Patient Comments: Heat Exhaustion - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your heat exhaustion?

Comment from: LanaLou, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I took an aerobics class at my gym, and I did stop frequently to march in place and tried not to overdo it. About an hour later, I had a blinding headache and I projectile vomited multiple times. After the initial vomiting, I slowly sipped water. Normally, I do not eat carbohydrates because I have insulin issues, but the best solution that someone told me for replenishing electrolytes in an emergency is water and salty French fries. It worked like a charm. I didn't mind eating the fries, either! There are lots of fast food places open 24 hours if this happens at night, like it did to me.

Comment from: OHP, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 10

I work in an occupational setting where people work with kilns five days a week, nine hours each day, in temperatures up to 42° C (about 107° F). Besides exhaustion, I would like to know if this heat condition could cause erectile dysfunction.

Comment from: Oz_Hiker, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

I was hiking with a backpack. We started 11:30 am and it was around 28 degrees Celsius. The first bit was straight up and within 40 minutes I had heat exhaustion but continued anyway. The rest of the trip was a nightmare. I was sweating profusely - enough that for 6 hours my piggy tails produced streams of water when rung out. My muscles were exhausted and extremely tight. I was down to pin steps by the end of the trip. I only experienced a feeling of boiling up and dizziness in the early stages. I drank two liters of water - although not vomiting when I drank I felt ill so I just sipped water from the camel pack. Whilst my travelling partner did not experience any symptoms she was much worse off the following day experiencing the muscle exhaustion I had the previous day while I was recovered although stiff.

Comment from: Pedals, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 28

I was at a football game yesterday and in the direct sun for about 5 hours. I was sweating and kept getting goose bumps, my body was not sure what to do. I drank water, but not enough to keep up obviously. We left the game and I noticed on the way home that the muscle in my neck was starting to cramp and throb, making my vision poor. I was light-headed and nauseated to the point of vomiting. I luckily made it home and proceeded to get sick. I jumped in the shower quickly to cool down and laid down immediately. The muscle in my neck was so cramped and making my whole body sick. I applied ice but still continued to vomit. I slept for a few hours and then went to bed for the night. This morning I continue to feel weak, but the nausea has gone away. I rehydrated with a sports drink and tried to get some water in but had to be careful/slow because of my continual vomiting.

Comment from: Tizzy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I walked in a fourth of July parade with my son, it was over 96 degrees and very humid. I sweat a lot normally but the heat caused me to be drenched in sweat to the point my clothing was wet. I kept drinking water but after being in the heat for over 3 hours and walking 5 miles, it was impossible to stay hydrated. I began to get light-headed and weak and got a headache once I got in the car and was nauseous.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 02

I attended a baseball game during this summer's heat wave. Our seats were in direct afternoon sunlight and I was drinking water and sweating profusely. By the time we returned to the car (after walking several city blocks), I was light headed, nauseated, and had a severe headache. My skin was cool and moist from sweating but I still felt warm. At home, I took a cool shower, but the nausea progressed to vomiting and generalized weakness and cramps. I recovered by rehydrating with sports drinks, taking analgesics for my pain, and resting in a cool, quiet place for several hours.

Comment from: 35-44 Female Published: August 29

I experienced heat exhaustion while out running errands. I had a severe headache, red patches on my arms, profuse sweating, fatigue and dizziness. I drank a bottle of water but didn't feel better. When I got home I drank more water, cranked the air conditioner and slept for two hours.

Heat Exhaustion - Treatments Question: What treatment did you receive for your heat exhaustion?
Heat Exhaustion - Causes Question: If you or someone you know has experienced heat exhaustion, what do you feel was the cause?
Heat Exhaustion - Medical Care Question: If you experienced heat exhaustion, what type of medical care did you receive? What were your main symptoms?
Heat Exhaustion - Complications Question: What were the complications of heat exhaustion experienced by you or someone you know?