Patient Comments: Heart Valve Disease - Symptoms

Question:What symptoms did you experience with heart valve disease?

Comment from: msggodservant, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 25

My daughter now 35 years old, was born with a heart murmur. They did a procedure that in so many days you pull the string that was located on the outside of her chest. Being a young mom I took her back to the doctor and let him do it. We thought everything was OK. Five years of age she had a seizure in her sleep which I thought was a regular fever, in which her doctor now says was rheumatic fever which caused damage to the valve in the heart and the hole to reopen. This has gone unnoted for 30 years she always had symptoms of heart failure. She has been treated for COPD, asthma, acid reflux, and told of the pain in chest and abdomen, but never an ultrasound of the heart. Now she is going to have open heart surgery to repair this leakage from this valve. If you experience any of these symptoms seek a cardiologist immediately just to be sure of your health.

Comment from: grannyW, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I was having shortness of breath when climbing stairs or when doing housework. I would also have shortness of breath when walking long distances. Along with this I was also have heart palpitations sometimes it felt like my heart was flipping over. I kept telling myself I was just getting older and out of shape. I had gained a few pounds but I had surgery a year before and blamed that on inactivity from that. During a regular doctor visit it was discovered that I had a heart murmur that I didn't have before. Tests were ordered which revealed my micro-valve was regurgitating blood back into the ventricle. I now take a beta blocker which keeps the heart palpitations I was having from happening.

Comment from: modelo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

I have heart valve disease and I have experienced fainting, weakness, bodily pain, shortness of breath, fever, sore throat, blisters in my mouth and throat, heart palpitation and insomnia. This a very scary feeling.

Comment from: Roxanne, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

Swelling of left lower leg from the knee down to my foot. I have shortness of breath if I walk too fast, so I have to walk slow or I get pains in my chest.

Comment from: alice, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 29

I was diagnosed with a heart murmur at 17 and later in life after tests determined I had a narrow pulmonary valve. Now I have been told that I have 2 leaky valves and have had several things happen recently such as lightheadedness, chest pain with jaw pain. I have an appointment scheduled with the cardiologist tomorrow. Was told to get to ER if I get another episode.

Comment from: kolariks, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 21

My mother had valve fusion. Two of her four valves were fused together. Ultimately she received a pig's valve. I have been fatigued for the last year. It has gotten so bad that I can't even leave bed for days at a time. I cannot catch my breath. I do Zumba and it is very difficult. I walked at a walk-a-thon and could not breathe the entire walk. I considered this to be from weight gain or some depression. I am a therapist and lost my job when developing a spur on my spine. Depression seemed to be a good initial diagnosis. I have always been healthy. I could not even finish Zumba tonight. My stomach is very bloated as well. I laid down on the floor this morning to hug my pup and could not catch my breath to get back up.

Comment from: ning2rasch, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I keep on having this cough and it is hard to breath. I have a headache constantly and dizzy. Three of my valves are leaking the aortic the mitral and tricuspid. I am having surgery by Jan but it seems my symptoms are getting worse and I am also a dialysis patient.