Heart Disease and Lead Extraction
Heart lead extraction facts
A pacemaker or implantable cardioverter defibrillator (ICD) deliver energy to the heart muscle through wires called leads. A lead extraction is the removal of one or more leads from inside the heart.
Leads that are placed outside the heart during open heart surgery cannot be removed during this type of procedure.
When Is a Lead Extraction Needed?
This procedure is needed when your leads are not working properly. This can be caused by:
How Do I Prepare For a Lead Extraction
To prepare for the procedure, you should:
- Allergic Skin Disorders
- Bacterial Skin Diseases
- Bites and Infestations
- Diseases of Pigment
- Fungal Skin Diseases
- Medical Anatomy and Illustrations
- Noncancerous, Precancerous & Cancerous Tumors
- Oral Health Conditions
- Papules, Scales, Plaques and Eruptions
- Scalp, Hair and Nails
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
- Vascular, Lymphatic and Systemic Conditions
- Viral Skin Diseases
- Additional Skin Conditions