Patient Comments: Heart Attacks in Women - Signs and Symptoms

If you've had a heart attack, what were your signs and symptoms?

Comment from: jmu1975, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I had a heart attack 8 months ago. I had just lost 15 pounds for my daughter's wedding and had been eating well and getting plenty of exercise. I am not overweight, but I do have high blood pressure for which I was on medication and have high cholesterol with low HDL. I awoke to low back pain that was a nagging pain but didn't think anything much of it, just that maybe I had overdone it. As the day progressed I noticed my blood pressure was on the high side which is unusual since I am on medications. I still didn't think much of it, had heartburn before dinner time and took something for it. It seemed better, I went out shopping and collapsed and went unconscious. I was alone in the store in a remote section of the store and came to on my own. I was sweating profusely and vomited. I still had no idea. I blamed it on the fact it had been so hot and maybe I was dehydrated. I went to the emergency room where after hours of tests I was told I had had a heart attack and I had to have angioplasty and 2 stents placed, one for 100 percent blockage and the other for 80 percent blockage. I never thought it could happen to me. I was 57.

Heart Attacks in Women - Prevention Question: As a woman, how do you prevent heart disease or a heart attack?
Heart Attacks in Women - Blood Pressure Question: If you've been diagnosed with hypertension, how have you lowered your blood pressure?
Heart Attacks in Women - Cholesterol and Triglycerides Question: How often do you get your levels for cholesterol and triglycerides checked? Please share your experience.
Heart Attacks in Women - Heredity Question: Does heart disease run in your family? In what ways are you trying to minimize the risk?