Patient Comments: Heat Exhaustion - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your heat exhaustion?

Comment from: hockeynut, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 23

My husband was recently playing in a band that was performing at an Exhibition. It was a hot evening and he was on stage with bright lights. He was sweating profusely, felt lightheaded and he couldn't see the crowd of people. He felt that he was going to pass out so his buddy immediately gave him a stool so he could sit down.

Comment from: joshua, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 04

I recently suffered from heat exhaustion. My symptoms were low grade fever, fatigue, achy muscles, sore throat, and dizziness.

Comment from: roselady, 55-64 Female Published: July 18

The symptoms of my heat exhaustion included extreme muscle weakness, nausea, lightheadedness, disorientation, starting to pass out with blackness, and crowding vision.

Comment from: eagleheart, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 10

I recently suffered from heat exhaustion and my symptoms were cramps in the legs, profuse sweating, a salty taste in my mouth, a severe headache, and a very flushed face.

Comment from: santee57, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 07

When I had heat exhaustion, I had a severe headache, and I felt very hot. I was fatigued, my heart raced, I was breathing fast, and I had to go inside and cool down. I put ice water bottles under my armpits, on my inner wrists, forehead, and behind my knees.

Comment from: Monica_Taylor, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 07

When my daughter had heat exhaustion, she felt weak and nauseated. She felt as if she were going to faint. She developed white round, scaly patches on her cheeks.

Comment from: Tom T, 55-64 Male Published: June 07

I was bicycle riding and got too hot. With my heat exhaustion, I experienced fatigue, neck and arm weakness, and temporary (30 minutes) vision loss (extreme brightness).

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

I am not sure if I should be checked out or not. I don't have insurance so I hesitate. I finished mowing the yard almost half an hour ago. When I finished I was very weak and my legs hurt. I am not very physically fit, so it took me two hours to cut the yard. Now I'm feeling extremely nauseated. Have been drinking a lot of water. Not sure if the heat got to me or what. The sun was beating down pretty hard and it is already 84 degrees here.

Comment from: Conster, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 07

I had heat exhaustion today. Spent all day outside at the zoo, it was humid and hot (90 degrees), but no direct sunlight. I went home, and sat outside in the shade. I hadn't been hungry and hadn't eaten much. I went to mow the lawn and felt tired, but during mowing started to feel real weak, then slightly dizzy, and stomach cramps and nausea followed, all within a few minutes. I didn't make it to the back door before I started dry heaving. I ran inside, bent over sink, rank cold water and put it on my face, and then vomited for about 3 minutes. It is now evening, and I have drank one liter of water, and ate a little, but very tired, headache, and still having some nausea. This happened last year during tanning in a tanning bed. I didn't throw up as much, but I had to lie down for two hours after and was very weak. I don't sweat like most people do. I have never had sweat roll down my forehead. My skin just gets damp, so I think I'm very susceptible to it.

Heat Exhaustion - Treatments Question: What treatment did you receive for your heat exhaustion?
Heat Exhaustion - Causes Question: If you or someone you know has experienced heat exhaustion, what do you feel was the cause?
Heat Exhaustion - Medical Care Question: If you experienced heat exhaustion, what type of medical care did you receive? What were your main symptoms?
Heat Exhaustion - Complications Question: What were the complications of heat exhaustion experienced by you or someone you know?