Patient Comments: Heart Rhythm Disorders - Type of Disorder

Please describe what type of heart rhythm disorder you have.

Comment from: Heart beat, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 08

My heart starts beating at twice the rate, like I am running, and this condition can last from a few minutes to hours, and will stop on its own.

Comment from: hd, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 27

I was helping lift a heavy object and I felt like my heart had stopped, and after a skip or two it was back to normal. I felt very weak and was dizzy for a few seconds.

Comment from: jerry, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: February 11

My heart beat is erratic. It has been that way for many years now but I recently had some artery cleanouts and I have a small pain in my left shoulder. I have had two bypasses done in 2007 and a Roto-Rooter this past year.

Comment from: Working Woman Age 71, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

Slight fainting but able to keep balance, heart goes out of rhythm and fatigue sets in. Tried holding breath and bearing down, carotid massage no success. Had husband bring me home from place of employment. Vomited just as soon as arriving at home and rhythm cycled back. Had to rest for several hours in bed. Finally was able to get up and resume some normal activities. Very tired but went to work the next day after sleeping all night.

Comment from: Rich von Allmen, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 06

While being hospitalized for a heart atrial fibrillation, I was given Ambien to make me rest. I became crazy, violent, and had weird dreams. I threw my urinal at a nurse and then they restrained me by tying down my hands and feet. After I came out of the episode, I was afraid of the doctors and nurses, as they were in my weird dreams.

Comment from: renee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

I am 45 years old. Many years ago, a doctor caught an irregular heartbeat on one of my prenatal visits. Nothing ever came of it because they could never catch it again, even after hooking me up to electrodes and wires and such. (I think they were electrodes.) But over the years, they have come more often and more irregular beats at a time. It is never brought on by anything in particular; it's usually when I am relaxing in the evening. My heart will just start beating really fast for maybe eight seconds, give or take two or three. I have never smoked or done drugs. I do not take any kind of over-the-counter or prescribed drugs on a regular basis. I am usually pretty healthy.

Comment from: James, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: April 21

I am a 24-year-old male weightlifter. Recently, I developed an abnormal heart beat. My heartbeat will beat normally, and then suddenly delay for a beat, and then go back to a normal beat. I suffer from hypertension stage 1. I have seen my doctor about my concerns. She said that I have a heart murmur; I am already being treated for my hypertension and am getting an EKG tomorrow. I have not been to the gym since I started noticing my condition and am fast gaining back the body fat :( I hope that I can return to the gym soon because my sedentary state can't be helping my condition.

Comment from: redheadnana, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I am 45 years old and went to the hospital twice in the last five months because I thought I was having a heart attack. They gave me nitroglycerin several times both times. This last time, the doctor said that my blood work didn't coincide with what the monitors were telling him. He made sure I would promise that I would call my doctor and make an appointment Monday. (This was early Sunday morning. I woke up in the middle of the night with a heavy chest, difficulty breathing.) They called me Monday. My heart rate is staying 105 to 108 at rest. The doctor wants me to come in twice this week and next week. We will see what we do.

Abnormal Heart Rhythms - Treatments Question: How was your heart rhythm disorder treated?
Abnormal Heart Rhythms - Diagnosis Question: How was your heart rhythm disorders diagnosed?
Heart Rhythm Disorders - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you experience with your heart rhythm disorder?
Heart Rhythm Disorders - A-fib Question: How do you manage your atrial fibrillation?