Patient Comments: Heart attack - Symptoms

The symptoms of heart attack can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: footdr, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 09

I began feeling what could be considered indigestion, I took 2 tums but it persisted, I then began feeling generally "achy" in my upper back and upper arms. I thought to myself that I might be having a heart attack. I was prepared as I always kept a lipstick sized bottle of Bayer Aspirin in my purse just in case someone was having a heart attack, including me, I took an aspirin and woke my husband who is a Podiatric Surgeon and said, " I think I might be having a heart attack" as it felt more than just indigestion. He planned to drive me to the ER but as we started to walk down stairs I felt faint, sat down and said, "better call 911." Upon arrival at ER the most telling test done was a blood test that would indicate whether certain "enzymes" were elevated that indicate a heart attack. In the a.m. I had a CT scan where fluid was injected into my body, then my Cardiologist immediately ordered an angioplasty and discovered a closed artery, then another cardiologist was called in to place a stent in the artery to open it up. I was hospitalized for a total of 5 days. I was prescribed Effient, a blood thinner and two other medications. I have hereditary high cholesterol, fatty liver and high lipids. So I am on 5 medications to try to bring my levels within normal range.

Comment from: Maria, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 09

I started out my morning as usual taking my dogs for a walk half a block into my walk I stared feeling a pain in my chest, it felt like brain freeze, I thought it was pollen in the air, then walking around in my house I felt the same pain. So I called around trying to find a doctor that would see me without medical insurance. I found one at Cleveland Clinic. My appointment was in two weeks. By now after researching my symptoms I knew it was my heart so I was taking 345 mg of aspirin after each meal. Now I was waking up with pain. I would pray every night before I went to bed... I have a 12 year old son and a 14 year son and I wanted to be around for them. Finally I made it to my appointment. They did an EKG which was abnormal they sent me to the catheter my main artery and my left ascending were 90% blocked AKA widow maker. So they could not open with stent. The next day I had a double bypass. I thank God for answering my prayers.

Comment from: Sparkie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I had pain in my right arm around 4 a.m. and got back to sleep and woke to more pain about 6 a.m. This time, the pain was moving to my underarm, then to my chest. By 9 a.m., I got to the hospital. At 10 a.m., I still didn't think it could be a heart attack, but a blood test proved I had a heart attack. By 6:30 p.m., I had a stent put in and was back in my room by 10:30 p.m. Stents are great.

Comment from: jreagan1626, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 29

I am a 54 year old woman. Because I do not have health insurance, I did not seek treatment when i had hard heavy pain in the middle of my checst of and on for days. I treated it with antacids as if it was heartburn. I finally had a massive frontal heart attack, with two stints. i now am very ill, the stints are collapsing and I have signed a do not resusitate order since I do not have the money or health insurance to stay alive. I hope there are not more people in my situation, knowing you are going to die because you can not afford open heart surgery or even get any more testing due to lack of job and funds.

Comment from: rlc, (Patient) Published: November 29

I'm a 45-year-old male and had a heart attack Nov. 6, 2008. I have had two lower back disks ruptured and was confusing the pain between my shoulders as transferred muscle tension. On the morning of the 6th, I went to work and was sitting at my desk when the pain in my chest and between my shoulders became extreme. EMS was called and about 30 minutes later, I was in the ER going straight into surgery to have a blockage ballooned. I now have three stents and am feeling an ache in the chest and sharp twinges in the chest. I will have more tests run next week.

Comment from: tcujo89, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 18

I am a 37-year-old female who recently suffered a heart attack in September. The night before I had what I thought was heartburn, but when I got up in the morning, it had not eased up. Within two hours, I had a severe burning-type cramp in my left chest that radiated down my left shoulder and into my left jaw. Upon seeking emergency medical help, I was told it was a heart attack.

Heart Attack - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your heart attack?
Heart Attack - Diagnosis Question: Please describe the events that led to a diagnosis of a heart attack. What tests and exams did you have?