- Heart Disease Slideshow Pictures
- Medical Illustrations of the Heart Image Collection
- Take the Heart Disease Quiz!
After the Lead Extraction
- The doctor will remove the sheath.
- You will be admitted to the hospital overnight. You will be placed on a special monitor called telemetry that allows your heart rhythm to be displayed on monitors in the nursing unit.
- If you had new leads and a pacemaker implanted, you will also have a Holter monitor to record your heart rhythm for several hours. This is another way to check proper pacemaker function.
- If the femoral approach was used, you will need to lay flat in bed for several hours after the procedure.
- The morning after your lead extraction you will have a chest X-ray to check your lungs and the position of any new leads that may have been implanted.
- Before you leave the hospital, your doctor and nurse will talk to you about activity, medications or any follow-up appointments
WebMD Medical Reference
Reviewed by Robert J Bryg, MD on September 15, 2009