Patient Comments: Heart attack - Symptoms

The symptoms of heart attack can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: Sparkie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I had pain in my right arm around 4 a.m. and got back to sleep and woke to more pain about 6 a.m. This time, the pain was moving to my underarm, then to my chest. By 9 a.m., I got to the hospital. At 10 a.m., I still didn't think it could be a heart attack, but a blood test proved I had a heart attack. By 6:30 p.m., I had a stent put in and was back in my room by 10:30 p.m. Stents are great.

Comment from: jreagan1626, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 29

I am a 54 year old woman. Because I do not have health insurance, I did not seek treatment when i had hard heavy pain in the middle of my checst of and on for days. I treated it with antacids as if it was heartburn. I finally had a massive frontal heart attack, with two stints. i now am very ill, the stints are collapsing and I have signed a do not resusitate order since I do not have the money or health insurance to stay alive. I hope there are not more people in my situation, knowing you are going to die because you can not afford open heart surgery or even get any more testing due to lack of job and funds.

Comment from: rlc, (Patient) Published: November 29

I'm a 45-year-old male and had a heart attack Nov. 6, 2008. I have had two lower back disks ruptured and was confusing the pain between my shoulders as transferred muscle tension. On the morning of the 6th, I went to work and was sitting at my desk when the pain in my chest and between my shoulders became extreme. EMS was called and about 30 minutes later, I was in the ER going straight into surgery to have a blockage ballooned. I now have three stents and am feeling an ache in the chest and sharp twinges in the chest. I will have more tests run next week.

Comment from: tcujo89, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 18

I am a 37-year-old female who recently suffered a heart attack in September. The night before I had what I thought was heartburn, but when I got up in the morning, it had not eased up. Within two hours, I had a severe burning-type cramp in my left chest that radiated down my left shoulder and into my left jaw. Upon seeking emergency medical help, I was told it was a heart attack.

Comment from: montcolady, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

I had tremendous left arm pain and went to the E.R. only to be told it was bursitis. I was given a shot for pain and put into a sling. I had no shortness of breath or chest pain. I am a 57 year old woman and nobody even suggested doing tests or consulting with a Cardiologist. Five days later I had a heart attack and had emergency quadruple bypass surgery!

Comment from: Upinthehillz, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 21

I'm a 51 year-old-old male. The morning I had my heart attack, I felt tired, as if I had the flu or a cold. Then the sweats came and with more activity, I felt worse. Then came the stabbing pain in my left arm, along with dizziness, and the feeling of not being able to function. I called 911, and when they got there, they said I was gray in color.

Comment from: VJKelly, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 11

One of the symptoms of my heart attack was pain between my shoulder blades as if I were sitting on a floor with my legs stretched out and someone pushed my head forward to try and touch my toes. I also had nausea and twinges of pain down my right arm. I felt this overwhelming feeling of doom, as if my body was fighting to stay alive, which it was.

Comment from: Ladybug1734, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 04

I am 35 years old. I had a heart attack on July 22. I went to the ER the day before with severe pain to the right side of my back, and I was very sick to my stomach. They ran some test and sent me home with some medications. The next morning I was feeding and watering my dogs and I just felt dizzy for a second so I told my best friend I was going to lie down on the coach. By the time I got the water turned off, I felt like someone was beating on the center of my chest. I took about 30 steps and lied down on the coach and started sweating so bad it was like someone soaked me down with a water hose. I just looked at my best friend and told her to call 911. Then I started vomiting really bad. I don't remember much after that. I woke up three days later and the doctor and my family told me what happened to me.

Heart Attack - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your heart attack?
Heart Attack - Diagnosis Question: Please describe the events that led to a diagnosis of a heart attack. What tests and exams did you have?