Patient Comments: Heart Murmur - Experience

Please describe your experience with heart murmur.

Comment from: Rainy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I had been told I have a valve that stays open an extra beat or two sometimes. When it happens it feels like butterflies in my chest. In the past these skipped beats just lasted seconds sometimes slightly more but never very long, and I could go a long time between feeling them, like months. What is happening now though is I have been having these heart murmurs over the last couple of nights and have had them last for 3 or 4 hours. I have a long history with auto immune disease since childhood but things seem to be getting worse and more frequent.

Comment from: Mina, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I'm 35 and I was just told by my doctor that he can hear a slight heart murmur. However he didn't tell me that I have to see a specialist. I never had any problems in my heart area except maybe once a year I get a sudden sharp pain around it that goes away in few seconds. It's been happening almost all my life but extremely rare. Also I am anemic so I was wondering maybe it's my anemia that caused the murmur to appear. I'm a bit worried, wondering if I should see a specialist after all.

Comment from: GreenElbow, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I've had a heart murmur since I was a child; I had rheumatic fever and shortness of breath. Last year I had 5 blockages in my heart, one was 95% blocked. Needless to say I had to have surgery. I wonder if the murmur have anything to do with the blockages or surgery.

Heart Murmur - Symptoms Question: Please describe the symptoms you experienced with heart murmur.
Heart Murmur - Diagnosis Question: How was your heart murmur diagnosed?
Heart Murmur - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your heart murmur?
Heart Murmur - Causes Question: If known, what is the cause of your heart murmur?