Patient Comments: Heart Rhythm Disorders - Type of Disorder

Please describe what type of heart rhythm disorder you have.

Comment from: Rich von Allmen, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 06

While being hospitalized for a heart atrial fibrillation, I was given Ambien to make me rest. I became crazy, violent, and had weird dreams. I threw my urinal at a nurse and then they restrained me by tying down my hands and feet. After I came out of the episode, I was afraid of the doctors and nurses, as they were in my weird dreams.

Comment from: renee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

I am 45 years old. Many years ago, a doctor caught an irregular heartbeat on one of my prenatal visits. Nothing ever came of it because they could never catch it again, even after hooking me up to electrodes and wires and such. (I think they were electrodes.) But over the years, they have come more often and more irregular beats at a time. It is never brought on by anything in particular; it's usually when I am relaxing in the evening. My heart will just start beating really fast for maybe eight seconds, give or take two or three. I have never smoked or done drugs. I do not take any kind of over-the-counter or prescribed drugs on a regular basis. I am usually pretty healthy.

Comment from: James, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: April 21

I am a 24-year-old male weightlifter. Recently, I developed an abnormal heart beat. My heartbeat will beat normally, and then suddenly delay for a beat, and then go back to a normal beat. I suffer from hypertension stage 1. I have seen my doctor about my concerns. She said that I have a heart murmur; I am already being treated for my hypertension and am getting an EKG tomorrow. I have not been to the gym since I started noticing my condition and am fast gaining back the body fat :( I hope that I can return to the gym soon because my sedentary state can't be helping my condition.

Comment from: redheadnana, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I am 45 years old and went to the hospital twice in the last five months because I thought I was having a heart attack. They gave me nitroglycerin several times both times. This last time, the doctor said that my blood work didn't coincide with what the monitors were telling him. He made sure I would promise that I would call my doctor and make an appointment Monday. (This was early Sunday morning. I woke up in the middle of the night with a heavy chest, difficulty breathing.) They called me Monday. My heart rate is staying 105 to 108 at rest. The doctor wants me to come in twice this week and next week. We will see what we do.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

As of four weeks ago, my heart started palpitating in some unusual ways. I am a 51-year-old healthy woman with no other health problems at this point. I exercise regularly (about four to five times a weeks), and focus on cardio workouts. My heart has been functioning just fine, but with these irregular heart beats seeming to occur more frequently than when I first noticed them, I am beginning to wonder. There is no known heart disease in my family.

Comment from: Katherine, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I am an athletic 51 year old with no risk factors for heart disease. I run between 80-100 miles per month and an extremely active. I was rushed to the hospital with severe chest pain and pressure. After about 1 hour and just one blood series, I was sent home with a recommendation to see a cardiologist soon. However, I had a heart attack the next morning and was once again rushed to the hospital. The enzymes support the heart attack diagnosis. The cardio catheter showed "pristine arteries" with the exception of one very small artery at the back of the heart. The cardiologist was baffled. Before the heart attack my heart rate was normally around 50 and my blood pressure was normally around 95 over 60. After the heart attack I was put on a usual cardiac protocol med diet (plavix, low dose aspirin, and norvasc). Now, five weeks later my blood pressure is running about 125 over 70 and I am having heart palpitations. Sometimes my heart beats with such force I think it might jump out of my chest. The rate doesn't seem to be greater, just the force level. The latest EKG indicates "no heart damage" and I have been told that I can run "as much as I want".

Comment from: Marie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 18

I am 23 years old, who is working hard, walked a lot on my work, and even on high pressure and tension that work brought to me, few weeks ago I have noticed a light chest pain and palpitations, and sometimes I have difficulties in breathing at night.

Abnormal Heart Rhythms - Treatments Question: How was your heart rhythm disorder treated?
Abnormal Heart Rhythms - Diagnosis Question: How was your heart rhythm disorders diagnosed?
Heart Rhythm Disorders - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you experience with your heart rhythm disorder?
Heart Rhythm Disorders - A-fib Question: How do you manage your atrial fibrillation?