Patient Comments: Heat Exhaustion - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your heat exhaustion?

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 02

I attended a baseball game during this summer's heat wave. Our seats were in direct afternoon sunlight and I was drinking water and sweating profusely. By the time we returned to the car (after walking several city blocks), I was light headed, nauseated, and had a severe headache. My skin was cool and moist from sweating but I still felt warm. At home, I took a cool shower, but the nausea progressed to vomiting and generalized weakness and cramps. I recovered by rehydrating with sports drinks, taking analgesics for my pain, and resting in a cool, quiet place for several hours.

Comment from: 35-44 Female Published: August 29

I experienced heat exhaustion while out running errands. I had a severe headache, red patches on my arms, profuse sweating, fatigue and dizziness. I drank a bottle of water but didn't feel better. When I got home I drank more water, cranked the air conditioner and slept for two hours.

Comment from: hockeynut, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 23

My husband was recently playing in a band that was performing at an Exhibition. It was a hot evening and he was on stage with bright lights. He was sweating profusely, felt lightheaded and he couldn't see the crowd of people. He felt that he was going to pass out so his buddy immediately gave him a stool so he could sit down.

Comment from: joshua, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 04

I recently suffered from heat exhaustion. My symptoms were low grade fever, fatigue, achy muscles, sore throat, and dizziness.

Comment from: roselady, 55-64 Female Published: July 18

The symptoms of my heat exhaustion included extreme muscle weakness, nausea, lightheadedness, disorientation, starting to pass out with blackness, and crowding vision.

Comment from: eagleheart, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 10

I recently suffered from heat exhaustion and my symptoms were cramps in the legs, profuse sweating, a salty taste in my mouth, a severe headache, and a very flushed face.

Comment from: santee57, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 07

When I had heat exhaustion, I had a severe headache, and I felt very hot. I was fatigued, my heart raced, I was breathing fast, and I had to go inside and cool down. I put ice water bottles under my armpits, on my inner wrists, forehead, and behind my knees.

Comment from: Monica_Taylor, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 07

When my daughter had heat exhaustion, she felt weak and nauseated. She felt as if she were going to faint. She developed white round, scaly patches on her cheeks.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

I am not sure if I should be checked out or not. I don't have insurance so I hesitate. I finished mowing the yard almost half an hour ago. When I finished I was very weak and my legs hurt. I am not very physically fit, so it took me two hours to cut the yard. Now I'm feeling extremely nauseated. Have been drinking a lot of water. Not sure if the heat got to me or what. The sun was beating down pretty hard and it is already 84 degrees here.

Heat Exhaustion - Treatments Question: What treatment did you receive for your heat exhaustion?
Heat Exhaustion - Causes Question: If you or someone you know has experienced heat exhaustion, what do you feel was the cause?
Heat Exhaustion - Medical Care Question: Please share your experience with heat exhaustion.
Heat Exhaustion - Complications Question: What were the complications of heat exhaustion experienced by you or someone you know?