- Heart Disease Slideshow Pictures
- Medical Illustrations of the Heart Image Collection
- Take the Heart Disease Quiz!
- Find a local Cardiologist in your town
- Heart attack prevention facts
- What is a heart attack?
- What are the signs and symptoms of a heart attack in men and women?
- Are signs and symptoms of a heart attack different in women?
- What can I do to prevent a heart attack when home alone?
- What kinds of diets are recommended to prevent heart attacks?
- What tips and lifestyle changes can be made to prevent a heart attack?
- Will exercise reduce my risk of having a heart attack?
- What diseases or conditions put a person at a higher risk for a heart attack?
Quick GuideHeart-Healthy Foods Pictures Slideshow: 25 Foods to Protect Your Cardiovascular System
What kinds of diets are recommended to prevent heart attacks?
A heart-healthy diet is full of
- fruits and veggies,
- whole grains,
- low-fat dairy,
- lean poultry,
- fish, and
- red meat, and
- sugary sodas.
There is evidence that natural plant-based, vegetarian or vegan diets may be helpful in preventing and even reversing heart disease.
What tips and lifestyle changes can be made to prevent a heart attack?
Leading a heart-healthy lifestyle is the best way to prevent heart disease and heart attack. Follow these tips to reduce your risk factors for heart attack.
- Eat a heart-healthy diet.
- Maintain a healthy weight.
- Don't smoke.
- Limit alcohol intake.
- Manage diabetes and blood pressure.
- Exercise regularly.
- Reduce stress.
- Take prescribed medications as directed.
- Reduce stress (take stress management classes or yoga)