Patient Comments: Heart attack - Symptoms

The symptoms of heart attack can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Published: July 09

I am a 57 female that actually had a heart attack in the doctor's office. I had no pain, just nausea. I felt like I had a virus. I was rushed to the emergency room, and I had a blocked artery that was treated with a stent. This was in 2003.

Published: July 02

My heart attack woke me at 6 a.m. I had a bad pain in my right jaw but not like toothache. I got out of bed and had a wash and hoped it would go away, but it didn't. I had a few pains in my chest but not bad. I decided to go to the hospital nearby and ask them if I had indigestion. I got a lift from my caretaker and then started to sweat badly. I got to the hospital in five minutes and was having a heart attack. This was seven years ago.

Published: June 20

One minute, I felt fine. Then, I laid down on the couch to watch TV and propped my feet up. Immediately, it felt like blood rushing to my head. I sat up but the sense of pressure continued and I suddenly felt like I had a huge "gas bubble" around my left breast--repeated belching with no relief, no matter what I tried- just lots of pressure. There was also a dull ache extending into my armpit. I asked my daughter to take me to the ER. Please note, ALWAYS call an ambulance instead--if I'd had cardiac arrest on the way, I wouldn't be here today. I also took 2 aspirin which the Drs. said was very good advice. The nausea & sweats you expect didn't come for me until I was already being treated in ER. I ended up having stents in 2 clogged arteries while the rest of my heart looked fine. I am now on Nitro patches w/an occasional NG tablet under the tongue as needed for angina pains.

Comment from: taimaryn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

My heart attack was silent. In thinking back I had complained of sweating over simple jobs like vacuuming. I got tired more easily. I am now waiting to get ultrasound of my heart to see how much damage is done.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 04

I am 49 years old and was diagnosed with heart disease at the ripe old age of 33. I had two blockages at one time, one was 95 percent, and the other was about 85 percent blocked. No operations have been done yet, just medications, physician care and, of course, change in lifestyle. What brought this to the forefront for me was jaw pain while mowing the lawn.

Comment from: kevin, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 25

I had pain in my left shoulder which grew sharper when I breathed in.

Heart Attack - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your heart attack?
Heart Attack - Diagnosis Question: Please describe the events that led to a diagnosis of a heart attack. What tests and exams did you have?