Patient Comments: Heat Exhaustion - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your heat exhaustion?

Comment from: Monica_Taylor, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 07

When my daughter had heat exhaustion, she felt weak and nauseated. She felt as if she were going to faint. She developed white round, scaly patches on her cheeks.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

I am not sure if I should be checked out or not. I don't have insurance so I hesitate. I finished mowing the yard almost half an hour ago. When I finished I was very weak and my legs hurt. I am not very physically fit, so it took me two hours to cut the yard. Now I'm feeling extremely nauseated. Have been drinking a lot of water. Not sure if the heat got to me or what. The sun was beating down pretty hard and it is already 84 degrees here.

Comment from: Conster, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 07

I had heat exhaustion today. Spent all day outside at the zoo, it was humid and hot (90 degrees), but no direct sunlight. I went home, and sat outside in the shade. I hadn't been hungry and hadn't eaten much. I went to mow the lawn and felt tired, but during mowing started to feel real weak, then slightly dizzy, and stomach cramps and nausea followed, all within a few minutes. I didn't make it to the back door before I started dry heaving. I ran inside, bent over sink, rank cold water and put it on my face, and then vomited for about 3 minutes. It is now evening, and I have drank one liter of water, and ate a little, but very tired, headache, and still having some nausea. This happened last year during tanning in a tanning bed. I didn't throw up as much, but I had to lie down for two hours after and was very weak. I don't sweat like most people do. I have never had sweat roll down my forehead. My skin just gets damp, so I think I'm very susceptible to it.

Comment from: angeleyes46, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

Heat exhaustion can happen even when swimming! The heat index was 107 degrees, drank plenty of rehydrating fluids, but wasn't enough. I was sweating then it stopped, I was dizzy, muscle cramps, severe headache, and lethargic. It took three days to recover; I may have been close to a heat stroke. Be careful even when swimming!

Comment from: Delores, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

Panting, no sweat. Red faced, stopped talking mid sentence. Walked one direction then sidestepped to the right until I fell and blacked out for a few minutes. Don't remember a few minutes while I was on the ground. Just Hot! Came home to take a cold bath. Took three cold baths to cool down. Then headache and exhausted. (I am talking Clonsazapam for and anti-anxiety med.)

Comment from: cyclistat60, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I went cycling on Saturday (very hot and humid) but drank enough fluids so that I only felt tired that day. Had a margarita that night but apparently didn't drink enough water and juices with potassium etc. to rehydrate because the next day I was dizzy and felt exhausted. I had had an earlier bout a couple of weeks before with vertigo and vomiting, hot and cold chills, so was apparently more vulnerable.

Comment from: annie, 55-64 Female Published: June 28

I was outside mowing the yard I did not eat breakfast. I was not hungry. I began getting tired, weak my legs felt tired and wetting. I drank a lot of water I felt better but didn't eat anything and started back mowing it was hot. I stop ate a hot dog felt better and drank a lot of water. After finish mowing. I was extremely tired took a bath and drank a lot of water but wasn't hungry and went to bed. After that day of mowing I have not felt the same since a lack of appetite and I am tired a lot.

Comment from: uriasfamilypc1, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

Along with all the symptoms you described, I was unable to think clearly or speak clearly. My temperature was 101 degrees. I think I was heading for heat stroke honestly. Thank GOD I was able to get out of the heat fast!

Heat Exhaustion - Treatments Question: What treatment did you receive for your heat exhaustion?
Heat Exhaustion - Causes Question: If you or someone you know has experienced heat exhaustion, what do you feel was the cause?
Heat Exhaustion - Medical Care Question: Please share your experience with heat exhaustion.
Heat Exhaustion - Complications Question: What were the complications of heat exhaustion experienced by you or someone you know?