Patient Comments: Heat Exhaustion - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your heat exhaustion?

Comment from: mrdrake, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 30

With heat exhaustion, I started experiencing numbness, nausea, and lightheadedness then started vomiting when I was sipping on cool to luke warm water...I then laid down with a cool damp rag in front of a fan...

Comment from: angeleyes46, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

Heat exhaustion can happen even when swimming! The heat index was 107 degrees, drank plenty of rehydrating fluids, but wasn't enough. I was sweating then it stopped, I was dizzy, muscle cramps, severe headache, and lethargic. It took three days to recover; I may have been close to a heat stroke. Be careful even when swimming!

Comment from: Delores, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

Panting, no sweat. Red faced, stopped talking mid sentence. Walked one direction then sidestepped to the right until I fell and blacked out for a few minutes. Don't remember a few minutes while I was on the ground. Just Hot! Came home to take a cold bath. Took three cold baths to cool down. Then headache and exhausted. (I am talking Clonsazapam for and anti-anxiety med.)

Comment from: cyclistat60, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I went cycling on Saturday (very hot and humid) but drank enough fluids so that I only felt tired that day. Had a margarita that night but apparently didn't drink enough water and juices with potassium etc. to rehydrate because the next day I was dizzy and felt exhausted. I had had an earlier bout a couple of weeks before with vertigo and vomiting, hot and cold chills, so was apparently more vulnerable.

Comment from: annie, 55-64 Female Published: June 28

I was outside mowing the yard I did not eat breakfast. I was not hungry. I began getting tired, weak my legs felt tired and wetting. I drank a lot of water I felt better but didn't eat anything and started back mowing it was hot. I stop ate a hot dog felt better and drank a lot of water. After finish mowing. I was extremely tired took a bath and drank a lot of water but wasn't hungry and went to bed. After that day of mowing I have not felt the same since a lack of appetite and I am tired a lot.

Comment from: uriasfamilypc1, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

Along with all the symptoms you described, I was unable to think clearly or speak clearly. My temperature was 101 degrees. I think I was heading for heat stroke honestly. Thank GOD I was able to get out of the heat fast!

Comment from: Lori, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I'm guessing that I had heat exhaustion. It was very hot in my house, outside temps were approximately 90 degrees. We couldn't afford to turn the Air Conditioning on so early in the season, so we had the windows open and a bunch of fans on. We were having dinner and suddenly I got a headache, I was having trouble swallowing, I became achy all over, I thought I was going to pass out and my heart began to race. I suddenly had diarrhea. When I got up from the table, I was very weak and walked slowly to the bathroom, holding onto furniture as I went. After the bathroom, I took an ice pack from the freezer, a wet wash cloth for my forehead and face and I turned a fan on blowing directly on me as I laid down on the bed. After an hour, I began to feel better but my heart didn't stop racing until another hour passed. After those 2 hours, I was able to get up and walk around. I felt very tired. I remained achy all over and had foot cramps for the entire night, allowing me only to get about 2 hours sleep total.

Heat Exhaustion - Treatments Question: What treatment did you receive for your heat exhaustion?
Heat Exhaustion - Causes Question: If you or someone you know has experienced heat exhaustion, what do you feel was the cause?
Heat Exhaustion - Medical Care Question: If you experienced heat exhaustion, what type of medical care did you receive? What were your main symptoms?
Heat Exhaustion - Complications Question: What were the complications of heat exhaustion experienced by you or someone you know?