Patient Comments: Heart attack - Symptoms

The symptoms of heart attack can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

A Doctor's View on 12 Heart Attack Symptoms and Early Warning Signs

Read the Comment by Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD

Knowing the early warning signs and symptoms of a heart attack may save the life of you or a loved one. Learning subtle signs like chest discomfort, anxiety, or heartburn, is particularly helpful, considering many heart attacks that lead to cardiac arrest and death can start gradually with diverse symptoms. Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: FedWorker, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I have high blood pressure (BP) and a very stressful job. I think I had a heart attack on February 27th while at work. I was not feeling well and stepped into the restroom. I began to sweat profusely, shaking. Too embarrassed to call for help from the stall, I waited for it to subside. Ten minutes later, I made my way back to my desk. Several people concerned with my paleness, sat with me. Suddenly my pants seemed too tight, and my shoes seemed too tight to keep them on. I knew something was seriously wrong, but didn't want to admit it. I asked to go home for the day and drove home. I checked my blood pressure and it was 193/123. I doubled up on my BP medicines and lay down. I got to the doctor 4 days later. BP was 156/108 and the doctor changed my medicines (new doctor). BP at this time going up and heart rate going down. I returned to the doctor 3 days after my 1st appointment. BP was 178/110 and heart rate 44. The doctor changed my medicines again. I had a week of fatigue and weakness. BP is now down but still not in normal range, heart rate back where it should be. EKG and next appointment is on March 17th. I do not know if they can tell me if it was a heart attack. But hindsight being 20/20, I believe it was and I am lucky it was not worse. Lesson to learn, don't be embarrassed, call for help or 911.

Comment from: 12Semi, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 15

Before heart attack I had mild indigestion and then I felt an unusual pain in the bottom of my lungs. Because I had recently been told my blood pressure was high, I went straight to the emergency room. I had elevated troponin, RCA (right coronary artery) 98 percent LAD (left anterior descending artery) 65 percent, so had one stent in each. LAD had restenosis after 4 months and was displayed either post-prandial or following exertion (fast walking). Pain was inside right shoulder, came on suddenly, and diminished rather slowly, 3 minutes.

Comment from: Did You Die, Male (Patient) Published: January 12

My heart attack happened just one week before my 52nd birthday. I'm active and considered myself to be in decent shape. As a matter of fact, I ran 5K the morning of my heart attack. I had no early signs; no elevated blood pressure, no signs of fatigue, etc. At 5:00 pm one Sunday afternoon I began experiencing a pain in the middle of my chest. I've had heartburn before and I usually take Zantac for it when I have a flare up. I had just finished a leftover ham sandwich so I was attributing the heartburn (or so I thought) to that. After taking the Zantac and getting no results, I began to get nauseated, sweating and my skin became cold and clammy. I began to sense I may be in trouble and sought help. I made it to the hospital at 6:00 pm and went into cardiac arrest at 6:08 pm. I was defibrillated 4 times, as I was later informed, to get me back. Doctors administered TPA (tissue plasminogen activator) as there was another heart attack victim undergoing surgery at that time. The TPA was successful in clearing the clot around my heart. Tuesday afternoon I was back at the house, sore, but as if nothing ever happened. The best advice I can give is to listen to your body. If you're experiencing things you're not normally feeling, seek help immediately. I almost waited too long and orphaned my two children.

Comment from: Judy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

Before the heart attack, I had high blood pressure and pressure in the heart area for 2 days.

Comment from: donmejm, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: September 04

I had my MI (myocardial infarction) after cutting and dumping wood. I experienced intense pressure in the center of my chest and was extremely short of breath. Also, experienced onset of heavy sweats. I was with a son who had me in emergency room (ER) in 15 minutes where the ER crew immediately diagnosed MI and administered emergency treatment. I was transported to cardiac unit in nearby medical center and had two stents placed. Another stent was placed in a 95% blockage 6 weeks later. I went through cardio rehabilitation for 5 weeks and felt great. Problem now is a consistent fading of energy every 3 to 4 days and the 'downer' lasts for a day to a day and a half, consistently week after week. Weakness may occur during the day on any day and then fade away. I wonder why this seemingly regular weakness is settling in as a way of life now.

Comment from: JTB, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 04

My heart attack symptom is jaw pain, usually have palpitations in throat, but this is just jaw ache.

Heart Attack - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your heart attack?
Heart Attack - Diagnosis Question: Please describe the events that led to a diagnosis of a heart attack. What tests and exams did you have?