Patient Comments: Heart Murmur - Symptoms

Describe your symptoms experienced with heart murmur

Comment from: Niomi, 0-2 (Caregiver) Published: March 17

My daughter went in to hospital at 2 months of age, due to a change in temperature (going hot and cold) and she was extremely sweaty all over her body but worse on her head and back, she also had slight discoloration of her skin. It was then that they picked up she had a heart murmur, she got sent for an x-ray which showed that she has a very large heart and shadowing on her right side. She then had several tests including an echo which showed that some of her valves were still open and her blood/oxygen was quite aggressive around her heart. She also has a severe cow's milk intolerance and digestive problems, which means she is on a special formula which we have to order from the chemist and she is on Gaviscon to help with her acid reflux. She is now 3 months old and has got to go back to the hospital in a few days to have repeat tests.

Comment from: StacyG, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I'm a 29 year old female who has had a heart murmur since birth. I recently had a bad palpitation episode that lasted 15 minutes. That sent me into my first panic attack and ever since that day I have had extreme anxiety. The doctor put me on antidepressants and Ativan as needed. I had every test done that you could think of and my heart was fine, all except I have a trace of mitral valve regurgitation. My heart still flutters and it's a very scary thing. I will be a nervous wreck for the rest of my life.

Comment from: Mich, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 19

I have been diagnosed with a heart murmur in my early forties, I am now 49. The cardiologist I saw about 4 years ago said that it wasn't life threatening but that I had to stop smoking (still can't give up). I have been taking ten blocker for the past 4 years and this has managed to keep me calm. As I was suffering from extreme anxiety after being diagnosed with the heart murmur. Currently I am doing great, but I do sometimes get heart burn but I think it's from what I eat and drink. I enjoy my red wine very much. But yes, the anxiety part sets me back a little. My GP also listened to my heart and he says that my heart beats like a horse's! I sincerely hope that this is a good sign.

Comment from: Adamo, 45-54 Male Published: December 10

My mother used to tell me I had a heart murmur as a child. I've led a pretty active life since then, work, sports. Maintained my weight- hardly ever more than 5-10 over my average (155-165) at 5'8". For the most part, no junk food, soda. I do mainly drink wine or sometime beer. So, In the last few years I have been experiencing what feels like a very brief skip of a (heart) beat followed by a minor palpitation of sort. For that moment I sort of have to catch my bMy mother used to tell me I had a heart murmur as a child. I've led a pretty active life since then, work, sports. I have maintained my weight- hardly ever more than 5-10 over my average (155-165) at 5'8". For the most part, no junk food, or soda. I do mainly drink wine or sometime beer. So, In the last few years I have been experiencing what feels like a very brief skip of a (heart) beat followed by a minor palpitation of sort. For that moment I sort of have to catch my breath but like a said it's very brief. The odd thing is a lot of times I will notice it after I eat. I used to think it was (maybe) indigestion of some kind. The last physical I had (over five years ago), doc claimed no major heart issues aside from cholesterol being a little high.reath but like a said it's very brief. The odd thing is a lot of times I will notice it after I eat?? I used to think it was (maybe) indigestion of some kind. The last physical I had (over five years ago), doc claimed no major heart issues aside from cholesterol being a little high.

Comment from: Penenlop, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

I was diagnosed with a heart murmur this past summer. It seems to be bothering me more now. My Dr. had not detected it before. I had chemo and radiation about fifteen years ago for breast cancer. I just wonder if that could have caused it. I also suffer from anxiety, slightly high blood pressure, and high triglycerides and cholesterol which I take medication for.

Comment from: 75 or over Male Published: January 14

I had a sense of blood flowing in my upper left chest area.

Comment from: gizella65, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 09

I was born with a heart murmur, I am now 46 and I am having a lot of problems with my heart. Whether it has anything to do with my murmur or not it is very scary. My father passed away of a coronary heart attack at 36 he just fell asleep and never awoke. I get very frightened of this thinking one day this could happen to me.

Heart Murmur - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with heart murmur.
Heart Murmur - Diagnosis Question: How was your heart murmur diagnosed?
Heart Murmur - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your heart murmur?
Heart Murmur - Causes Question: If known, what is the cause of your heart murmur? Please discuss your symptoms and experience.