Patient Comments: Heart Rhythm Disorders - Type of Disorder

Please describe what type of heart rhythm disorder you have.

Comment from: big hearted, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

In November 05 2011 I was admitted to the hospital with shortness of breath. I felt like I was going to pee in my pants. Never did but the urge was there I could not control it. When I arrived at the hospital they hooked me up to a monitor and gave me a drug, not sure what it was, the next morning the doctor released me and told me he thinks I had a heart attack. He then prescribed a bunch of medications and told me to relax for 3 days before going back to work. I returned to work. Then I had an angioplasty and they told me my heart was 3 times larger than normal and over the course of this next 2 years I only found myself getting more and more short of breath. The prescriptions were changed a number of times but it continued to get worse. On Dec 27 of this year my arms were numb and tingling and I had shortness of breath. I went to the hospital, they then gave me a nitro spray, 2 sprays under the tongue. Everything went normal and I was sent home again. I had another angiogram done and they said they have to look at everything. Now I sit and wait. I don't know where it will go from here. I have just returned from another test (MUGA), now I sit and weight again with all new drugs.

Comment from: Joey, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 22

At 45 years old I had dizziness, blurred vision, and strange sensations in my chest that felt like radically irregular heartbeats. I bought a monitor with irregular heartbeat indicator and confirmed my suspicions. My doctor put a Holter monitor on me for 24 hours. It turns out I had over 1200 PACs in that 24 hour period (normal would be 3 to 10 in 24 hours). We eventually also found out I have apnea. They have never known what causes the extremely excessive PACs. Everything else looks fine. They say it is "similar to an electrical issue where you cannot find the short". I take Lopressor twice daily and for the most part it works wonders. Every once in a while it doesn't quite work so well and that is usually tied to either excessive exercise or exertion, a bad night's sleep and/or overeating.

Comment from: nanafrog07, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 09

My daughter is 19 years old. About six months ago, she developed severe chest pain with palpitations. She was admitted to the hospital. Her heart rate remained between 130 and 160 for four days. She had a normal echo, normal EKGs and normal lab results. She was sent home on Toprol and has continued to have a rapid heart rate in the 90s to low 100s with activity. She also continues to have chest pain. She has been told it is stress, but she says she does not feel stressed. We had a stress test done and are waiting on the results, but she says the doctor who performed the test told her she was not active enough. She is a non-smoker, non drinker, no caffenine, young woman. She had no health issues before this.

Comment from: jerry, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: February 11

My heart beat is erratic. It has been that way for many years now but I recently had some artery cleanouts and I have a small pain in my left shoulder. I have had two bypasses done in 2007 and a Roto-Rooter this past year.

Comment from: Working Woman Age 71, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

Slight fainting but able to keep balance, heart goes out of rhythm and fatigue sets in. Tried holding breath and bearing down, carotid massage no success. Had husband bring me home from place of employment. Vomited just as soon as arriving at home and rhythm cycled back. Had to rest for several hours in bed. Finally was able to get up and resume some normal activities. Very tired but went to work the next day after sleeping all night.

Comment from: Rich von Allmen, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 06

While being hospitalized for a heart atrial fibrillation, I was given Ambien to make me rest. I became crazy, violent, and had weird dreams. I threw my urinal at a nurse and then they restrained me by tying down my hands and feet. After I came out of the episode, I was afraid of the doctors and nurses, as they were in my weird dreams.

Abnormal Heart Rhythms - Treatments Question: How was your heart rhythm disorder treated?
Abnormal Heart Rhythms - Diagnosis Question: How was your heart rhythm disorders diagnosed?
Heart Rhythm Disorders - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you experience with your heart rhythm disorder?
Heart Rhythm Disorders - A-fib Question: How do you manage your atrial fibrillation?