Patient Comments: Heat Exhaustion - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your heat exhaustion?

Comment from: Sumilex, 35-44 Female Published: July 17

I work in a pizza shop, which by nature is a warm environment with ovens going constantly. Recently our area has experienced a heat wave. With the additional heat outside, and the sun shining in the front of the store, the temperature inside ranged from 91F to 98F. I worked a 14 hour shift in these conditions. It was busy so I was moving the whole time. I did consume a full gallon of water, which is a little more than usual. Unfortunately it was not enough. I was so very exhausted by the end of the night that I could barely stand. I had sweated quite a lot over the dinner rush. I usually work a long shift like that once a week so I was used to that. When I got home, I tried to cool off with a shower. It was not enough. I vomited several times over the next several hours. I couldn't tell if I was hot or cold, as now I was sitting in air conditioning. I have no other explanation for my symptoms other than the extended time in the heat. The following day I was still very weak and sensitive to being in the heat.

Comment from: mark, 55-64 Male Published: May 29

I was playing golf yesterday, and after nine holes felt really tired. It was hot all day and I could barely stand up. I could barely hold my head up on my shoulders. My hands were cramping and drawing up as well as my toes. I also had back cramps and felt like I was going to pass out. Even though it was a pretty sunny day, the clouds looked dark like it was overcast. It took a long time to cool down. I still feel ill and and am cramping after the next day. I'm not sure what happened to me. I have had this happen to me two or three times before – and all I'm really doing is riding in a cart and hardly exerting myself.

Comment from: LanaLou, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I took an aerobics class at my gym, and I did stop frequently to march in place and tried not to overdo it. About an hour later, I had a blinding headache and I projectile vomited multiple times. After the initial vomiting, I slowly sipped water. Normally, I do not eat carbohydrates because I have insulin issues, but the best solution that someone told me for replenishing electrolytes in an emergency is water and salty French fries. It worked like a charm. I didn't mind eating the fries, either! There are lots of fast food places open 24 hours if this happens at night, like it did to me.

Comment from: OHP, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 10

I work in an occupational setting where people work with kilns five days a week, nine hours each day, in temperatures up to 42° C (about 107° F). Besides exhaustion, I would like to know if this heat condition could cause erectile dysfunction.

Comment from: Oz_Hiker, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

I was hiking with a backpack. We started 11:30 am and it was around 28 degrees Celsius. The first bit was straight up and within 40 minutes I had heat exhaustion but continued anyway. The rest of the trip was a nightmare. I was sweating profusely - enough that for 6 hours my piggy tails produced streams of water when rung out. My muscles were exhausted and extremely tight. I was down to pin steps by the end of the trip. I only experienced a feeling of boiling up and dizziness in the early stages. I drank two liters of water - although not vomiting when I drank I felt ill so I just sipped water from the camel pack. Whilst my travelling partner did not experience any symptoms she was much worse off the following day experiencing the muscle exhaustion I had the previous day while I was recovered although stiff.

Comment from: Pedals, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 28

I was at a football game yesterday and in the direct sun for about 5 hours. I was sweating and kept getting goose bumps, my body was not sure what to do. I drank water, but not enough to keep up obviously. We left the game and I noticed on the way home that the muscle in my neck was starting to cramp and throb, making my vision poor. I was light-headed and nauseated to the point of vomiting. I luckily made it home and proceeded to get sick. I jumped in the shower quickly to cool down and laid down immediately. The muscle in my neck was so cramped and making my whole body sick. I applied ice but still continued to vomit. I slept for a few hours and then went to bed for the night. This morning I continue to feel weak, but the nausea has gone away. I rehydrated with a sports drink and tried to get some water in but had to be careful/slow because of my continual vomiting.

Comment from: Tizzy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I walked in a fourth of July parade with my son, it was over 96 degrees and very humid. I sweat a lot normally but the heat caused me to be drenched in sweat to the point my clothing was wet. I kept drinking water but after being in the heat for over 3 hours and walking 5 miles, it was impossible to stay hydrated. I began to get light-headed and weak and got a headache once I got in the car and was nauseous.

Heat Exhaustion - Treatments Question: What treatment did you receive for your heat exhaustion?
Heat Exhaustion - Causes Question: If you or someone you know has experienced heat exhaustion, what do you feel was the cause?
Heat Exhaustion - Medical Care Question: Please share your experience with heat exhaustion.
Heat Exhaustion - Complications Question: What were the complications of heat exhaustion experienced by you or someone you know?