Patient Comments: Heat Exhaustion - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your heat exhaustion?

Comment from: Pedals, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 28

I was at a football game yesterday and in the direct sun for about 5 hours. I was sweating and kept getting goose bumps, my body was not sure what to do. I drank water, but not enough to keep up obviously. We left the game and I noticed on the way home that the muscle in my neck was starting to cramp and throb, making my vision poor. I was light-headed and nauseated to the point of vomiting. I luckily made it home and proceeded to get sick. I jumped in the shower quickly to cool down and laid down immediately. The muscle in my neck was so cramped and making my whole body sick. I applied ice but still continued to vomit. I slept for a few hours and then went to bed for the night. This morning I continue to feel weak, but the nausea has gone away. I rehydrated with a sports drink and tried to get some water in but had to be careful/slow because of my continual vomiting.

Comment from: Tizzy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I walked in a fourth of July parade with my son, it was over 96 degrees and very humid. I sweat a lot normally but the heat caused me to be drenched in sweat to the point my clothing was wet. I kept drinking water but after being in the heat for over 3 hours and walking 5 miles, it was impossible to stay hydrated. I began to get light-headed and weak and got a headache once I got in the car and was nauseous.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 02

I attended a baseball game during this summer's heat wave. Our seats were in direct afternoon sunlight and I was drinking water and sweating profusely. By the time we returned to the car (after walking several city blocks), I was light headed, nauseated, and had a severe headache. My skin was cool and moist from sweating but I still felt warm. At home, I took a cool shower, but the nausea progressed to vomiting and generalized weakness and cramps. I recovered by rehydrating with sports drinks, taking analgesics for my pain, and resting in a cool, quiet place for several hours.

Comment from: 35-44 Female Published: August 29

I experienced heat exhaustion while out running errands. I had a severe headache, red patches on my arms, profuse sweating, fatigue and dizziness. I drank a bottle of water but didn't feel better. When I got home I drank more water, cranked the air conditioner and slept for two hours.

Comment from: hockeynut, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 23

My husband was recently playing in a band that was performing at an Exhibition. It was a hot evening and he was on stage with bright lights. He was sweating profusely, felt lightheaded and he couldn't see the crowd of people. He felt that he was going to pass out so his buddy immediately gave him a stool so he could sit down.

Comment from: joshua, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 04

I recently suffered from heat exhaustion. My symptoms were low grade fever, fatigue, achy muscles, sore throat, and dizziness.

Comment from: roselady, 55-64 Female Published: July 18

The symptoms of my heat exhaustion included extreme muscle weakness, nausea, lightheadedness, disorientation, starting to pass out with blackness, and crowding vision.

Comment from: eagleheart, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 10

I recently suffered from heat exhaustion and my symptoms were cramps in the legs, profuse sweating, a salty taste in my mouth, a severe headache, and a very flushed face.

Comment from: santee57, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 07

When I had heat exhaustion, I had a severe headache, and I felt very hot. I was fatigued, my heart raced, I was breathing fast, and I had to go inside and cool down. I put ice water bottles under my armpits, on my inner wrists, forehead, and behind my knees.

Heat Exhaustion - Treatments Question: What treatment did you receive for your heat exhaustion?
Heat Exhaustion - Causes Question: If you or someone you know has experienced heat exhaustion, what do you feel was the cause?
Heat Exhaustion - Medical Care Question: Please share your experience with heat exhaustion.
Heat Exhaustion - Complications Question: What were the complications of heat exhaustion experienced by you or someone you know?