water), protein powder, sit and rest for half an hour. I felt slightly nauseated, so I held off on eating for a couple hours. Two hours later, I was experiencing chills, cold sweats, body aches, and a headache, along with mild nausea. This progressively got worse, until I was sure I had heat exhaustion and tried to take a cold shower (try that when you're shaking from chills, eek!). I got more nauseated and lethargic as the night wore on (this was about 8 hours later). My poor girlfriend had to witness me vomiting uncontrollably as I made my way to my apartment door to let her in. After that, I seemed to turn around a bit. I drank water as much as I could through the night, and the next morning, started reintroducing food (crackers). I write this around noon the following day, and while I feel like I have a bad hangover, the worst is over.

Comment from: Mart, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 23

I took a long hike in hot Sarasota. I had lunch in an air-conditioned restaurant and drank a glass of water. After lunch I continued the hike, ending in a historical building which also had AC on but not very cool. While standing still, listening to a presentation, I felt faint, nauseated, and very hot! I got out of the crowd, and layed down on the sidewalk in the shade with my feet elevated. My head didn't hurt, but I had terrible abdominal cramping! I recovered after water, cooling off in the AC, and sitting down for a while.

Heat Exhaustion - Treatments Question: What treatment did you receive for your heat exhaustion?
Heat Exhaustion - Causes Question: If you or someone you know has experienced heat exhaustion, what do you feel was the cause?
Heat Exhaustion - Medical Care Question: If you experienced heat exhaustion, what type of medical care did you receive? What were your main symptoms?
Heat Exhaustion - Complications Question: What were the complications of heat exhaustion experienced by you or someone you know?